Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nicodemous

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskintilki View Post
I went ahead and looked at your lolking history, and It seems you only have a 1-1 record as of this posting.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because you seem to be under the impression that pick order>call order. This is generally true for Ranked games, however, based on both your posts and history you don't seem to play very many of those.

So let me get this straight, you are complaining because someone called mid before you, and you decided to be all high and mighty because you were picking before them? Sorry to break it to you, but that makes YOU the troll. You may have had a valid point if it were ranked.

TLDR:

Stop complaining someone picked what they called as a role before you in normal games, just because you were above them in pick order. That's just Inane......
well 20 total ranked games if you count season two...

Nicodemous

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Keep it constructive.

I've taken a look at your account, and I'm not sure you're affected by the Number of Wins feature much. Even before the change, you reported an extreme number of players in your games and you are reporting the same ratio of players post-change. You also receive a large number of reports for passive-aggressive behaviors.

It might be a coincidence you feel you are getting worse teammates. For Normal SR Blind Pick for example you have similar Number of Wins and Skill Rating (Elo) as a large majority of players, so the Number of Wins feature doesn't impact you much.
Now that we got you here, is there anything to the snowbally problem some of us have brought up, or is it in our heads from what you can tell???

Apollinarius

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCode View Post
@Lyte
@RiotKiddington
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post33761932

and see image related.

Can you please revert the changes? this is the new breed of players I'm being paired with, I havent seen this kind of demeanor in a very long time and I certainly do not want to see it, the player quality as a whole (skill, demeanor) is abysmal now.
While he's a troll, you're being pretty horrible too.

If I was one of the other people on your team, I would have reported you both.

If a player calls something, even if he is last pick, and you take what he called without considering other options, you're hurting your team. It's hard enough to get people to call roles they are good at rather than just pick in silence. He called a lane and you basically told him he's worthless. His reaction is inappropriate, but your behavior is bad too.

Apollinarius

01-22-2013

Quote:
Keep it constructive.

I've taken a look at your account, and I'm not sure you're affected by the Number of Wins feature much. Even before the change, you reported an extreme number of players in your games and you are reporting the same ratio of players post-change. You also receive a large number of reports for passive-aggressive behaviors.

It might be a coincidence you feel you are getting worse teammates. For Normal SR Blind Pick for example you have similar Number of Wins and Skill Rating (Elo) as a large majority of players, so the Number of Wins feature doesn't impact you much.
Now that I notice that the Summoner I responded to and the one Lyte called out are the same, I feel vindicated

DCode

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Quote:
Keep it constructive.
I've got carried away, my bad.
Alright since you took the time to reply, i'll take the time to carefully reply too, forgive me Lyte if I do one of those gigantic, oh-I-so-wont-reply-to-this multiquote posts, but I want to be thorough, just as thorough as I've been with my complaints.

Your post essentially doubts the legitimacy of my complaints by focusing on 2 arguments, them being:
-You report just as much as before, thus it appears as nothing changed
-You appear to belong to a very average win/elo band, thus it appears nothing changed and MM is giving you appropriate teammates

And you conclude with saying that it might be a coincidence, lets go trough it:

Quote:
Even before the change, you reported an the same # number of players in your games and you are reporting the same ratio of players post-change.
I've omitted the part where I report "an extreme number of players", and that I'm receiving a "large amount of passive-agg. behaviours" reports, the former has no bearing on the argument, the latter can be simply explained by saying that the vast majority of advice given in a lost game will be treated as a passive aggressive taunt, while on a winning game there wont be any advice being given.

I can tell you this, it may be true that I did report as many people before as I do now, but in hindsight, the players I reported before didn't even deserve it compared to the ones I report now, my bar was set "too high" because I didnt see how low people can actually get.

Quote:
t might be a coincidence you feel you are getting worse teammates. For Normal SR Blind Pick for example you have similar Number of Wins and Skill Rating (Elo) as a large majority of players, so the Number of Wins feature doesn't impact you much.
Alright lets go over this part, "worse teammates" is too vague, too broad. Its not the level of skill that bothers me (altough I admit it dropped significantly, but again, that doesnt bother me too much), what really changed is their demeanor, it was so abysmal that I went trough the hassle of taking screenshots to post on the forums and only after I came to notice matchmaking had been tampered with.

Again, before the changes, the behaviour in those screenshots was something really far and inbetween for me. Now every other champ select lobby is the same canvas where the only colors to be found are snide and petty, with a few dabs of tragic and hopeless.

Ok maybe I'm being too vivid here, but I'd like to have the teammates I had before, that said little to no words in champ select, went by pick order, and didnt threat to feed, report or troll if you didn't let them have the role they demanded to have.

I don't think its a coincidence thats all, but sure it could be.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-22-2013
37 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemous View Post
Now that we got you here, is there anything to the snowbally problem some of us have brought up, or is it in our heads from what you can tell???
I'm crunching the data these days and finding some interesting things. I think for the sake of transparency, I'm just going to reveal the numbers I'm seeing.

One, the average game has a much closer win differential than before, so we know the feature is at least doing what it's supposed to. For example, we're seeing ~5% more games in Normal SR where teams only have a 0-49 number of wins difference between teams. In Ranked SR we're seeing ~30% more games with only a 0-49 number of wins difference between teams.

Two, we're seeing that the average game has a similar Elo differential than before, but I think this data point is misleading and we need to deep dive this a bit more. For example, we're seeing lower numbers of games with 20-30 Elo differences between teams which is an unintended effect.

Three, if we define a lopsided game as games with a huge KDA differential or something like 10,000 gold difference, we're not seeing more or less of these games post-patch. It might just be that players who are getting the lopsided matches come and post about it, and the players who are getting fair matches don't.

Taking all three points into account, we believe the Number of Wins feature is a net positive and don't believe it's creating more lopsided games than before. However, we have a few improvements we want to make to the feature--we will most likely increase the weighting for skill rating (Elo) so that skill rating is always much higher priority than number of wins. This will fix Issue #2 I pointed out above, while retaining some of the benefits of adding Number of Wins to the matchmaker.

The Black Kníght

01-22-2013

You know what you should do, at least in ranked? more requirements! require x number of runes page, more wins at normal games (because you cant go ranked with just 100 won games) and more champions yes, more champions.....

downvote me please, but hey I learnt the lesson in season 2 when I tried to go ranked with 1 rune page and few champions thinking to only go mid. You cant do that if you are trying to win.

Lost Concept

01-22-2013

That's very good for normal games. Considering that I have over 1450 wins in normal games, and I end up matched up with people who only have like 200 wins.

Talith PA

01-22-2013

There is something I would like to see addressed. It's about the IP rewards for the less populated queues.

Dominion in particular has lower IP rewards considering the shorter length of the games in general, but it doesn't take into account just how long queue times are. It doesn't affect me now that I own all the champions but when I was grinding IP for them it was abysmal to wait for an hour ~ hour and a half long queue (for blind) only to sometimes get into an 8 minute stomp. There are still a lot of players that will sit patiently in queue for 20-30 minutes for a game that might not even last that long, but they will still get the lower IP reward for having played dominion.

Can something be done about this? It's hard enough getting a game of dominion - If you don't own all the champions you are interested in then it is even more painful seeing as you could be earning much more IP playing summoners rift or coop vs AI.

G0atsebusters

01-22-2013

nvm