Why I Think the Tier List is Bad.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

icelordulmo

10-20-2010

People are generally stupid and do stupid things. This includes being on my level (1100-1200) and thinking the tier list applies to them, so they pick champions who are "supposed to be Tier 1" and suck at them. I know these people have played HUNDREDS of games, and there's got to be someone else they're better or at least decent at.

"But icelord, it's for ranked 5v5 and says so." Yeah. Read my first sentence again. I don't care if you put a disclaimer on it, that doesn't mean tons and tons of people aren't misusing and/or misinterpreting the information provided there. I am tired of seeing the same 4 guys get banned (amumu, morgana, kogmaw, and (wtf?) garen) and the same 15 or so champions get picked nearly every game.

My argument, basically, is this. Hordes of people are misusing the information provided in the tier list. It's supposedly only applicable to high elo, premade, 5v5, ranked games. Why, then, is it in the General Discussion forum? Riot, you claim to be all about making the game fun, and eliminating anti-fun. Well, for me, at least, all this "Tier list" **** is really not enjoyable.

Liquidone

10-20-2010

Tier lists are to be taken with a grain salt.

TheShortestPath

10-20-2010

Don't blame Elementz for the sheep being stupid, blame the people that promote said stupidity.

Paeter

10-20-2010

OP, you need to work on making sense in your posts

AwwGasm

10-20-2010

Think of how much worse they'd be doing playing a lower tier champ o_o

RowanWrafe

10-20-2010

If people misuse the information provided in a tier-list isn't their own fault, not the fault of the maker of the tier list (in my opinion anyway).

Pamplemousse

10-20-2010

The tier list isn't even something Riot creates or controls so they can't exactly change it to make the game more fun in some magical way.

As far as those bans, they're pretty solid bans. It's true not everyone can use them well. It's also true though that many players can, and if you're not banning them and not planning to use them, you're risking placing them in the hands of a skilled opponent.

People may seem completely clueless on the internet but most of them can still learn. If someone takes a tier 1 champion and loses horribly with it over and over, they'll stop picking them (and possibly coming on the forums to complain about how UP that champion is!).

To be realistic too, I'm fairly sure the majority of the people who play the game don't even visit the forums and haven't even seen this tier list before. The bans solidifying is likely more an issue of them having come against a skilled person with that champion and found it far too much to deal with or (sadly the more likely reason) were flamed by their teammates for their ban choices until they came across a set of them that the general populace was okay with.

Just because what you see resembles the tier list doesn't mean that it's the cause of what you're actually getting. There are players who blindly follow tier lists but there are many many more factors players use to determine who is good and who is bad. If the tier list is accurate, players are expected to naturally come to the same conclusions given enough experience with the game, assuming they constantly improve. (yes, the big one everyone talks about is for ranked 5v5, but most of the characters at their tiers don't take such high coordination that you need vent to make them useful in solo queue).

Bloodpaly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2010

There are many posts in GD that are harmful to the community, in the wrong forum, stupid, or just misinterpreted by many people.

Stop singling out elementz please.. These threads get ridiculous.

YYZed

10-20-2010

Hey dude, a common top 4 ban will always exist whether there is a tierlist or not.

People know an Amumu ult can easily win a team fight, hence why he is banned.
People know Kog'maw's dps is rediculous, hence why he is banned.
People know Morgana's damage and utility are high, in addition she's annoying to play against, hence the ban.
People know Garen is not fun to play against when he facerolls your squishee's, hence why he is banned.

Before that it was Ezreal, Shaco, and Heimerdinger before their nerfs, same with Xin Zhao, Soraka, and Taric before those 3.

Grunghole

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2010

I agree with everything you've posted, but with a caveat: It's true that tier lists don't apply to 99% of players, people act like they do. At middle to low ELO games, player skill is entirely dominant over champion selection. That's all there is to it.

When you're playing against regular joes, you can use any champ you want, and do well. So can they. For example: I've gone 15/1/x as Tryndamere. He's on the lowest of the low tiers. Obviously, the tier list has no impact on the game as I play it, which is scrub vs scrub. And that's fine. The list isn't for me. Only idiots would think it is.