We need a new reason to report someone @Riot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KimKelley

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rotting Poet View Post
Lol, this is abject silliness, people should be able to reveal information about themselves and *not* be subject to abuse. .

I should be able to walk down an alleyway in New York at 3 am and not be raped or mugged, but I am smart enough to not do so because I realize that the world is not perfect.

That is the point the guy was making.

Xianio

01-22-2013

Quote:
I should be able to walk down an alleyway in New York at 3 am and not be raped or mugged, but I am smart enough to not do so because I realize that the world is not perfect.

That is the point the guy was making.
That's a problem with -society- not a problem with the person being mugged or raped. The -easiest- logical jump people make is "why would you do something you know is potentially dangerous?"

The problem with that mentality is that is accepts two things to be true:
1) That it's the abused fault because they weren't smart enough, fast enough or strong enough
2) That abusers behaviour is not only acceptable but an inevitable part of life

I accept neither premise. I think there is a -substantial- problem with the way men are educated/taught to respect women. There is a massive problem with how a women and men are taught to view one another, particularly from the mens side.

This is not "mens fault" it's a societal problem. We have created a system and a standard where sexual assault is seen is inevitable and a problem for individuals and not systemic.

The -terrible- numbers are that 1 in every 5 women have been sexually assaulted by the time they turn 25. Every single one of you probably know at least 3 women who have been already. They won't tell you, because its embarrassing and is answered with questions like "well, why did you walk down that alley at 3 a.m?" or "well, why did you get so drunk at that party?"

I know it doesn't feel like it - but statements like the one above ARE in fact victim blaming. To frame it much more extremely and negatively the question becomes,
"Why were you so stupid to get yourself raped?"

I'm not attacking you Kim, please don't think that I am. It's very easy to be "reasonable" about this topic while perpetuating something terrible without realizing it. The way you've phased the question is how we are taught to phase the argument. That's because actually asking the really hard questions take time, effort and lots of money to change.

The most disturbing question - If 1 in 5 women are sexually assault by 25, just how many men are doing it?

Once that sinks in, the need for holistic change really becomes clear.

KimKelley

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianio View Post
T
I know it doesn't feel like it - but statements like the one above ARE in fact victim blaming. To frame it much more extremely and negatively the question becomes,
"Why were you so stupid to get yourself raped?"

This will probably make me a jerk, and I am sorry for it, but in the specific scenario that I mentioned, your reframing of the question, while insensitive, is a valid question at its core. The person in my scenario does not deserve to be attacked, and the offender should be punished in every possible way (legal, physical, and social); however, the decisions that they made led to a situation where the possibility that they were attacked increased significantly. They knew better, they should have acted differently. A clear mechanism to reduce the possibility of getting attacked is to avoid putting yourself in a scenario that increases this possibility.

Gimpyloser

01-22-2013

I wish you didn't have to deal with this type of harassment, but I don't think a new report option is necessary. It falls under verbal abuse and honestly you could report them for intentional feeding if you wanted and the punishment would still come. Tribunal judges don't vote based on the reported offense but rather if an offense exists...Chat log will get players like this punished, but I agree with another guy who said to screen shot the behavior and submit it directly to riot as well as report.

Also try and keep personal information out of the game. I know you should be allowed to say you are a girl without having to be harassed, but unfortunately that isn't always the case. My daughter plays as well and I have taught her not to disclose certain information for her own good. I wish the players were more mature, but sadly many are not.

Komeiji Koishi

01-22-2013

Don't you wonder why gamer girls in huge MOBA communities are always such closet cases?

Lord Ferret

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

You can also take a screen shot of the abuse and submit a support ticket. They take things like this very seriously and deal with them outside of the tribunal.

Vashos

01-22-2013

I agree that the OP and all other players should not have to hide their gender online. Sure, there are brats who will use it to target you, but letting scumbag people dictate how you should live allows the abuse to continue. How does the saying go, "All it takes for evil to win is for good men to do nothing"?

Telling your kids not to give personal info online like home address and the like is practical, as that can lead to physical threat, but having to keep something secret that is readily discernable in person? That's stupid, and, IMO, teaches girls that they have something to fear and/or be ashamed of. I don't like being called "bro", "dude", or "homie" in every game when I am, in fact, female, and you better believe I will let my teammates know it. They can harass me all they like - then they will be rewarded with a ban and I will be no worse for wear.

Also, I find it hilarious that people like to refer to the walking-alone-at-night-in-the-city cautionary tale to try to fork blame onto victims, because statistically, that's not likely the case. Most rapes are commited by people known to the victim, not by random strangers popping out of alleys at 3am. As Xianio said, this is an issue with society as a whole, not individuals with disregard for risk.

Gimpyloser

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashos View Post
Telling your kids not to give personal info online like home address and the like is practical, as that can lead to physical threat, but having to keep something secret that is readily discernable in person? That's stupid, and, IMO, teaches girls that they have something to fear and/or be ashamed of.
I'd agree with you here if people acted in game as they do in person. The problem is people hide behind the guise of anominity while playing these types of games and their immaturity takes hold of their keyboards. I wish people acted like civilized human beings in video games and indeed many do, but many do not. To openly say you are a girl or worse to say you are a 13 year old girl in game or online period opens doors I'd rather keep closed when it comes to my daughter. I'm not saying it is the victims fault if they are verbally abused for saying such things. It is always, always, always the offenders fault, but precautions can be taken to avoid being in that situation. This is why I encourage her to just not volunteer this type of information. I wish she could, but more harm is done by volunteering it than simply keeping your chat to game related content unless with a known friend.

MexGenius

01-22-2013

It's an online gaming community get used to it, try best to keep that information to yourself next time, i'm sorry this happened to you.

Xianio

01-22-2013

Quote:
It's an online gaming community get used to it
I'm more inclined to include a report option for it and punish people for it. To be perfectly honest.