Champion Roles and the aggravation that is Tanky DPS

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thomgrin

01-19-2013

Okay, so I've been playing for a long time and I wanted to purpose an idea and maybe get some feedback.

Okay so we can all agree that Tanky dps is role that seems to snowball really well. Now I haven't seen a lot of this happening, but between my friends I've heard a fair amount of whining about the idea of champs that can build really thick and still have a large amount of damage output.

I thinking about it and I noticed that there was something that seemed to say that they were trying to make you pick your role before game, in your masteries. in the fourth and fifth tier of the defense masteries we have two masteries that give you a bonus for wanting to be a tank. Juggernaut (which gives %4 bonus hp from items) and Legendary Armor (gives a bonus %5 to MR and armor) this would make you a more functional tank, however they don't seem to make enough of a difference. if we were to make this an all round idea adding these type of masteries to each tree, would this eliminate these hyper roles like the tanky dps?

please dicuss.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Bruisers ARE limited already. Yeah, they're able to get solid damage and defense, but that's because there needs to be a champion who can handle initiating the fight, both defense and offense. If they don't have the defense to initiate, they die instantly and tip the odds in the other team's favor. If they don't have offense, they don't threaten the enemy team enough to force them to focus.

Now, obviously, there are tanks who initiate because of CC and the ability to increase allies' damage output, but bruisers are an archetype specifically designed for initiating, while tanks are more often for disruption.

Thomgrin

01-25-2013

I've seen this and I guess it's just a lower tier thing where I've just seen tanky dps either snowball or they won't initiate. I was just purposing the idea. I've been playing for a long time now and I'm just a little stuck in my ways though so I'm opening up to Tanky DPS

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-25-2013

offense
defense
utility

there are 3 dynamics to this game
no dynamic counters the others inherently.

tanky dps uses power and damage, learn what it means to not have utility and learn to defeat tanky dps. Theres a reason garen doesnt just stand around and tank damage forever. Theres a reason darius is weak. There is a reason malphite will never be a tank. There is a reason singed can be countered with slows. There is a reason nasus isn't terribly viable. There is a reason jayce can't carry as hard as an actual carry.

Vuther

01-25-2013

Tanky DPS are limited by one enormous drawback: the necessity to get into melee range and stick there. Their numbers are useless when they cannot be applied.

That's really it. Outside of their melee range and their abilities on cooldown, they are useless.

Indeed, the tanky DPS concept was the only thing making melee damage viable when it was introduced to the community long ago. Before that, tanks initiated, mages nuked carries, carries would kill anything while they were alive and peeling/CC ensured any melee champions who hoped to attack anyone died from being in the cross-hairs of five people with little effect. Tanky DPS at least, could hope to accomplish something.

Wrath of Sekhmet

01-26-2013

I've found that most bruisers build more health and damage than armor and magic resist. A reasonably well supported Kog'maw or Vayne (or even a Varus if he's skilled enough) can shred them with skills that deal % health based damage.

Another option is for the AP caster to take Liandry's Torment and Rylai's Scepter. This gives them pretty good survivability (especially against true damage skills such as the execution skills of Olaf and Darius), combined with extra cc and some pretty decent % health shredding.