Why You Shouldn't Like Thresh

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nodeemus

Junior Member

05-08-2013

"Minions are constructs of the League, used specifically for battle arenas. They aren't sentient. In the earliest days of the League during their extensive testing phase there was a rumor that they were using sentient beings as minions. They even supposedly used necromancy to summon skeletal minions to fight as the minions of today do. Such rumors are generally thought to be unsubstantiated." -- league of legends wiki

When Thresh takes a soul he "leaves in his wake hollow corpses, their souls ripped loose and trapped in the sickly green light of his lantern." (Thresh's lore)

So where is Thresh getting his souls from on the field? To me it seems like a giant hole in his lore and the lore of Runeterra.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carnack

Senior Member

05-08-2013

...so wait.

I get to collect hundreds of minion souls and they are real?

Do they cry and beg for mercy too? :3


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crimson5pheonix

Senior Member

05-08-2013

You can also collect the same champion's soul over and over again, what's your point?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nodeemus

Junior Member

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson5pheonix View Post
You can also collect the same champion's soul over and over again, what's your point?
That is my point! It doesn't make sense that you get to collect a champions soul over and over again. Let alone souls from minions who don't have souls.

Thresh's lore just... destroys everything else so far. It doesn't make sense.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carnack

Senior Member

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodeemus View Post
That is my point! It doesn't make sense that you get to collect a champions soul over and over again. Let alone souls from minions who don't have souls.

Thresh's lore just... destroys everything else so far. It doesn't make sense.
In this case game mechanic win over lore. Mechanicly it does not make sense according to the lore but the mechanic is very cool.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crimson5pheonix

Senior Member

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodeemus View Post
That is my point! It doesn't make sense that you get to collect a champions soul over and over again. Let alone souls from minions who don't have souls.

Thresh's lore just... destroys everything else so far. It doesn't make sense.
"My verisimilitude, it's SHATTERED! REALITY CRACKS LIKE THOUSANDS OF SHARDS OF GLASS RAINING DOWN TO SHRED MY PERCEPTIONS OF FICTION!"

Oh well, how does Cass turn Malphite to stone anyway? Why does Corki fly faster with boots? Can you see why kids crave the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nodeemus

Junior Member

05-08-2013

I see what you both are getting at, and I suppose I didn't think entirely of that. Still, with those items a person could coerce some lore into them.

Like case turns malph into stone because malphite is actually made up of a lot of different stones. Cass's ult fuses all his joints into one giant stone for a period of time.

The boots don't actually provide movement speed, but the magic attached to them does. Corki still slips those bad boys on and the magic provides the speed.

Teemo still blinds lee because his toxic darts don't just blind, they disorient. (that ones extra )

Kids crave the taste of cinnamon toast crunch because they don't taste anything like cinnamon.

So even though some of those are a little bit of a stretch, they still work, even if only barely.

Thresh's entire character is based on stealing souls from Champions who recover instantly and minions who don't have souls to begin with. I agree that it's a cool mechanic, but it seems like there has to be a better way to go around it then to stomp on the lore.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodeemus View Post
That is my point! It doesn't make sense that you get to collect a champions soul over and over again. Let alone souls from minions who don't have souls.

Thresh's lore just... destroys everything else so far. It doesn't make sense.
According to lore;

Lux has powers of invisibility via optics
Wukong has an infinitely extending staff for a weapon
Kog'maw should be eating things, not vomiting on them

...shall I continue? Just because the lore says something doesn't mean it will happen in the game. Balance>Lore.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nodeemus

Junior Member

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMyBassCannon View Post
According to lore;

Lux has powers of invisibility via optics
Wukong has an infinitely extending staff for a weapon
Kog'maw should be eating things, not vomiting on them

...shall I continue? Just because the lore says something doesn't mean it will happen in the game. Balance>Lore.

That's actually a little different then what I am talking about. Your examples actually add to the lore, not contradict it.

For example, it makes sense that Lux has powers of invisibility since she does so much with light. It also makes sense that she would choose not to use it in the fields of justice, maybe by choice or by law.

It's cool that Wukong has an infinitely extending weapon. It doesn't change Runeterra's lore, it makes me thing "wow cool there is something in Runeterra that is able to do that? I wonder where it came from..."

As far as kog'maw goes, "The most composed of his victims may have had time to wonder if this was due to the caustic enzymes which stung the ground as they dripped from his gaping mouth..." So it makes sense he drools a little.

Thresh's lore says he collects souls for eternity and tortures them. However the champions walk away unscathed and minions don't have souls.

It's annoying!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JoEpic

Member

05-08-2013

just gonna throw this out guys, could the league have taken all his souls (because indeed he starts with none) then doles them out as he goes ahead and kills stuff, i mean they have imprisoned people before so as i see it they are in the right position do this kind of thing to Keep a champion in their precious league >.> just brainstorming


12