Never played Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Obsidian Turtle

01-19-2013

I played like 10 games of dominion when it first came out, and never played it again.

It looks kind of fun, though. Why is Dominion more appealing then Summoners Rift or Twisted Treeline to some people?

I'm not trying to say Dominion sucks or anything, I just want to know what Dominion caters to that Summoners Rift doesn't.

Also, if I were to try to start playing Dominion, any tips for me? I'm alright at Summoners Rift, and I have like 520 wins or something for it, but I don't know the slightest thing about Dominion.

Thanks!

Orphane

01-19-2013

Dominion offers constant pvp interaction from the start of the game, teamfights/skirmishes, capture and hold mechanics, and gold and xp income largely unrelated to laning for x minutes (unless you go bot).

It tests your map awareness, teamfighting skills, ability to allocate player resources, and moment-to-moment decisionmaking.

Obsidian Turtle

01-19-2013

Thanks! I noticed through the Spectator mode that practically every Dominion player runs Revive. Any reason for this? It has such a long cooldown, I fail to see why it'd be practical.

Rule 34

01-19-2013

Dominion is objective based, and critical revives can save points or win teamfights both early and late, when you need them most. Winning the first teamfight at Windmill/saving a point from an enemy is worth a summoner slot, especially when there's only one or two summoners for Dom that are of equal value (Exhaust and Garrison).

NamKim

01-19-2013

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2244698
This is the guide that I think all Dominion players should read. It is the Dominion eBook. Every advice I have received from higher elo players was just this guide but in more detail or more personalized.

It also covers your question on Revive. To give you a really quick answer (since I hate it when people just link you to something but doesn't actually answer your question), Revive (with the mastery) does three things: bring you back from the dead, give you a health boost, and gives you a temporary speed boost. The latter two are very good, the first one is incredibly good. I cannot tell you how many times I have made last second saves with this spell. The one thing I will say is that it is a spell that you don't want to waste. But learning to use it at the right time takes practice. You use it two or three times per game, so using it wrong once greatly reduces its worth.

As for why I prefer Dom over the other maps.

Well, I suppose I should first say a negative about Dominion. I feel as though in its current state, it cannot be as strategic as SR can be. Part of the reason is SR is just a longer game in different, distinct phases. Which is fine, since that's just the very nature of the game mode. I don't want Dominion to change into a longer game mode just to open up more strategic play since that would probably ruin it. Infinity minus one hundred is still infinity.

That being said, Dominion is map that could be played by the most casual of players as well as the most competitive of players.

Look at Dominion, in concept, it is a very simple map. The goal is to just capture and hold the majority of five points. It's a game that a child could understand and play with little difficulty. Pick a champion you want to play and go play. Unfortunately, this is what people think of when people talk about Dominion. It's like talking about Summoner's Rift by showing them clips played by players still under level 10 who don't know stuff like the meta, last hitting, jungling, etc. But this casual side of Dominion does exist. Some people think this is a shameful part of Dom, I think this part of Dom just means we embrace and accept players of all levels.

As for the competitive side of Dom. Watch any Dominate Dominion tournament stream, you will understand that this map is unbelievably competitive. It is very fast pace, people make quick decisions that may or may not be the right one, even the casters have a hard time sometimes keeping up with all the action, and there's two of them.

Also, Dominion is less frustrating. In SR, when you're going to lose, you know you're going to lose, it still takes like 20 more minutes before you officially lose, unless you surrender. In Dominion, massive comebacks are not uncommon. Even if you are in a situation where you know you are going to lose, you can still have fun.

I can go on and on why Dominion is so good. But, at the end of the day, this is just my opinion. You have you play it yourself and find out

P.S. Don't think I don't enjoy the other maps. I do. I enjoy playing SR, I just prefer Dom more.

Obsidian Turtle

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2244698
This is the guide that I think all Dominion players should read. It is the Dominion eBook. Every advice I have received from higher elo players was just this guide but in more detail or more personalized.

It also covers your question on Revive. To give you a really quick answer (since I hate it when people just link you to something but doesn't actually answer your question), Revive (with the mastery) does three things: bring you back from the dead, give you a health boost, and gives you a temporary speed boost. The latter two are very good, the first one is incredibly good. I cannot tell you how many times I have made last second saves with this spell. The one thing I will say is that it is a spell that you don't want to waste. But learning to use it at the right time takes practice. You use it two or three times per game, so using it wrong once greatly reduces its worth.

As for why I prefer Dom over the other maps.

Well, I suppose I should first say a negative about Dominion. I feel as though in its current state, it cannot be as strategic as SR can be. Part of the reason is SR is just a longer game in different, distinct phases. Which is fine, since that's just the very nature of the game mode. I don't want Dominion to change into a longer game mode just to open up more strategic play since that would probably ruin it. Infinity minus one hundred is still infinity.

That being said, Dominion is map that could be played by the most casual of players as well as the most competitive of players.

Look at Dominion, in concept, it is a very simple map. The goal is to just capture and hold the majority of five points. It's a game that a child could understand and play with little difficulty. Pick a champion you want to play and go play. Unfortunately, this is what people think of when people talk about Dominion. It's like talking about Summoner's Rift by showing them clips played by players still under level 10 who don't know stuff like the meta, last hitting, jungling, etc. But this casual side of Dominion does exist. Some people think this is a shameful part of Dom, I think this part of Dom just means we embrace and accept players of all levels.

As for the competitive side of Dom. Watch any Dominate Dominion tournament stream, you will understand that this map is unbelievably competitive. It is very fast pace, people make quick decisions that may or may not be the right one, even the casters have a hard time sometimes keeping up with all the action, and there's two of them.

