BORK vs. Bloodthirster----Playtest First Impressions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ony74

02-10-2013

I have been intrigued by this new item, this Blade of the Ruined King. So I have been testing it out...however, results have been less than satisfying...

After a round of extensive, (though not yet exhaustive) testing, this is what I have concluded about our AD replacement for Mardreds.

Damage wise, the BORK outshines the BT if the opponent has more than 1500 hp. How ever, the margin is less than you would expect. Using Caitin, built with Zerker Boots, two BF Swords, a Hurricane, and a Last Whisper, against an Amumu with 4k health and 200 armour.
The build with the BORK took 22.6 seconds to kill the target from full health, using the active from the start.

The build that used a BT with 25 stacks took 22.9 seconds to accomplish the same task.

It took the BORK much longer to finish the target once it reached close to 1500 health. The BT build took marginally longer to bring the target from full health to half.

This is merely some preliminary testing, but it does not give me much confidence in the item. What I do draw from this is a number of things. One, if you are even in game, or ahead, the BT is a much better choice to pick for damage and sustain mid game. Since most your targets should not have much more tan 2k health at this time, the effectiveness of the BORK is greatly reduced, and will not help you secure a win as much as a BT.

However, if you are losing your lane, BORK may be a good choice given it has cheaper components than the BT. If you are losing ground in your lane and your opponent has a BF Sword, it makes little sense to return to lane with nothing while you save up for a BF Sword of your own if you can readily afford a Pickax.

Secondly, another possible situation that the BORK may be a better choice than the BT is if the opposing team has more than 2 people with more than 2k health, and your team is having difficulty killing them, the BORK could potentially help bring their hp down low enough for your teammates to burst them down to death.

Barring these scenarios though, it seems that the Bloodthirster is still the go-to item for ADCs that need damage as well as sustain.

What are your thoughts?

Nasulril

02-10-2013

BotRK is something a smart ADC should build if their team is struggling and they are getting killed before they could potentially have a fully farmed Thirster.
That is a key difference in the items, that one doesn't need charged for it's best use.

I'd point out that BotRK works well for assassins, bruisers, and AD tanks, as they are roles that later in teamfights have a higher risk of death and won't have the luxury of farming back up.

Slash7

02-11-2013

people used to build 2 Bloods and 2 phantoms
try this mah boi
Blood, 2 phantoms, King as last or semi last item instead 2nd BT

67chrome

02-11-2013

Blade of the Ruined King strikes me more as a life steal option for anyone that isn't an AD Carry rather than a health shred item for an AD Carry. The current health shred makes it more or less impossible to empower with any AD attributes - so if you're someone like Olaf that's going to primarily build defense it's not a bad idea. The active is also substantially better on melee champions than ranged ones due to it's limited range. It's not a bad buy on on-hit builds reliant on a lot of magic damage either, such as hybrid Kayle, Jax, or Teemo for some extra sustain. On assassins like Zed and Talon it's also handy for the psychological effect after they pick up a Black Cleaver and Last Whisper that basically says "you cannot counter-build me ever". Current health isn't very different from max health if you're an assassin or someone with an exacute like Garen or Darius either, as when you get someone low you burst them down. And if you're a jungler... Nashor and Dragon certainly have enough health for it to be useful. Even the sigil monsters do.

On an AD Carry that can scale % life steal with crits, speed, damage, armor penetration, and splash damage - Blade of the Ruined King isn't very competitive against other life steal options. Purchasing it when you're behind doesn't seem like a bad idea though. Comparing Blade of the Ruined King to the Bloodthirster is kind of like comparing Frozen Mallet to Rylie's Crystal Scepter though - they're not really designed for the same champion even though they accomplish similar things.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2013

Whether or not you get it depends on how much you value the speed boost/ slow utility, imo.

RockJockey

02-11-2013

Try combining BoRK with Hurricane.