Runaan's Hurricane + Graves = Win?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Novagrol

12-07-2012

Hi everyone~

As I'm sure all of you are aware, Graves was part of this week's free champion rotation, much to my excitement, having always wanted to try him due to his insane attack speed steroid.

This coincided with the new items released recently, most exciting of which (in my opinion as a adc player) was Runaan's Hurricane. This exquisite item not only grants an incredible 70% attack speed, unmatched by anything else, it also splits your attacks into 3, hitting nearby enemies for 50% of your normal damage.

This alone can be considered well worth the 2750 gold asking price. However, the 2 extra bolts fired also apply on-hit effects. This can incorporate slows and DoT, but that's not the point of this thread.

After acquiring this item, I noticed something strange. My 'e' skill was almost never on cooldown. Since I was essentially attacking more than 3 times per second, I could refresh my 'e' (its cd reduces by 1 second every attack performed) constantly, resulting in almost capped attack speed, all the time.

Is this balanced? The premise of steroids is that they're supposed to be short-term, but as long as I'm attacking, I can pretty much always have Grave's steroid on top of the items I have.

Part of me wants to keep this my little secret, but I realized that most of you are surely intelligent people and would have realized this already.

So, is it fair? Applying this method makes Graves a true dps monster, out scaling pretty much every other adc.

Thoughts? Opinions?

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

12-07-2012

It's infinitely better on Varus.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

Drains mana like hell, but yes, that's one way to do it.

Frankly, Graves scales much better with AD than AS, so I'd say it's a balanced trade-off.

Endovior

12-07-2012

There are a number of champions that benefit disproportionately from Hurricane.
Building on-hit stacks is one of the possibilities; Caitlyn can get it to have her Headshot proc a lot more (nearly every attack, in a brush), and TF can hit with his Stacked Deck every other attack. As Graves it helps you proc your passive, giving you more +AS then the item normally grants... and it also helps a lot with your positioning, which is huge.

It's a lot scarier on Twitch, though; not only does it put more stacks of his poison out there in general (helping a lot with his Expunge), when he ults, he can hit people with the ult attack AND the secondary bolt, since the ult multi-hits his autoattacks as is; assuming someone conveniently standing right behind his target, that's 130% damage, up from 80%.

Vongeo

12-07-2012

Kog anyone? graves meh, but kog! op.

Ray The Vanguard

12-08-2012

Teemo is god with this item...

Kog? Whut? Kog! Sthaaappp!!!!
PENTAKILL!!!

Seriously? This item is Kog's best friend forever.

TealNinje

12-08-2012

I'm just thinking Runaan's Hurricane + Frozen Mallet on support Ashe.

Barrath

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novagrol View Post
Since I was essentially attacking more than 3 times per second, I could refresh my 'e' (its cd reduces by 1 second every attack performed) constantly, resulting in almost capped attack speed, all the time.
Not to be painfully specific, but it's impossible for you to attack faster than 2.5 attacks per second due to the attack speed cap.

XIIILelouchXIII

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealNinje View Post
I'm just thinking Runaan's Hurricane + Frozen Mallet on support Ashe.
Ahem, why the Frozen Mallet? Ashe has an on-hit slow anyways.

Drevi

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrath View Post
Not to be painfully specific, but it's impossible for you to attack faster than 2.5 attacks per second due to the attack speed cap.
The point of the post is that hurricane splits your AAs into 3. He would just need 1aps to be firing 3aps. At 2.5aps you would be doing 7.5aps