Computer look good enough to go?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tragalo

Senior Member

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Man, once again so much misinformation in a computer thread.

First, please don't listen to what Peaceful Angel has said. Not to be a jerk here, but I have to point out that it is completely wrong.

AMD and Intel are not on the same level of performance, Intel flat out beats anything and everything AMD has. Intel is simply more expensive, so you must weight the pros and cons and how they pertain your specific needs. Secondly, AMD doesn't run hotter than Intel, it is the opposite, by a pretty large margin. In general you do not want to go beyond 55c on AMD, Intel you can actually approach 90c with Ivy Bridge.

In terms of more general performance, AMD completely falls off when you reach the i5 3570K/2500K processors, they can't compete. More cores doesn't translate into anything tangible, unless you have absolutely identical IPC and the scenario will utilize a multitude of threads. Since this isn't the case, as AMD's IPC is still behind even Intel's Sandy Bridge, you can't just say "More cores is better!!".

As for the system you have listed, there isn't any reason to purchase a 570, especially at that cost. They can be found used online for well under $200. At the price point you are at with that 570 you can almost purchase an AMD 7970, they run about $380, the fastest single GPU video card on the market.

EDIT: Here is a system that would put the boot to what you have by a large margin...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($297.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.75 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $825.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
[i](Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-18 21:14 EST-0500)[/i

Option two, next step up in video card to the 7970, a little out of your said budget, but just an idea.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($20.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($35.75 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $897.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-18 21:16 EST-0500)

Just to drive this home further; the system you have in your link has absolutely no chance of keeping up with either one of the two above systems.

Everything here said is correct, however I believe according to intel's website, the max temp of the I5-3570k is roughly 70*C before it will shut off, not 90.

Source: http://ark.intel.com/products/65520/...up-to-3_80-GHz

EDIT: That's optimal temperature not max scratch that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragalo View Post
Everything here said is correct, however I believe according to intel's website, the max temp of the I5-3570k is roughly 70*C before it will shut off, not 90.

Source: http://ark.intel.com/products/65520/...up-to-3_80-GHz

EDIT: That's optimal temperature not max scratch that.
That is correct, ideally you want to stay under 70c, my 2500K is at about 35c to 40c underwater at 4.6Ghz full load. However, Ivy Bridge can still function up to 90c without any impact to the life of the processor itself.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tragalo

Senior Member

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
That is correct, ideally you want to stay under 70c, my 2500K is at about 35c to 40c underwater at 4.6Ghz full load. However, Ivy Bridge can still function up to 90c without any impact to the life of the processor itself.
What's funny is my I7-2600k @ 4.5GHz on air cooling(Evo 212) hit 60*C once and I got very worried, now I know I am fine, especially at 1.04V's(bios reads 1.3V tho).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
First, please don't listen to what Peaceful Angel has said. Not to be a jerk here, but I have to point out that it is completely wrong.

AMD and Intel are not on the same level of performance, Intel flat out beats anything and everything AMD has. Intel is simply more expensive, so you must weight the pros and cons and how they pertain your specific needs. Secondly, AMD doesn't run hotter than Intel, it is the opposite, by a pretty large margin. In general you do not want to go beyond 55c on AMD, Intel you can actually approach 90c with Ivy Bridge.

In terms of more general performance, AMD completely falls off when you reach the i5 3570K/2500K processors, they can't compete. More cores doesn't translate into anything tangible, unless you have absolutely identical IPC and the scenario will utilize a multitude of threads. Since this isn't the case, as AMD's IPC is still behind even Intel's Sandy Bridge, you can't just say "More cores is better!!".
You know, I was about to write a really lengthy post addressing everything he said; but I like the way you did it more. Might be slightly because I didn't bother to finish reading the thread before deciding to post heh.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragalo View Post
What's funny is my I7-2600k @ 4.5GHz on air cooling(Evo 212) hit 60*C once and I got very worried, now I know I am fine, especially at 1.04V's(bios reads 1.3V tho).
Under full load you are only hitting 1.04v and at 4.5Ghz, but 60c? Do you live somewhere really hot, or have your cables just criss crossing the case? How about your fan orientation? 4.5Ghz at 1.04v is extremely low voltage for that much of an OC. Most in my circle would consider that a "Golden" chip and they tend to sell for around $500.

The only oddity in what you said is that temp, I wonder if you are having air flow issues through the entire case.....

In any case, I would love to see that chip under water, I could see it hitting 5Ghz without any problem at all. That is just a crazy low voltage for 4.5, most tend to sit around 1.2v maybe even 1.35v.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tragalo

Senior Member

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Twinkie View Post
Under full load you are only hitting 1.04v and at 4.5Ghz, but 60c? Do you live somewhere really hot, or have your cables just criss crossing the case? How about your fan orientation? 4.5Ghz at 1.04v is extremely low voltage for that much of an OC. Most in my circle would consider that a "Golden" chip and they tend to sell for around $500.

The only oddity in what you said is that temp, I wonder if you are having air flow issues through the entire case.....

In any case, I would love to see that chip under water, I could see it hitting 5Ghz without any problem at all. That is just a crazy low voltage for 4.5, most tend to sit around 1.2v maybe even 1.35v.
HWMonitor says core voltage 1.044V, but the bios reads it at 1.332V. I am assuming the bios is more accurate. My cable management is amazing, nearly every single cable is routed on the back of the case. I have a cooler master HAF 932 Blue edition, and switched my side fan to exhaust due to heat worries(But a GTX 480 runs hot anyway).

GTS 450(temp card) can "almost" hit 60*C under full load, wow/league/Bf3 ultra/high @ 1080p(single player)


12