Who are the "must-have" champions before starting ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mininomini

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
What are you talking about? Yes you can use the free champions in ranked, even if you don't own them...

What's with the influx of people giving advice when they don't understand how something works?
Clearly, you don't know that you can use free champions in draft, not ranked.

adc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininomini View Post
Clearly, you don't know that you can use free champions in draft, not ranked.
Hmm. Interesting. I wonder when they made it like that. I could've sworn it was always 16 champions, including free ones. My mistake.

Edit2:

Was changed in this patch:

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/V1.0.0.140

My mistake.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-19-2013

Shen is one of the absolute worst bans at low and average Elo.

Shen requires three things.

1) The person who selected Shen is good at playing as Shen.
2) The team playing with a Shen teammate is good at playing with a Shen teammate.
3) The enemy team is bad at dealing with a team that has #1 and #2 down.

A lot of the Shen teams I see use Shen's ult no different than Morgana's E (from the same range). And beyond that, what's Shen? A champion with a skill-shot taunt... and an ultimate no better than Morgana's E. It shields a bit more damage, but doesn't protect from CC like Morgana and has a massive cooldown. It also displaces Shen, which isn't always ideal. Shen can't ult if he's at risk of dying himself, but Morgana can still E.

If you want a front-line initiator, there are better options than Shen.
If you want a champion with a taunt, there are better champions than Shen.
If you want a split-pusher, there are better champions than Shen.

Gimpyloser

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da3daalus View Post
I thought the patch in August took out the free champion rotation in ranked matches?
Lol it did, the guy raging about the influx of people giving advice on something they do not understand need look no further than a mirror.

Gimpyloser

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
Shen is one of the absolute worst bans at low and average Elo.

Shen requires three things.

1) The person who selected Shen is good at playing as Shen.
2) The team playing with a Shen teammate is good at playing with a Shen teammate.
3) The enemy team is bad at dealing with a team that has #1 and #2 down.

A lot of the Shen teams I see use Shen's ult no different than Morgana's E (from the same range). And beyond that, what's Shen? A champion with a skill-shot taunt... and an ultimate no better than Morgana's E. It shields a bit more damage, but doesn't protect from CC like Morgana and has a massive cooldown. It also displaces Shen, which isn't always ideal. Shen can't ult if he's at risk of dying himself, but Morgana can still E.

If you want a front-line initiator, there are better options than Shen.
If you want a champion with a taunt, there are better champions than Shen.
If you want a split-pusher, there are better champions than Shen.
Agreed and the same could be said for many of the common bans. Seems like any time Shen, Alistar, Amumu, Malphite, or Blitz is not banned, he is picked. More often than not the players picking them AT LOW ELO lack the skill and knowledge to play them for the reasons they are banned in the first place.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-19-2013

I mean, any given player at any given Elo could easily wreck with a Malphite or a Blitz. And I'm sure there are players at basically every Elo range that are really great Shen players.

Shen's problem is bigger though. Shen's problem isn't that he's banned so often that no one knows how to play him any more (that's the problem that Malphite and Blitz have). Shen's problem is that no one knows how to be a Shen teammate.

First off, Shen jungle kind of minimizes his ultimate throughout the laning phase. Simply being a jungler is enough to maintain a fairly global presence.

Shen top can make use of the ultimate pretty effectively during the laning phase where a gank can immediately turn into a 2-man gank, but this only starts after he hits 6 and only lasts till the end of the laning phase.

But what's Shen's ultimate after the laning phase? Most often, it's seen as nothing more than the Teleport summoner spell. And if you want that out of your taunting champ, why not take Homeguard boots, Teleport spell, Rammus for some trollypolly fun? For Shen to be effective after laning phase, you need a team that can group up and force the enemy team to group up as well. Then let Shen split push.

And then have your team engage at the right time, while Shen ults in on their good engage.

And this is easier to do when the enemy team doesn't have a split pusher themselves. But what happens if the enemy team just picks Jax? Jax can split push harder and faster than Shen. Jax will kill Shen in a 1v1 (Shen's taunt only slightly decreases the damage Jax does for a small amount of time). And even if Shen tries to ult away, Jax can stun him out of it.

Gimpyloser

01-19-2013

Yea Shen is high skill champion. A great pick for a tournament team, but in low elo solo queue, he is rarely a threat for the reasons you mention. I'm be much more afraid of a teleporting Olaf than Shen.

Akimasu

01-19-2013

When you boil it down, you have a handful of types of champions. The tank, the pokers, the initiators, the burst, and the sustained damage. You should cover at least 1 champion of each, for whichever role you happen to play.

IE: Mids, Ryze has the sustain, Galio/Zyra have wonderful initiations, Annie is bursty as all hell, Galio has the tank, and Nidalee is really pokey. Each of these champions serve VERY different roles, in VERY different teams.

There's also a couple of champions almost entirely aimed towards snowballing, or clean-up. LeBlanc snowballs everyone else HARD, Katarina, AP Tristana, and Kha'Zix comes to mind.

Just remember what teams generally need, Look at what your team can do. Do you have a champion who becomes a GOD when snowballed, like Kha'Zix(prenerf, don't know about him now =()? Shaco Jungle, Lee sin Jungle, or LeBlanc mid can feed him kills early on, causeing the entire game to just push into your favor.

Does your game have literally no initiation? Galio, Wukong, and Shen are looking nice. Does your team have Excelent burst AOE damage, but no way to follow it up?(Orianna/Sona combo, with MF, and amumu jungle for example) Katarina fits in b-e-a-utifully.

Just keep this in mind: The thinner you spread yourself, the worst you will be. You will never be a 2500 player in every role, on every champion. If you watched the tournament, you hear the commentators talking about it all the time - "This player has a MASSIVE character range", talking about someone who plays 5 or 6 characters at the professional level.

Overall, find champions you love to play. I don't care if you like Annie, Anivia, Karma, or Lee sin - just play who you want to play. Once you get good enough, it doesn't matter who you're against. All match ups can be overtaken by skill, or a jungler, and no champion is without their flaws - or their boons.

Anzell

01-19-2013

Just make sure the roster of champions you are comfortable to play with can fit into the different roles needed for the team. AD, AP, jungler, support.

Blokfort

01-19-2013

Why not just like.. Play the game?