Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Icarus Penna

01-18-2013

So I've played more than 3k games, MM gonna be long for me I guess

Morello Nerf Bat

01-18-2013

RIP Elo hell. You will remembered for having an 18-win Skarner lane against a 863-win Mordekaiser in season 2. That is all.

BrainiacOutcast

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We'll be taking a look at Dominion during these tests. If it turns out that the queue time increases are not worth the benefit, we can turn it off in Dominion.
Number of wins affecting player skill level probably has a much greater effect on dominion than it does on classic. If anything, if possible, reduce the amount of effort the matchmaker puts into matching players with similar win-rates. Grouping players with other players of similar win amounts is too important.

Jewels Winfield

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
win loss ration is what elo is...
That's a bit too simplified...

ELO is the value tied to an individual that ranks his chance of winning a game, relative to any other player.

This is derived from win/loss ratio, but each win/loss is given a different value based on the relative percentage chance the enemy had of beating you before the game started.

So...

it's really a "weighted win/loss ratio"

UrsaMinor

01-18-2013

It's not good for people like me with over 2k wins.

Roccano

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccano View Post
OMG THANK YOU!!!

I have been waiting for something like this for the longest time.
I started ranked recently, and before those changes, I was getting matched with people who were just hitting level 30 and had only single rune pages. With this change, I can possibly be getting matched with people that have multiple pages for multiple champions.
Riot, thank you so much for this.
Why the downvotes for this?

Raistyn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Yes, the main reason we are testing this feature is because of data suggesting that Number of Wins makes a meaningful difference especially when it's players with lower number of wins. For example, a player with 10 wins versus a player with 100 wins is a meaningful difference; however, a player with 1000 wins versus a player with 5000 wins isn't that different.
This might not be a major concern but my profile no longer accurately tracks my normal wins. I'm in the high 600's close to 700 (recorded at the end screen of my matches) but my profile only says something like 514. Will this negatively effect me?

edit: the difference for me though, is when i was at 500 games i was only positive maybe 20 games. now im positive closer to 70-80. not sure if it matters

FranKK456

01-18-2013

Nice job,
i need the code to study it.
Thanks

Jewels Winfield

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccano View Post
Why the downvotes for this?
Because people are dicks. Think you were "noobish" for saying something about rune pages. They are so l33t, there is no concern like that for them.

GD being GD man.

Happy to hear you won't get stuck with one-page-wonders.

Deeseamon

01-18-2013

You have no idea how happy this makes me. I only have about 40 wins in normals (because I play mostly bot games) and as soon as I hit level 30 I was paired with and against people who have 300-1000 wins. I went from having a 70% win rate as ADC pre-level 30 to a 20% win rate and just hoping my team could carry me. It made playing normals not fun at all. I'm happy that this will bring my skill level back to where it is supposed to be and hopefully I can at least 50% now.