We need a new reason to report someone @Riot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rito Hates Me

01-19-2013

When I go into a league game I don't announce my gender.

Why can't you do the same thing?

Welfaremommy

01-19-2013

I get this a lot. I am a female player. I then tell them I'm old enough to be their mom (which I probably am in most cases) and they either leave me alone or ask if I'm a cougar. Unfortunately it is something that we have to deal with often.

What I wanna know is why I would want to see a character's junk to begin with? Toons are just that...toons.

LittleDi

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Septimus View Post
Today I played a game that seemed very fun at the beginning but then the enemy team found out I was a girl. They started saying things that I considered sexual harassment and were offensive and made the game very hard to enjoy or do very well in. The morgana on the enemy team told me to come mid (I was lux supporting bottom) so that I could see her d**k. He/She was saying things like I have a 12 inch p***s and that I should leave my boyfriend for him/her instead. He said a bunch of things like that and I don't think reporting simply for verbal abuse is enough.

Its not just verbal abuse, its sexually harassing me because I am a girl and I think there should be an option for reporting someone for either sexual harassment or sexual abuse to specifically punish someone for this kind of toxic behaviour.

I don't want to sound like a stick in the mud and I am just not really comfortable with that kind of behaviour. Just because I am girl does not mean you can ask me to see your private part and that's not right. I think its fun to do some light casual banter but when your're asking someone to see your private part that's too offensive and changes the nature of this game.
Do what I do.

First ask them why they're so focused on their e-peen rather than the game. It's actually funnier than heck to have them trying to think about their comeback statement rather than play. And you didn't start it so they stop playing in order to do so.

Then make sure to mention that if they have two heads and they're only thinking with one of them that he'll make mistakes. Preferably after he dies because it confirms he's lacking the blood in the brain region. By then his own team will be too busy bashing on him to think straight and one wang just cost him the match.

Comically the whole thing is constructive criticism. Game over wang, and two heads but only one functions at a time so it should be the one with the brain inside it.

SchierkeWiking

01-19-2013

That's the issue with video games, it's filled with mysoginistic nerds that think some random girl in the Internet will show them something on webcam if they harass her enough.

It's sad because we certainly need more women in this game (90%+ males?, what a sausage fest!).

This can of course be totally avoided by not using a summoners name that sounds female, but you shouldn't be forced into something just because of such scum.

The only thing you can really do is mute them, report them and move on.

The Rotting Poet

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garruks Champion View Post
note: I am not blaming the victim, "she was dressed in a provocative manner" is not a defense in my mind, but if its an issue, why do you have a name that incites it? seems counter productive

95% of the problems on the internet (id theft, harassment, bullying, predators) are caused by people putting personal info on the net.

Hell, I dont think anyone could even find any info about myself on the web that wasn't either fake that I put up, or information that I have already given people **** for putting up about myself. +1 for good parenting

And on that note, I just want to add that facebook is the biggest issue, even if you are set to privet, its not hard to figure out where you are and who you know just by looking at pic's people you know have put up, after that its all a mater of inventing a personality and getting close to you through one of your friends
Lol, this is abject silliness, people should be able to reveal information about themselves and *not* be subject to abuse. You claim to be against victim blaming yet the position you take is exactly that. Gaming is a community where you are assumed to be male (as well as heterosexual, and, to a lesser degree, white) until you claim otherwise. So if someone uses a "he" pronoun to refer to a female player, is she just supposed to be quiet about it, or risk harassment? No, the blame falls upon the people who don't have the maturity to treat females with respect. Any kind of stance that tells her she needs to modify her behavior is victim blaming. She didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't have to behave any differently.

Lady Septimus

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rotting Poet View Post
Lol, this is abject silliness, people should be able to reveal information about themselves and *not* be subject to abuse. You claim to be against victim blaming yet the position you take is exactly that. Gaming is a community where you are assumed to be male (as well as heterosexual, and, to a lesser degree, white) until you claim otherwise. So if someone uses a "he" pronoun to refer to a female player, is she just supposed to be quiet about it, or risk harassment? No, the blame falls upon the people who don't have the maturity to treat females with respect. Any kind of stance that tells her she needs to modify her behavior is victim blaming. She didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't have to behave any differently.
Thank you.

dignitas Rampant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Plus the whole "lady septimus" name kindof is a tell, whether she actually tells someone or not. I used to have an account named Lord XXXXXXX (that's to give it a degree of privacy from certain prying eyes) that inherently told people I was male. I don't think it should be expected that she should have to hide her name.

YueienGato

01-22-2013

Been a veteren of WoW for the first 5 years and, boy, let me say that the vast male population could not handle itself when a woman logged into ventrilo or teamspeak. Women there were expected to either be flirts or ice queens (Does not matter if they had partners or not) and always, ALWAYS, were expected to be healers. There was this projected fantasy of submissive femininity being cast upon the female gamers that was entrenched in the higher social plateaus (From 1 high level PvP team and my time in the then-17th progressed guild in the world).

So it is kinda sad to say that I am not surprised the same mentality exists to a certain degree here. I dunno, I've participated in some talks concerning expectations of gendered performance in digital gaming before, but it always bothers me to some degree when I hear of it happening - and with such an effect as well - on the live servers.

At least there is a Tribunal here for this sort of thing, though my doubts as to the entrenched nature of misygonist projection makes me wonder what the statistics are for successful community bamping of sexist harassment?

Gsniper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by embalmdk View Post
First, this falls under harassment. Second, why do you disclose unnecessary information about yourself. I teach my children to keep private on the internet. It is unfortunate that there are not more women/girls playing to balance out the game and the forums. By making this posting and declaring your a girl will unfortunately cause the more unscrupulous to target your postings.

In either case any harassment ***, religous, race, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc. falls in the category of harassment.

It's what I teach my young ones as well, but the most famous quote anyone I have ever heard say is

"If you seek attention, you invite rude and discriminating behavior into your life. If you let attention seek you, your inviting that which is polite enough to engage you first."

So for anyone who reads this, whether your a boy, girl, straight, gay, big, tall, black, white... keep in mind this is a video game about champions and has nothing to do with anything of that sort. So when you start talking in this manner.. your seeking attention at that point and haven't let attention seek you.

Gsniper

01-22-2013

I blame victims not taking precautionary actions in life to avoid bad situations MOST of the time, but if someone takes every precautionary action that is within reason and it still happens then yeah i have sympathy.

Example: People don't just walk across the street with out a "walk sign" allowing them to cross. Why? Because they are taking a precautionary action from being hit by a car. Guy walks out in front of a car doing 50 miles an hour with no cross walk, you have to be pretty ignorant to expect him to stop for you.

You don't wear a vest full of meat in a cage with a bunch of tigers. Why? Because you don't want to be attacked.. you have to be pretty ignorant to not expect to get attacked by tigers wearing a vest of meat.

You don't disclose personal information on the internet. Why? Because you don't want to be attacked for personal beliefs, gender, race, etc.. again, you have to be pretty ignorant not to expect a community ("the internet" full of underage children who are bored and are present to this service because their parents use it as a babysitting tool), to attack you because they don't understand any better than what they tease and poke in at school until they mature.

So again why was the need to disclose the information about your gender relevant to the game? Someone say they'll kill your dog if you don't tell? Cause honestly I see no reason to.