Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LitterBug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Can you guys please look at matchmaking again?

It feels like in normal draft, the people that are on your team have similar wins and the people on the other team all have similar wins.

However the average of one team does not necessarily match the average of the other.

natemiddleman2

01-23-2013

I have a suggestion. Make it so that number of wins is only relevant when
A) Playing normals below level 30
B) Playing ranked below 100 games

Reasons
A) By the time someone has reached level 30 they will have reached their true normal elo so number of wins won't matter
B) This is to keep players new to ranked (and on average worse than people who play ranked a lot) from getting matched with people who have a true elo of ~1200. After 100 games, they have likely reached their true elo so again number of wins won't matter.

Conclusion
Number of wins should only be used when there is not enough information to match someone based on skill level

MechaMacster

01-23-2013

Question for you reds, I noticed this weekend is a double IP fiesta! Is this a way to bribe more people to play to get more data for this new MM system? I'm not complaining, I'd rather like to reap the benefits of such a bribe, but was just curious. And in case the answer is yes, can you require more data more often? :P

Camen Sieder

01-23-2013

I dont think your system is working guys...

I hjust played against a level 29 with 17 wins, going to have to say "DOUBT IT" with these new changes you've claimed to have made...

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9887/mmchanges.jpg

Ryios

01-23-2013

I loathe the new system. I went from winning 80% of matches to loosing every match I've played since except one. Maybe the real problem is I'm being matched with role fighters in normal blind and I need to move to draft and get good at every role, but I like playing normal blind. I like the randomness in not knowing what the other team is picking and don't want to be forced to play draft, or go ranked. I take this game seriuosly in normal blind pick and with this new system I constantly get grouped with people who roam, feed, troll, and constantly say things like "It's just a game" and don't give it an effort or take it seriously. Or people will say "I'm just trying to have fun". "Really, getting rofl stomped in a 1 v 5 and dieing so you can stare at a timer for 50 seconds is fun?" And of the last 5 games we had a proper meta, with a support, in normal blind pick and no one would ward, ever. And everytime I'm on a team that won't ward, the enemy team has 100 wards on the map. So I buy some wards, and they pink every one of them. Every game since this system wen't live it's like the scale has been tipped in extreme favor of the other team.

I don't really think number of wins is relative without factoring in the losses. So if someone's elo is calculated at 297 wins and 260 (guess, I think with this new system I'm closer to 280 now) losses to be around 1470 match me by that. I think that was working a lot better than it is now.

Also, I think number of wins should be based on a time frame of say 6 months. If someone has 1000 wins and the game launched in 2008, that doesn't mean they have won 20 games a month for 48 months. They could have won 1000 games 2008-2010, sat the account down for 2 years then hoped into a game for the first time in 2 years and got matched on my team.

Draaaaaaavén

01-23-2013

Ever since this change, I've been getting more and more games where I just stomp people. We were running a 5-man and ran into two teams that were so bad by ten minutes, they literally gave up.

The highest win-count we have is somewhere near 990 and everyone else is sub 700. Is this just were people who are not good enough for ranked linger, or something? Seriously had four games yesterday where we didn't have to try.

Lundivar

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deirmon View Post
Ever since this change, I've been getting more and more games where I just stomp people. We were running a 5-man and ran into two teams that were so bad by ten minutes, they literally gave up..
This has been my experience as well, though I've been on both ends of this. Either getting steamrolled by the other team, or winning with 1 or no deaths.

The results seem quite polarized, maybe still statistically ok(?), but playing is very "different" and... much less fun.

Fluffy Ahri

01-23-2013

I got a lv 12 account on lol BR, is IMPOSSIBLE to win once, if I want to win I have to vs bots, gg riot

And I cant transfer because riot went greedy, and here I have to play vs diamond players(normal queue)

Zannypants

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Mfw we have always been paired up with people near our wins. Yet for some reason you decide to make our queue 5 minutes long every time, to get paired up with the same people we always have. Thanks.

Gouv1

01-23-2013

Hello Lyte,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
One, the average game has a much closer win differential than before, so we know the feature is at least doing what it's supposed to.
I'd say hopefully it's doing what it's supposed to :-). However this isn't a "win" as is since as you already said it there isn't much a difference between 1000 and 5000 wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Taking all three points into account, we believe the Number of Wins feature is a net positive and don't believe it's creating more lopsided games than before. However...
I believe this isn't a net positive. First point doesn't mean much to players like me with around 500 wins (see euw account). Second point will be fixed, and Third point is a status quo. However before I had around 30sec queue while today I'd be happy if it didn't hit 1min.

I don't really see the positive it created for me. Maybe for players who just hit level 30 it's more noticeable and maybe your stats could focus on that. But for me right now, I don't think it's a positive.

Also I believe this could create "parallel elos" even with the new league system coming up which could be really frustrating...