Thresh's Lore is.......

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leoric Wuju

01-20-2013

1. Riot: Look! A new champion. He's support but he is evil! Isn't that exciting?

2. Riot: Oh, and he is from Shadow Isles! Is that the lore relation you wanted?

3. Riot: He was a person who likes torturing and killing, and wants to kill EVERYONE and KEEP KILLING even after he is dead! Isn't that amazing? He is SADISTIC AND BRUTAL! So evil, man, so SPECIAL!

Why use a whole lore page to describe Thresh, when really, it can pretty much be summed up in 3 paragraphs?

My question is to whoever wrote his lore: are you even trying?

(1)You could have hinted that Thresh is a former Noxian warden and he was executing Demacian prisoners. From my impression only a Noxian official can be allowed to have that sort of ruthless way of life.

(2) Thresh's skill design looks intriguing, I have to give you that.
Given this, the lore is underwhelming and far from expectation because it makes Thresh a 1-dimensional, boring character. I really can't feel anything for him.

(3) I know with many of these new champions are from Shadow Isles, but simply stating someone is from somewhere really cannot be called lore. It should be called basic information.

Thresh's lore, in comparison to his ability design and other things, is a failure. It is 1-dimensional and doesn't really introduce anything about him. I don't fell any salience to this character. In fact, I don't think I've known anything relevant about him.

TL;DR
Please rewrite Thresh lore. It is no better than nothing.

GloriousKaiser

01-20-2013

Does it make him look like a saturday morning cartoon villian?

Birdy51

01-20-2013

I respectfully disagree. I think Riot did a better job than you think.

I'll base my arguement off your points.

(1) It's kind of silly to say where he used to work as a warden. Now that he's dead, that kind of detail doesn't matter. Really, this jail could have just about anywhere at any time. For all we know, he could have been a jailer in Icathia or any other ancient civilization. Simply put, we won't be seeing that jail, nor is it important to his story. Sometimes, it's actually a really bad idea to focus on these small details as it hinders Riot's ability to paint a more vivid picture. Only when a characters origions must be clear is it important, such as in the case of say, Syndra.

The more important details here, is how he acted in his past life. He was a sadistic maniac in the past life, and has now been reincarnated as something far worse. His prisoners are now the souls he collects. Once his eyes are set on an opponent, he will not rest until he tortures and kills them. In such a way, he's almost a bit more evil than Shaco. That's saying something.

(2) Now, I would like to bring up the point that Thresh hasn't been fully released yet. His voice overs can be just as important a giving people a feel of the character as the background lore is. Second, characters like this usually are fairly one dimensional. He's a man of his work. In rare cases, what man does is what defines him. Thresh mutilates and tortures for giggles and souls. That very idea alone paints a vivid picture of the Chain Warden.

(3) My good man, these are the times you must make inferences for yourself. He's not mearly from the Shadow Isles because the weather is nice. Thresh has a clear-cut mission. Find the strongest souls in Valoran. Remove said souls from their hosts. Looking at his gear and some of his animations, you can a fairly clear idea of how he does this.

A hint, his lantern isn't really just a lantern. It's a soul cage of sorts. Also, a question. Why is he collecting these souls? What is his endgame? At least, unlike Hecarim and Mordekaiser, we know why he is here. Thresh goes where the strongest souls gather. However, it is a universal fact that we don't know why the Shadow Isles has taken such a sharp interest in Valoran.

However, all signs point to the fact that we may soon be finding out.

Goau

01-20-2013

I really like the idea of this specter jailer and torturer as a support. In the games I've played and seen, it is often the support, not the carries, that becomes the biggest threat to a team. Sona provides buffs and a large aoe stun for her team; Taric has a stun, a heal, an armor aura he can activate to reduce the enemies' armor, and a large AD and AP enhancing aura for himself and his team that does a lot of burst damage; Nunu can constantly slow enemies, speed up a single ally, burst creeps and monsters, and slow in a large area that deals a tremendous amount of damage if allowed to fully charge; Soraka is a healer that can alter the outcome of battles she is not even near, to say nothing of her ability to disrupt enemy abilities and weakness; Lulu is a master (or mistress, whichever) of disrupting enemies with her spells; and there are more.

When compared to say the AD carry, which looks scarier: the guy that just sits there auto attacking, or the guy that can start locking you down and reducing your stats? The idea of Thresh being anything other than a support, considering his lore, scares me. His kit seems perfect for his role in teams and I am very much looking forward to buying him when he is released.

Jarlaxle

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriousKaiser View Post
Does it make him look like a saturday morning cartoon villian?
Killed your girlfriend again, Inuyasha! huehuehue

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

I'd say we could use more background on why he became a sadistic warden, what was going on when he was alive, and any affiliations he has.

A bit more info on what the heck the Shadow Isles is about, what his precise role there is, who he might know from the Shadow Isles, and how and why he was chosen to be something special there would also be nice.

So far we know little that couldn't be gleaned from his name, kit, and model.

Geokhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

While a prefer a mysterious origin, I would LOVE to know why such a being would be in the League.

Why would he be allowed in? What profit does the League have for using him? What does Thresh gain for his service?

Hunter Zolomon

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geokhan View Post
While a prefer a mysterious origin, I would LOVE to know why such a being would be in the League.

Why would he be allowed in? What profit does the League have for using him? What does Thresh gain for his service?
Considering how many incredibly powerful, dangerous, and often uncontrollable beings the Summoners have let (or forced) in over the years, they probably don't really have a good reason for letting him in other than maybe keeping an eye on him or something.

Morec0

01-23-2013

I find him to be a lot like Evelynn in regards to lore, albeit we have a fairly easily infered intetion for him; a mysterious backstory, a link to the Shadow Isles, no clear cut association with Hecarim or Morde (as of yet). There is a lot of room for him to grow, so we'll just have to wait and see what is made of it. Personally, I'm eager to see what is made of the Altars on Twisted Treeline for him.

And here's a thought; WHY does he have a special quote when dealing with Nautalis? Did Riot just decide to say "hey! this would be funny!" or could there be a connection between Nautalis' current state and the Shadow Isles?

And if what altered Nautalis is the same thing that threaten's Nami's people (and maybe wiped out Fizz's) then what does this mean about the reach of the Shadow Isles?

Hunter Zolomon

01-23-2013

His role in the Isles is pretty obvious - he's a recruiter looking to reap powerful souls to fill the ranks with. His allegiances within the Isle are subject to guesswork.