Epidemic Singed 3d Model WIP (Screenshots inside)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scodo

01-19-2013

UPDATE:: Epidemic Singed is now finished and available for download at http://leaguecraft.com/skins/17803-e...c-singed.xhtml

I've updated the pictures to include in-game shots.

I've been working on turning my drawing of Epidemic Singed into a workable 3d mesh and I feel like I finally have enough progress to start a thread for it.

I'm attaching pictures of the production mesh with the baked Normal and Ambient Occlusion maps, as well as a shot of the original high poly sculpt and the entire UV layout from the unwrapping process. The next step is to make some high poly sculpts of the props for additional normals/AO and finally paint the color maps. The reason I am posting at this point in the process is because the hardest parts for me are now over and painting the texture should be a straightforward, if lengthy, process. The production mesh itself, props included, clocks in at just shy of 6k triangles

I think I've managed to make a pretty faithful recreation of my original concept, and I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts. Also, if anyone has any information on model swapping I'd love to be able to make this into a downloadable skin for Singed. I have only a basic knowledge of rigging but I just can't find any decent information on the subject specifically pertaining to LoL.

EDIT:: Updated with progress

MrSlipperHat

01-20-2013

Dude. work for riot.

Foxbyte

01-20-2013

Your normal map looks a bit messy - seeing as you're in Maya there, I would suggest hitting the Polygons menu > Normals > Harden Edge on all of your border edges (for instance, the bottom edge of his coat, the creases around his belt where it meets the coat, etc).

You might then tweak some UV placements to try to reduce the black "fade-off" effect you get near those edges. Or, if you know how to mess with normal maps, you could just paint those areas out in Photoshop (this is the better solution, but a bit harder to do).

Both of these together should really help the model feel more solid and concrete (at the moment, it looks a bit soft).

appe3

01-20-2013

This looks just awesome, especially the splash art! I'd definitely buy this if they make it real skin :3

Scodo

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfynsong View Post
Your normal map looks a bit messy - seeing as you're in Maya there, I would suggest hitting the Polygons menu > Normals > Harden Edge on all of your border edges (for instance, the bottom edge of his coat, the creases around his belt where it meets the coat, etc).

You might then tweak some UV placements to try to reduce the black "fade-off" effect you get near those edges. Or, if you know how to mess with normal maps, you could just paint those areas out in Photoshop (this is the better solution, but a bit harder to do).

Both of these together should really help the model feel more solid and concrete (at the moment, it looks a bit soft).
All the edges were softened at the last minute to reduce some jaggyness, I'll go through and harden individual borders later. The normal map doesn't really matter since the league engine doesn't support normal maps anyway, it's just there for preference while i work with it.

Foxbyte

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scodo View Post
All the edges were softened at the last minute to reduce some jaggyness, I'll go through and harden individual borders later. The normal map doesn't really matter since the league engine doesn't support normal maps anyway, it's just there for preference while i work with it.
Ah, really? I could've sworn, looking at some of the more recent champions, that they did have normal map support.

snoochipoochi

01-21-2013

Actually i was curious on the Poly-count/ texture resolution for the riot engine. I Want to make a few cool models

Seth Winternight

01-21-2013

Scodo you have some 3D modelling talent. I'd very much like to keep updated on your progress. As you finish the model, I reckon you should request some artists to make art of your model to post on this thread and then that would make the skin idea complete.

Nurp Derp

01-21-2013

Post the original drawings with it as well please. I remember seeing this a while back, and its great to see the 3-d rendering with it. I would very much like to see this as a skin. This is one hot idea and Singed does need a different look. A lot of the skins for Singed aren't much of a change from his bony original one. You're very talented. BUMP FOR THIS SKIN

Scodo

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfynsong View Post
Ah, really? I could've sworn, looking at some of the more recent champions, that they did have normal map support.
If that's true it makes things a lot easier, but I had been attributing it to the ridiculously talented riot artists.

Or maybe they just use ddo