Vaulting off Tyrant Swain's proposal - splitting Ask Threads from RP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vice Emargo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

So...I guess it's coming down to where everything must be like an organized, but still messy pile of threads? Why can't we just have fun. YES, maybe we seem to be breaking the fourth wall in EVERY ASK THREAD...but, I've just come to believe that an event, such as a fight or a visit, and a question being asked, take place at different times. At the same time, people who do not go like, "Johnathan entered ----'s home. 'Hello ----! How are you doing!' " <--- Things like that where people ROLEPLAY THEIR ENTRANCE INTO A THREAD, take place at a different time a fight is going on, regardless of when the post was made. But people who just say like, " '----, how are you doing? Did you.......' " and such, WHO DIDNT ROLEPLAY AN ENTRANCE, can simply be justified by being answered, because maybe they didn't want to get involved in an RP that is taking place. I hope you people understand what I mean.

AODRG

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergheis View Post
The way things are run now, there's a "responsibility" to be in your thread at all times.

Our current setup works but it limits the RP Universe from developing. If Klarth asks Lux on a date, her thread now has a predicament. If she leaves, she shouldn't be there anymore, naturally. However, if people want to continue asking questions, they either can't, or they ask anyway. Then, Lux must

A) come up with a way to respond while away
B) answer anyway, having a second copy of herself
C) not go on the date in the first place.
D) not answer at all

Now this all sorts itself out anyway, but different people take different directions with it, so there's no clear understanding on what is going on.

It's not like you can't RP in their home. If Lux or any other champion wants to make a Lux's home RP, she can do it. This simply splits the Questions into another thread.

@Fizz, that's what I'm asking, yes. On things getting convoluted, it's convoluted as it is with subsections in the "A day in" threads, so thaaaaats not a problem.
I see what you're getting at. Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that by asking questions, some people end up in a situation that leads to RP-ing in their Ask threads. While I could understand the perpose, I can't see a reason to have 109 ask threads AND 109 home/rp threads for everyone when most people already use their ask thread for their home.

Ask the Kumiho

01-19-2013

I personally don't want to have to monitor two threads, so I'll be keeping my roleplay inside my ask threads (despite me complaining all the time since I'm a lazy bum).

Like how I'm in the Catch the Fox thread while still being asked random questions. d:

Ask Tyrant Swain

01-19-2013

Actually, I proposed to make ''A day in ______'' threads for all locations in Valoran and throw people in there and then turn the ask threads into regular columns.
Probably too messy, tho...

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

I still don't understand why people decided to RP in their Ask columns in the first place. Even in JoJ, when asking a champion something, they only replied with text. While RPing your character in a location thread is fine, I don't get why would people RP in what was originally intended to be a newspaper-like Ask column. It probably had to do with the influx of Ask champions who misinterpreted the concept, but it's too late to think of that now, since this should be fixed, and I suppose that's what the thread is about, no?

The biggest problem is that Ask RP doesn't have any form of coherence or continuity. People don't keep track of their timelines, they disregard the basic principle of not being in two locations at once, and it leads to utter chaos in all threads that they take part in, because if something significant happens, it will screw up their timelines so much that it would be better for serious events not to happen at all.

In perfection, it would be as following: there would be 3 classes of threads. Ask columns, location threads, and event threads.

Ask columns are, in a way, 'immune' to timelines, because Champions answer them in their free time, when they aren't doing something else. The events that happen in other threads still have to be taken into account though - after a certain event happens, you would be able to mention it, but not in real time, like 'I'm fighting monsters as I'm writing this'. Because of this, RP should be kept out of these threads, because it will make timelines very difficult.

Location threads are where you have to keep your timelines - if you're present in one, you can't be present in another at the same time unless you're Shaco or something. These should be threads for casual, but aware RP, where Champions can do average things. A lot of people are not used to taking these threads seriously, mostly because they don't even RP seriously as it stands. Surely, comedy is perfectly acceptable, but disregarding things that are important to a character's timeline, is not. Location threads are basically your daily RP threads. You can still ask Champions questions here, but if they're busy with something or can't answer for whatever reason, they won't answer. That's the place where to ask a question, you have to RP yourself arriving, coming in contact with your subject, and asking the actual question, and vice versa.

And Event threads are those big event ones, like Snowdown or Harrowing, or any other big events that players can think of. These should be properly announced before they start, and people who wish to participate should handle their business beforehand. So if they were having a party in a Location thread in Bandle City, they have to prepare for the trip to an Event thread in Demacia. Participating in an Event obviously excludes the possibility of being present in a location thread for the duration, but Ask columns can still be answered. Obviously, you can only mention the Event in your Ask column after the Event is over, and your Champion 'returns home' to answer those questions. Use logic.

And obviously this requires more effort from every Ask Champion out there. But things don't come easily - if you want a non-cluttered forum with consistent RP, you have to push down on your laziness, and think about the consequences of your actions for once. Randomness sure is fun sometimes, but only to a degree - with everyone doing everything everywhere at the same time, it becomes one big mess. No one will keep track of your timelines except for yourselves, and if you want to RP better, it's your own duty to do it better.

Ask Talon

01-19-2013

It seeped in.

Leethes

01-19-2013

This is the RP forum isnt it meant to RP, even in the ask threads :T i like it how it are...

Ask Talon

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vice Emargo View Post
So...I guess it's coming down to where everything must be like an organized, but still messy pile of threads? Why can't we just have fun. YES, maybe we seem to be breaking the fourth wall in EVERY ASK THREAD...but, I've just come to believe that an event, such as a fight or a visit, and a question being asked, take place at different times. At the same time, people who do not go like, "Johnathan entered ----'s home. 'Hello ----! How are you doing!' " <--- Things like that where people ROLEPLAY THEIR ENTRANCE INTO A THREAD, take place at a different time a fight is going on, regardless of when the post was made. But people who just say like, " '----, how are you doing? Did you.......' " and such, WHO DIDNT ROLEPLAY AN ENTRANCE, can simply be justified by being answered, because maybe they didn't want to get involved in an RP that is taking place. I hope you people understand what I mean.

People wondered why Talon was pissed when 3 people were inside his home asking him questions without permission....

It's his house.

Dear Urgot

01-19-2013

Doesn't matter. No one visits my thread anyways.

Urgot needs a drink.

EDIT: I agree with the post below me.

Askhexplosive

01-19-2013

I like the way things are currently. It'd be extremily messy to have 2 threads for every champion. And the RPing in the ask threads adds a certain fun sense of personality and character that's quite refreshing and part of the whole charm of an Ask thread.

Come on people, we don't need to have a revolution every 2nd day. It got bad enough with the complaint threads a while back. sheesh.