Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zielmann

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Taking all three points into account, we believe the Number of Wins feature is a net positive and don't believe it's creating more lopsided games than before. However, we have a few improvements we want to make to the feature--we will most likely increase the weighting for skill rating (Elo) so that skill rating is always much higher priority than number of wins. This will fix Issue #2 I pointed out above, while retaining some of the benefits of adding Number of Wins to the matchmaker.
Does ranked Elo factor into normal queues yet? I think I read something about it being looked into some time ago. If so, how is that handled with the Elo resets between seasons?

Aaron Rodgers

01-22-2013

I haven't read the responses and I doubt it will even get read, but I do not like the new system. Part of my fun in dota was just playing pubs and ****ting on people. I can't do that anymore in this game. My normal games are now full of all gold, platinum, and diamond players even though I am a silver elo player. If I wanted to play that serious of a game I would play ranked. I wish normal was just mass chaos randomness where you could end up with anyone. But oh well, just another thing that is keeping me from wanting to play this game these days.

Regulas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Ok it has been said that it only counts wins for the specific queue, does this refer only to the different maps or also down to Normal/Draft/Ranked?

My concern is that I have ~ 1000 wins on SR, but very few wins in ranked (50-80 maybe counting all seasons) as i have mostly avoided playing ranked, and that this could actually result in me being paired with worse players in ranked because we have the same number of ranked wins despite me having played hundreds and hundreds of more SR games.

Edit: And yes I am aware that Elo (skill level) is still a factor, but I would still be getting worse players for a period of time.

MephyRunsAllDay

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulas View Post
Ok it has been said that it only counts wins for the specific queue, does this refer only to the different maps or also down to Normal/Draft/Ranked?

My concern is that I have ~ 1000 wins on SR, but very few wins in ranked (50-80 maybe counting all seasons) as i have mostly avoided playing ranked, and that this could actually result in me being paired with worse players in ranked because we have the same number of ranked wins despite me having played hundreds and hundreds of more SR games.

Edit: And yes I am aware that Elo (skill level) is still a factor, but I would still be getting worse players for a period of time.
different queues, different numbers. always.

WatchY0urB4ck

01-22-2013

I think we should also include the amount of reports into the matchmaking. So people who troll should get together with people who trolled, so they get the feeling how it is.

This will lead us to:
- People who play seriously, will matched together with people who play decent.
- Spammers, Leavers, Trolls and Ignore-All people will get together until they stop.

Ryios

01-22-2013

I think this system works decently, but when you have no or little ranked elo and 300 wins and you duo que with a ranked player with 1300+ elo with 790 wins, the resulting matchup is painful!

How are duo que wins calculated?

I think it should average them or something. So I have 296, and my good friend has 700+, it should do something like (700 + 296) / 2 and pair us with people around 500.

random543210

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

This is an interesting feature I just fail to understand how it has any relevance after say 150 games. If someone is 1500 elo at 500 games played I feel like there wouldn't be much of a performance difference for a 1500 elo player with 2,000 games played. (Ranked) Of course this is just one mans opinion.

NoobMascot

01-22-2013

well whatever you guys did, it screwed me over.

My first 2 placement matches I had basically all 3 people go a total of -20 at 20mins and managed to drag it out to 40mins...
3rd game, I got 2 people go 0-6-0 each at 10mins... (top/mid lane).
I only won my 3rd game (2man team)... testing my luck with the 4th one now

Remscar

01-22-2013

My ELO has done nothing but fall down since these changes have come into effect. Thanks Riot

Jax OP QQ more

01-22-2013

I have had terrible matchmaking recently. Most notably, people who feed and do weird things.