Why Everyone Hates the Proposed Atma's Impaler change, and Why They're Wrong

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ursalgodon

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazow View Post
i see your point
I think the way you've phrased it is an improvement...

Ursalgodon

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
Quoting myself:
Ah. So Riot does understand what's going on... I'm glad.

Demacia

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursalgodon View Post
As many of you know, the recipe for Atma's Impaler was going to be changed. The 18% was going to be exchanged for 180 health, and the total cost reduced. Everyone on the test realm hated it, even though the new Atma's would have much more internal synergy. It could be a viable mid-game investment instead of (at best) a late-game luxury. From a design point of view, it was much improved.

But there's a deep problem nobody noticed: there are only two other items with both damage and crit chance, and neither can be stacked efficiently. There are several champions who want no other stats except damage and crit chance (Gangplank comes to mind), and if the Atma's change went through, they would have too few options.

Everyone was right to hate it, but not for the reasons they gave.

Here's what needs to happen. Atma's Impaler needs to build from a Ruby Crystal instead of a Cloak of Agility, and in the same patch, Riot should release a new item with damage and crit chance and a non-unique passive so that Gangplank and Tryndamere can go wild with it.
*cough*ghostblade is a staple for melee dps*cough*

BACKSTABUUU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2010

I don't wanna see it change because it will royally **** over my pirate build.

I don't wanna be stuck with only critplank, I like to build survivability/damage/slight crit, and it works wonders. If Atma's changes, I'm stuck with critplank, which is probably the most awful build ever conceived.

LunarisDream

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2010

Ugh, so much for my crit Shen who has 33% crit chance with Atma's and runes.

I really don't like this that much. The crit chance gives some nice burst that the health will not make up for.

EveryTimeV

10-20-2010

Quote:
Quoting myself:

I still think Atma's is a very good item for Jax to get, right after Rageblade.

The change would just make it even better though.

Temlam

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by die4769 View Post
I don't wanna see it change because it will royally **** over my pirate build.

I don't wanna be stuck with only critplank, I like to build survivability/damage/slight crit, and it works wonders. If Atma's changes, I'm stuck with critplank, which is probably the most awful build ever conceived.
*goes to play AP plank*

BACKSTABUUU

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temlam View Post
*goes to play AP plank*
Anything but critplank man.

I guess I'll have to learn Tankplank.

Dreampod

10-20-2010

I always loved Atma's (particularly on Gangplank and Tryndamere) and thought it was profoundly underrated.

That said I do agree that the new version of Atma's is more internally consistent and have a wider appeal.

Tyhan

10-20-2010

Quote:
Quoting myself:
Atma's is almost a core item on my melee DPS builds. Simply because melee DPS don't work without 3500+ HP and 150+ armor to begin with, and it synergized with a high HP pool, gave me armor, and still gave the AD and Crit I needed to roll melee DPS.

If you want to make an item like the proposed Atma's changes just make a new item with what you want and leave Atma's where it is.

Atma's works on far more than just Gangplank and Tryndamere. It works on Xin, Garen, Yi, Ezreal/Tristana as an upgrade to the chain vest you got to not die instantly when you have all your items.