Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Who are the "must-have" champions before starting ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Agent of God

01-19-2013

Quote:
Emissary:
I find Talon an unreliable pick at low elo because his team never understands they need a decent source of AP Damage. Whether this be someone like Vlad/Akali top or Maokai/Amumu jungle or something of the sort, there has to be some magic damage on the team if you're having an AD mid. At higher levels, knowing there will be a Talon player the team will be sure to secure an able source of magic damage. I just do not think he is a decent choice for heading into ranked, despite his ability to shut down a lot of mids.

i've actually had a few games where i played talon and my team didnt have any ap champs or both teams didnt have any ap champs (they sent another ad to lane against me). having an all ad comp isn't as bad as you think but it is probably better to have some ap mixed in if possible

Stasz

01-20-2013

Might I also suggest getting to at LEAST 300+ normal wins? Because 100~300 you know how to move and use spells but honestly there's a lot of things people don't know about.

When I first hit lvl 30 I tried a ranked game and got absolutely destroyed, I didn't know how to last hit or not to push etc. Then I waited until 500 wins and everything was much more smoother and easier compared the first time. It shows people who your team's weakest link is too, I can usually always tell who's on their first ranked and has just hit lvl 30 because they either push too much, don't know how to trade off, gank or whatever and it really bugs me off is when mids don't follow their lane.

Its good to get more of a feel for the basics in strategy as well. On the bright side, you're off to a better start than most people you're actually like "Hmm I'm not an idiot I should at least learn to play more than one role".

Eloquid

01-20-2013

You really don't want to have fun playing this game any more? Cool, go play ranked.

Eloquid

01-20-2013

Quote:
AD Bottom:
What are you talking about? Yes you can use the free champions in ranked, even if you don't own them...

What's with the influx of people giving advice when they don't understand how something works?

How about some respect and doing your homework before putting your dick on a table when you're clearly dealing with people more experienced with matter at hand???

Scoutacus

01-21-2013

Do not get champions that are considered OP without understanding why they're currently considered OP.

For example, Shen, insta-banned in most current Ranked matches. Not many people know why, they just know pros ban them, and so should they.

The reason he is banned is because of his incredible split pushing power.

There are more examples obviously but that one, I thought, was the most fitting. Don't dive right into Ranked without an understanding of the champs you want to get to play Ranked.

Tofu Is Beast

03-23-2013

Tristana is a very good adc.
One of the best atm actually
I would defiantly recommend her when buying ranked champions.

Btw Malphite is so OP that its not even funny
You guys who are underestimating him better watch out.

Tofu Is Beast

03-23-2013

Quote:
Tatsh:
Might I also suggest getting to at LEAST 300+ normal wins? Because 100~300 you know how to move and use spells but honestly there's a lot of things people don't know about.

When I first hit lvl 30 I tried a ranked game and got absolutely destroyed, I didn't know how to last hit or not to push etc. Then I waited until 500 wins and everything was much more smoother and easier compared the first time. It shows people who your team's weakest link is too, I can usually always tell who's on their first ranked and has just hit lvl 30 because they either push too much, don't know how to trade off, gank or whatever and it really bugs me off is when mids don't follow their lane.

Its good to get more of a feel for the basics in strategy as well. On the bright side, you're off to a better start than most people you're actually like "Hmm I'm not an idiot I should at least learn to play more than one role".

People can know how to play at level 30.
Just because you didn't doesn't mean other people don't.

Ragnarzero

03-23-2013

Quote:
Emissary Of Gorz:

anyways should have
Shen
Malphite
amumu
Blitzcrank
Evelynn
Shaco

Hey Look its almost every banned list i've seen in ranked games.

Alric Blueflame

06-26-2013

get tristana and alistar, theyre free and both decently good. tristana has been seeing some play in the lcs