alrighty pros, what am i doing wrong

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Technician Tim

01-25-2013

picked thresh up, been playing him, and still havent won a single game, people dont click the lantern, people dont take advantage of his small grab, and i am a miserable failure when it comes to using flay, and his ult, i jjust need practice hitting it when people are just the right distance away

ive been taking him bot support, spending most of my early money on wards, then building the usual support items with a side of tank thrown in there, and it just never seems to be enough, he has the potential, i just cant seem to bring it out, and ffs people, click the lantern

anywayz for you guys who have had success with him, what are you building? and how the heck do you use flay?

should i skip the gold items or not? and if not philo or kages? (high ap builds throw out a surprisingly large amount of damage without giving up too much in the way of bulk)
should i build him like my sona, or is he a niche support?

tl;dr OP sucks with thresh, cant land his E to save anyones life, (did steal dragon with is somehow, doubt i could repeat this on a caster minion,,,) what items to build?

Peligrad

01-25-2013

Well, if they don't use the lantern, nothing you can do about that... and honestly that's what makes Thresh good.

It's a terribly weak shield...so if they don't click it, you might as well not even have the ability.

I know lots of people are saying to max shield first. I disagree.

I max Q first and run AD marks and quints. Yes AD marks and quints on support thresh.

It makes his pokes really hurt.

The most important thing about thresh is positioning.

Half the time you are going to want to position like a typical support. The other half, you need to position like an ADC so that the ADC can use lantern effectively.

Get distortion boots early. Flash is so good on thresh because your flash can be used by any other champion because of your lantern. Take every mastery possible to lower flash's cd too.

Build lots of MR and auras.

If you get over 100 souls collected buy a malady. Then you can be a pretty huge dps threat in team fights.

Sir Tiddles

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharles07 View Post
picked thresh up, been playing him, and still havent won a single game, people dont click the lantern, people dont take advantage of his small grab, and i am a miserable failure when it comes to using flay, and his ult, i jjust need practice hitting it when people are just the right distance away

ive been taking him bot support, spending most of my early money on wards, then building the usual support items with a side of tank thrown in there, and it just never seems to be enough, he has the potential, i just cant seem to bring it out, and ffs people, click the lantern

anywayz for you guys who have had success with him, what are you building? and how the heck do you use flay?

should i skip the gold items or not? and if not philo or kages? (high ap builds throw out a surprisingly large amount of damage without giving up too much in the way of bulk)
should i build him like my sona, or is he a niche support?

tl;dr OP sucks with thresh, cant land his E to save anyones life, (did steal dragon with is somehow, doubt i could repeat this on a caster minion,,,) what items to build?
I am by no means a "pro", but I have been doing fairly well with him. The biggest tips I can give is:
1) Until you have a bulwark and around 80 souls, you are very squishy. You also gain no natural MR/level and your lanturn is crappier than other tank's defensive steroids so you will never take the beating that Taric/Leona/Alistar/Amumu can take unless you have 150 souls or more items.

2) Late game feel free to build a large AP item or two, but in the early game you can't afford anything but gp5, sightstone, and then tank items. I have only gotten a full build once in a normal game (games usually end before 3 full items usually for me as a support), but I generally build:
- philo
- sightstone
- kage's pick
- basic boots
- upgrade to ruby sightstone
- aegis -> bulwark
- zeke's herald
- upgrade to merc treads
The game is usually over, or about to end by this point in my matches. At this point there are many options, but this build is really what I would consider my "core" build for him and anything else drastically changes depending on a lot of factors. First and foremost, being tanky and saving your carry, not doing damage, is your job. So if you are being killed fast in team fights consider items like
frozen heart
iceborne gauntlet
abyssal scepter
randuin's omen
GA (if your team already has the previous 3 items)
upgrade kage's to twin shadows (your team is having trouble chasing down or kiting as well)
upgrade philo to shurelia's (if you still need CDR and don't want a frozen heart or iceborne gauntlet for any reason)

If you are just not being focused or dying in team fights and can afford luxury damage items:
will of the ancients
abyssal scepter
deathcap (if your team already has the previous two and you have 130+ souls -- your souls-gained AP is also multiplied by the deathcap passive, making your low AP ratios not be so wimpy)

3) Get a point in Q W E, and max Q first for the poking power. Positioning is very important for Thresh because while ranged, it is a pretty low ranged autoattack. If you are used to playing Blitz and Leona and zoning by brush camping, and forcing fights when you have more minions, etc then you should do fine. Just remember that early game you do a little more damage than most supports but you also are squishier than most tank-supports.

4) Thresh really needs to be tanky to do his job, so I run with MS quints, flat armor yellows, and MR/level blues. I keep debating on gold/5 vs magic pen vs a defensive red. I played around and find that 9/21/0 masteries work best for him. I really like the utility tree this season, but with Thresh being a tank with lowish range, yet still squishy, I feel he needs as much help getting beefy as possible.

5) Late game, your team fight combo is jump in with Q, position yourself in the middle of the enemy team and ult, and then use your E to knock people into walls and disrupt. If you are quick, you can drop a lanturn on the spot you will land on before you throw your Q.

I know some people have been building him AD, but this is honestly not a great idea. Your autoattack range is pretty short and you only have one AD ratio, which is on a 10 second cooldown and still deals magic damage. So your one AD ratio doesn't even benefit from armor pen; there just isn't enough synergy there to be good. I consider it similar to AD carry Teemo -- you can do it and still win, but why would you gimp yourself like that when there are so many AD carries out there that have actual AD ratios and better autoattack range. And keep in mind that your passive will not make you able to withstand damage -- you need to build defensive items no matter what if you want to be able to survive a team fight.

Anachronity

01-25-2013

He's really like a weaker Amumu other than the lantern.

But the lantern changes a lot of the playstyle. You've got to figure out where your teammate wants to be and go there. Then you just have to hope that they know what the lantern does...