[Olaf] Blood and Thunder! Victory at Sea!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burning Rose

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyyyyyy View Post
I know what the title of this guide is referencing, and it is amazing.

I am laughing so hard right now.
"Show me your honor. No, your other honor."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
But you are jungling, shouldn't your masteries or runes be set up for it?

I play 21/0/9 with basically the same runes and I safely kill the golem with just one level of Vicious Strikes and Smite. I don't see how it could be out of your reach, or why getting Q second and W first is that much different than the reverse.

If you don't like razor or wriggles or armor, then what DO you build towards?

-edit-

Ahh, I see now. Well... good luck. DPS Olaf has a nasty habit of imploding upon contact with the enemy. Blind from Exhaust means no hits, no lifesteal, and often no more Olaf. It's more fun but very team dependent.
Olaf doesn't need anything more than a Frozen Mallet in most games for survivability, maybe an Atma's. After that you can usually go heavy DPS. The Trinity Force thing is rare, but it typically works for me if the enemy team is right, so I put it in here. Olaf spams the hell out of his abilities, so the passive really goes a long way, and other than the AP (oh noes, 400g), everything on the item is good for him.

This Olaf build is considerably less devastated by blind because it doesn't rely on lifestealing as much and gets a lot of damage from E instead of auto-attacks, even in the late-game.

I just tried out starting at Golem with cloth armor, and... it works. But it's messy. Everyone checks Golem to gank, and since I'm not building the cloth armor into anything its a huge waste. I might advocate starting at Golem with a Red Elixir instead - I'll have to do more experimentation - but currently I find that starting at Wraiths is far safer and that Cloth Armor makes things more dangerous without any real benefit.

Eddy01741

10-21-2010

Well, slowing the target (phage passive) and crit chance don't really help him (I mean, they help, but other stats are better for the money). I'd rather buy flat attack damage (or like.... armor pen items) than pay 4000 gold for some stats+trinity force passive.

Late game every single olaf build will have the same amount of damage from E (well actually, if you get CDR you get more damage from E, and your build actually has no CDR other than optional ghostblade). E is flat true damage, no AD or AP scaling. Thus every olaf late game gets the same DPS from E.

Always get either cleanse or QSS if the enemy has exhaust or blind (although I've been hearing that cleanse doesn't work vs exhaust anymore, dunno if QSS does though).

Also, get teammates to both help you take down golem and be nearby to protect you, because honestly, just spamming undertow with the blue mana regen and CDR makes jungling so much faster. Blue first is almost required for jungle olaf.

Covenant

10-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy01741 View Post
Always get either cleanse or QSS if the enemy has exhaust or blind (although I've been hearing that cleanse doesn't work vs exhaust anymore, dunno if QSS does though).
I've been hearing that too, and it seems unintentional... Exhaust is already so strong, and cleanse already so weak... exhaust even blows through your ult. How dumb.

Maybe it's all just a setup so that when they release The Blind Monk there will be a compelling reason to play him. He's already blind! Can't blind him twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy01741 View Post
Also, get teammates to both help you take down golem and be nearby to protect you, because honestly, just spamming undertow with the blue mana regen and CDR makes jungling so much faster. Blue first is almost required for jungle olaf.
I've actually gotten my team first bloods by whacking people who come to gank me at blue. They can run in and try it but Olaf is a beast at level 1 and blundering into my forest with some allies covering is risky business. I'm often at blue by the time they're there trying to drop a ward, so it makes it obvious where they are.

Burning Rose

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
I've actually gotten my team first bloods by whacking people who come to gank me at blue. They can run in and try it but Olaf is a beast at level 1 and blundering into my forest with some allies covering is risky business. I'm often at blue by the time they're there trying to drop a ward, so it makes it obvious where they are.
The guide is more designed for a general playstyle and less for a more focused, organized team, I guess. You'll rarely find teammates in Solo Queue who'll actually back up a jungler when he takes Golem, so I took that into account when making the guide.

Nephian

10-23-2010

Thank you for referring me to your guide, BR. The spell vamp + smite tip was invaluable in making the jungle a viable place to get my levels from.

I'm still finding it rough to set up a successful gank or put out enough slows & damage to take down kiters and tanky dps respectively. And counter-ganking seems to be a large problem too - teleport users swapping lanes or porting in to a counter-jungling ward can absolutely destroy a successful jungling run. I'm not really used to the idea of running around enemy territory at half-health, and it does seem more perilous than any jungling I've done before.

Burning Rose

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephian View Post
Thank you for referring me to your guide, BR. The spell vamp + smite tip was invaluable in making the jungle a viable place to get my levels from.

I'm still finding it rough to set up a successful gank or put out enough slows & damage to take down kiters and tanky dps respectively. And counter-ganking seems to be a large problem too - teleport users swapping lanes or porting in to a counter-jungling ward can absolutely destroy a successful jungling run. I'm not really used to the idea of running around enemy territory at half-health, and it does seem more perilous than any jungling I've done before.
Enemy Territory?

Hmm, maybe I should clarify that. There's no need when you jungle as Olaf to go into enemy territory. After level 4 or 5, whenever there's no creeps in your jungle you just go gank.

Burning Rose

10-24-2010

BUMP: I've added the Screenshots now!

Burning Rose

10-26-2010

Been seeing a lot of "I need help with Olaf" threads, so bumping this for knowledge!

DestroyerofWords

10-26-2010

Split your lungs with blood and thunder? When you see the white whale? Break your backs and crack your oars, men? If you wish to prevail? This ivory leg is what propels me? Harpoons thrust in the sky? Aim directly for his crooked brow? And look him straight in the eye?

White whale?

Holy grail?

HMS BUTTPEE

10-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyerofWords View Post
Split your lungs with blood and thunder? When you see the white whale? Break your backs and crack your oars, men? If you wish to prevail? This ivory leg is what propels me? Harpoons thrust in the sky? Aim directly for his crooked brow? And look him straight in the eye?

White whale?

Holy grail?
Not quite.

*Snrk*