Solo top...ZYRA? It works well. Why don't people do it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UgIierBetty

01-19-2013

In an age where AD bruisers are dominating top lane, Zyra is the perfect candidate to act as a counter.

How so?
AD bruisers need to get close to you to kill. Zyra is one of the best zoners in the game. Plant your little turrets around, keep those AD bruisers at bay.

If they get too close, hit them with your Q or snare them.

Zyra can't 1v1 Darius!

No, but you don't have to as Zyra. Just stand by your turret and keep your plants up. You'll be able to farm easily while keeping your opponent away from you and your minions. You should be able to dominate in cs.

Poke him, too. Your plants do a lot of damage, your Q does a lot of damage. He WILL get low on health, and maybe you'll pick up a kill.

How do I kill?
Three scenarios:
(a) You do what was described above
(b) You get a gank
(b) They try to turret dive you (which 99% of AD top lane bruisers love doing). Of course they will dive you. You're a squishy mage with tasty flesh, and they're an AD bruiser. If they dive, just use your ult, use your snare, and make sure to have a few plants up as well. They'll be immobile under your turret for a long time while you're dealing damage to them with all of your skills plus your plants. They should die.

How did you find this out?
A few months ago I bought Zyra, so I was wanting to play her every game for a bit. All roles but top were called. I thought, "Oh well it's just blind pick"

I was against Darius and I just destroyed him. I carried the game after lane phase. I thought it was just a fluke, but ever since, every time I go solo top Zyra I carry.

UgIierBetty

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgIierBetty View Post
In an age where AD bruisers are dominating top lane, Zyra is the perfect candidate to act as a counter.

How so?
AD bruisers need to get close to you to kill. Zyra is one of the best zoners in the game. Plant your little turrets around, keep those AD bruisers at bay.

If they get too close, hit them with your Q or snare them.

Zyra can't 1v1 Darius!

No, but you don't have to as Zyra. Just stand by your turret and keep your plants up. You'll be able to farm easily while keeping your opponent away from you and your minions. You should be able to dominate in cs.

Poke him, too. Your plants do a lot of damage, your Q does a lot of damage. He WILL get low on health, and maybe you'll pick up a kill.

How do I kill?
Three scenarios:
(a) You do what was described above
(b) You get a gank
(b) They try to turret dive you (which 99% of AD top lane bruisers love doing). Of course they will dive you. You're a squishy mage with tasty flesh, and they're an AD bruiser. If they dive, just use your ult, use your snare, and make sure to have a few plants up as well. They'll be immobile under your turret for a long time while you're dealing damage to them with all of your skills plus your plants. They should die.

How did you find this out?
A few months ago I bought Zyra, so I was wanting to play her every game for a bit. All roles but top were called. I thought, "Oh well it's just blind pick"

I was against Darius and I just destroyed him. I carried the game after lane phase. I thought it was just a fluke, but ever since, every time I go solo top Zyra I carry.

WTF WHY WOULD SOMEONE DOWNVOTE THIS?

If you don't agree, comment.

Final Zenith

01-19-2013

Meh sounds ok but how about if you're fighting burst assassins such as Zed or Talon or Rengar? They do one swoop and kill "a squishy mage with tasty flesh" lol.

Hiryato

01-19-2013

Anyone with a gap closer will dominate zyra. She is way too squishy to go top. Some common top picks will roll over her (jax, lee, irelia just to name a few)

Final Zenith

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiryato View Post
Anyone with a gap closer will dominate zyra. She is way too squishy to go top. Some common top picks will roll over her (jax, lee, irelia just to name a few)
Exactly. So, is she still a viable solo top?

UgIierBetty

01-19-2013

Well I meant more of a counter pick to people like Darius.

and I don't know about that gap closer thing. If you turret hug, just use your snare/ult when they jump to you, and they should be dead. Ult+E+Q+plants+3-4 turret shots should be enough to kill anyone.

Causing Panic

01-19-2013

Quote:
Well I meant more of a counter pick to people like Darius.

and I don't know about that gap closer thing. If you turret hug, just use your snare/ult when they jump to you, and they should be dead. Ult+E+Q+plants+3-4 turret shots should be enough to kill anyone
theres a difference between a champion that can go top and a champ that just tops to counter :/

and shes so squishy even if you turret hug youre going to get dived by the jungler

Doumz

01-19-2013

If you miss your skillshots as zyra top you are dead meat, your snare is your only escape and if the ennemy champion jump on you to dodge it, he will kill you easy. You will have hard time before 6, then i think you can farm easy but you will be underfarmed except if your jungler babysit you till 6.

Fate000

01-19-2013

Yeah. Zyra seems a good solo top as a counterpick. If they have Darius/Udyr/Nocturne top (any champion that has to walk over to you to attack) you will own. Otherwise you will get owned.
Nice job finding that out though!