The meta; Questioning it

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akimasu

01-19-2013

After watching the tournament, and seeing so many bizzare picks - from AP solo top, to duo lane top, to a (practically)no jungle game(and winning!), I have to ask: Is the meta looking at a major change?

Almost every game Ad carry+support went top on one of the teams, getting a 4-6 minute tower kill, seeing a 13 minute all 3 towers down in one game, I'm really starting to wonder what's going to happen in this period of change, from season 2 to season 3.

Ultimately it leads me to this question: Why are things this way? Why do we send Bruisers top? Why don't we send Anti-bruisers top? Why do we send Casters mid? etc.

I do understand a lot of the meta, like supports are with ADCs because adcs are (generally) the weakest champions early game, and strong late, but some - like Ez, and Draven, have Excellent kiting capabilities.

Ultimately, I think my largest question, aimed primarily towards high level(1600+ elo) players: Are we going to see a change in meta? Is the change already happening?

Gimpyloser

01-19-2013

I created a post earlier where I explained a few of the viable options to changing up the meta. You can see it here. http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3020237

Just be careful though when watching tournaments and comparing that play style to what you see in Solo queue, especially lower elo. There are many factors they use in determining lane match ups, such as the strength of certain players with certain champions. The ability of a bruiser to hold lane against adc/support. The ability to freeze lanes, 3 man ganks, etc etc etc... You can do things with a team of guys you play with everyday that you just can't do in solo queue.

Desperate Izzy

Recruiter

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akimasu View Post
After watching the tournament, and seeing so many bizzare picks - from AP solo top, to duo lane top, to a (practically)no jungle game(and winning!), I have to ask: Is the meta looking at a major change?

Almost every game Ad carry+support went top on one of the teams, getting a 4-6 minute tower kill, seeing a 13 minute all 3 towers down in one game, I'm really starting to wonder what's going to happen in this period of change, from season 2 to season 3.

Ultimately it leads me to this question: Why are things this way? Why do we send Bruisers top? Why don't we send Anti-bruisers top? Why do we send Casters mid? etc.

I do understand a lot of the meta, like supports are with ADCs because adcs are (generally) the weakest champions early game, and strong late, but some - like Ez, and Draven, have Excellent kiting capabilities.

Ultimately, I think my largest question, aimed primarily towards high level(1600+ elo) players: Are we going to see a change in meta? Is the change already happening?
A Great Team changes the Meta according to their matchups...so depending on how well that change goes might change how we view the current Meta...

Gimpyloser

01-19-2013

It's hard enough to get a solo queue to invade. I'd imagine the idea of a lane switch or adc/support mid, would cause much rage and confusion.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-19-2013

AP solo tops isn't anything new.

Mordekaiser, Cho'gath, Akali, Nidalee, Singed... just to name a few.

And if you're referring to Voyboy's top lane Katarina... he's not really playing Katarina as a mid lane AP carry. He's playing top lane Katarina as a bruiser. The first item he builds on top Katarina is Sunfire cape...