Help me Improve~

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

spitfiremoe

10-20-2010

Pausing the video during intense battles and fights scenes to explain whats going on, thumbs up! Pausig while demoig hte abilities, thumbs down. I would like to see repitition in any advice you give. Take an move explain how to use it in a specific way, then show it done 2-3 times. Then explain the next ability or trick. Pausing or slowmo on the video is important to highlite specific details such as getting an auto attack of between casts as lux, even when the fight is a frantic melee. All in all i am very happy with champion spotlights. Thank you for the extra effort!

adwark

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Slow mo is way better than pausing.

Makes me think my browser is frozen.
This man speaks the truth.Go Matrix on its bottom!!!

Rotflcopter

10-20-2010

it is good to pause, explain and restart the video.

no need to change

Dysber

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
Feel free to post any constructive criticisms here, but I want to ask about a specific topic:

I don't like having to pause the video constantly (as with the "how to juke Yi using the brush) to explain a very short situation, because it looks a little janky and isn't really very sexy.

Sometimes it's cool, like the pauses for aiming skill-shots with the Anivia video or when ulting Akali near the end, and I think it's even permissible with the skill demos so I can focus on what the particles look like, though I'd like to find a slightly better solution there if possible. Probably taking the time to farm 40% CDR and tanking it up with Frozen Heart, Soul Shroud, and 4 Warmogs would work.

What would be a better way to put a lot of information in a short clip?
You could also try "video in video". You explain what you are doing in the main video and during this explanation you can blend in a "training" video (over the minimap for example) where the main steps are in slow motion. This way the flow of the normal video isnt disturbed and those that really need to see what you are explaining becasue they dont understand it can check the slow motion. But please dont use the same video just in slow motion that would kinda look stupid.

ANd when you did that with more videos you can at some points bring out a complete "training video" where you play all of those videos in one. E.g. whenever you got 10 of those "training" videos you cut them together to a compilation. Wouldnt make much more effort.

Staging something that actually happened should be easy. And this way you stage it after each video becasue sometimes you come up with the best tips only when they actually happen

BACKSTABUUU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2010

The videos have been getting shorter I noticed, perhaps you should add a replay of non-commentary worthy plays so we can see the character in action? Or just replay key play from the video at the end, I like to watch the spotlights and just see how you use the characters, I tend to do well when I parrot somebody else, it really helps to visually see what a good player does.

Edit: Wow, I get downvoted for this? If don't know a character, then perhaps copying what a good player does is better than feeding 20+ games. But no, don't worry community, you're doing it right.

Balive

10-20-2010

Phreak, instead of pausing can you just slow the video down by like 400%?

Dracozero

10-20-2010

Slowmo and rewind seem good ideas. Also, lots of highlighting arows.

Lehran Fye

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shealth View Post
Slowmo / rewinding and replaying.
This

Patronum

10-20-2010

inb4moarShureliainit

Paradox

Adjudicator

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
Feel free to post any constructive criticisms here, but I want to ask about a specific topic:

I don't like having to pause the video constantly (as with the "how to juke Yi using the brush) to explain a very short situation, because it looks a little janky and isn't really very sexy.

Sometimes it's cool, like the pauses for aiming skill-shots with the Anivia video or when ulting Akali near the end, and I think it's even permissible with the skill demos so I can focus on what the particles look like, though I'd like to find a slightly better solution there if possible. Probably taking the time to farm 40% CDR and tanking it up with Frozen Heart, Soul Shroud, and 4 Warmogs would work.

What would be a better way to put a lot of information in a short clip?
Have you experimented with slow motion at all? I think it would be interesting if you explained something quickly while its playing out and then going back with slow motion on and watching it again. You could play the clip first and then do a rewind effect and then start over in slow-motion giving detailed information as its happening.

That might get a little played out though as you do it a lot. You should try and develop a series of techniques that you can cycle through as needed.

12345678 ... 9