Also, Dominion is less frustrating. In SR, when you're going to lose, you know you're going to lose, it still takes like 20 more minutes before you officially lose, unless you surrender. In Dominion, massive comebacks are not uncommon. Even if you are in a situation where you know you are going to lose, you can still have fun.

I can go on and on why Dominion is so good. But, at the end of the day, this is just my opinion. You have you play it yourself and find out

P.S. Don't think I don't enjoy the other maps. I do. I enjoy playing SR, I just prefer Dom more.
Wow, I really appreciate that you took the time to elaborate on the concept. Not many people do this. I might have to try Dom now

Basist

01-20-2013

Being able to play champs like Soraka/Sona without having to take multiple support items which would otherwise get you yelled at in SR is one of the bigger reasons for me. You can build who you pick to their full potential because of a much faster gold gain, giving you a better idea of how well you know/don't know your champ. My only beef is there being 4+ revives on each team every game, but it's the equivalent to SR flash...can't do much about that.

Harvester

01-20-2013

You know the idea of "clutch plays" and how they can cause a huge impact on a match, or even win the game outright? I like dominion because those are definitely possible whenever there is a teamfight over any point; clutch plays can lead your team to take Top (windmill) as well as take your opponent's mid (refinery or drill, respectively). The balance of the match can tip back and forth and the chance of a team snowballing is (typically) much lower on the Crystal Scar than it is on Summoner's Rift.

Proof of the depth that dominion matches can have is in the mind games teams can play against each other. Your team just won an easy fight top, took the point, and the two remaining members of your team decide to pressure your opponent's mid immediately afterwards. You two aren't able to cap the point because a single enemy champion keeps on interrupting y'all from just outside the entrance to their base. As a few more members of their team respawn, they make a foothold on that mid point, holding it despite continual pressure from your reunited 4-man group. During this standoff, your enemies pushed bot successfully, giving them a lead in capture points, 2 to 3.
Your team lost the lead because y'all overextended and now your group of 4 has to break apart to retake Bot. As soon as you do, your enemies charge from mid, trample y'all with superior numbers, and they reconquer top.
The same scenarios can happen due to the lack of vision in the "jungle" of the crystal scar. If one member of your team decides to grab the central buff alone and rejoin the group, BOOM they just go ganked. Your team has to stay on your point, unable to hamper the growing minion wave that'll take down your turret with the next enemy charge. The only time you really get a feeling of dread in dominion is when your team has an AFKer, otherwise you always have a chance to comeback.

Eloquid

01-20-2013

In S3 Farmer's Rift and Shadow Isle became incredibly slow and boring for me. They reduced minion value in hope that people will farm less and there will be more early level skirmishes. They achieved the opposite. Everybody's playing more conservative and farms more and longer in order to buy same items as before. Even 3v3 games often last 1 hour or more, which I find ridiculous.

So, once I discovered Dominion, that's all I play because:

1. No goddamn last hitting.
2. Many games last no longer than 5 minutes, at most 20 minutes, after that try new champion, build or strategy
3. If you end up with bad teammates, you're not prisoner of idiots who don't want to surrender next hour.
4. You start from level 3 and get passive experince and gold.
5. Mana replenishing aura, that reason enough in itself to play Dom imo.
6. Game on Dominion is never lost. I won game that we were losing 5-450 and lost game 0-1. Even lost game then feels good. At least to me.
7. Amazing music
8. Dom is not about kills, contrary to popular belief, it's about capturing turrets and there's quite a lot of strategy included, also contrary to what casual dom players think. Read Sauron's super duper guide.

As for Revive, you'll recognize Dom noob when he laughs at you in the lobby for taking it. Garrison and Revive are simply the best spells for Dom, but it takes experience to know when to use Revive. Also put points in correct masteries for them. And to use movement speed bonus after revive you have to start moving immediately.

Good luck!

Panzerzs

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Turtle View Post
Also, if I were to try to start playing Dominion, any tips for me? I'm alright at Summoners Rift, and I have like 520 wins or something for it, but I don't know the slightest thing about Dominion.
-Fun facts~
-Dominion is a fast paced game; when comparing the classic sr to dominion, their gameplays are really different (the rumors that say that dominion is fast paced & to win, all u do is kill people leads to why sr ppl say that dominion takes no skill)
-When you hit high elo, your team can get 60 kills on the enemy and die like.. 15 times, and still lose the game. It's about smart choices, not chasing and killing (death timers in dominion are A LOT smaller than the timers in sr)
-Dominion's map is 80% fog of war & obviously you can't use wards which makes it more fun to gank, be ganked, or set up for ambushes (exception of teemo shrooms etc)

-the summoner spells have changed drastically from when it came out making revive, garrison, exhaust, prob the best spells for dominion!
-The dominion games start off with team fights of 4 v 4 most of the time (4 go top, 1 goes bottom) which means that there is no such thing as laning phase unless ur bottom. Everyone gets fed so farming creeps is not essential (the bottom laner in dominion farms and mainly gets ahead of everyone compared to the ones who go top)

-Good basic tips to know is by reading Sauron's guide as he is the best of the best in dominion atm ~!
-In dominion, a lot of champions are not as good as they in dominion compared to sr (one reason being the fact that a team fight occurs every 30seconds and if ur ult is on a 2min CD timer, ur more or less in trouble --> Shen's ult)

-Windmill (the top point in the mini map) is considered the most essential in the game because if you do the math, the windmill (top point) is the farthest from the base which makes it the most challenging to get.