Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kupkup

01-18-2013

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ys+ignored+507 stop ignoring this

It should at least be considered and discussed by your staff. The whole idea may not be doable but there is alot in there that should be talked about.

illtre

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In the latest game update, we rolled out a second beta test of a new matchmaking change that is live in all territories. This change will increase your average queue time by about 30 seconds, but we hope the benefits are worthwhile.

--

The matchmaker will now take into account the Number of Wins a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

This means that for the first few minutes, the matchmaker will attempt to find teammates and opponents that have a relatively similar Number of Wins as you in addition to trying to find teammates and opponents that also have a similar skill rating. However, this does not mean it's impossible to get matched into a game with a large difference in Number of Wins--it's just more rare.

We need your help! Please give us feedback on the changes.

PS - RiotKiddington was the dev that did most of the work.
honestly iv been trying to say this for the longest time ever. In ranked around when i waas 1200 ELO, i would ALWAYS get matched with people who had 1-15 wins, while i was sitting at well over 120. Meanwhile the other team would have more people with a higher number of wins. More often then not, it was the other team that SNOWBALLED so hard, games were often unwinable. I just dont understand why you guys didnt do this sooner, why now?

Roccano

01-18-2013

OMG THANK YOU!!!

I have been waiting for something like this for the longest time.
I started ranked recently, and before those changes, I was getting matched with people who were just hitting level 30 and had only single rune pages. With this change, I can possibly be getting matched with people that have multiple pages for multiple champions.
Riot, thank you so much for this.

Strikersgun

01-18-2013

oh dear god this explains alot, im 2 games from 200 wins over losses and was wondering why everyone is a gold player when my highest is 1200 elo.

Fat of the Land

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

I don't understand the value of this. Doesn't it essentially create two different tiers? A low-win player could have the same rating as a high-win player, but the high-win player would have earned it against more experienced opponents. Shouldn't everyone have to earn their rating equally?

Also, won't this make it much easier to gain ELO on smurf accounts?

Hepolite

01-18-2013

so no more, "I just hit level 30, and I want to play ranked games with no champs and no runes" people? OMFG THANK YOU!

Blaster

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragonMaster View Post
Why not use the win/loss ratio?
win loss ration is what elo is...

Ipushbuttansnow

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepolite View Post
so no more, "I just hit level 30, and I want to play ranked games with no champs and no runes" people? OMFG THANK YOU!
+1 THIS

The 900-1200 ELO range should be much improved now I would think

Jamvert

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat of the Land View Post
I don't understand the value of this. If it's designed to make it easier for low-win players and more challenging for high-win players, then isn't that essentially creating two ranked tiers? With this system a low-win player could have the same rating as a high-win player, but the high-win player would have earned it against more experienced opponents. Shouldn't everyone have to earn their rating equally?

Also, won't this make it much easier to gain ELO on a smurf account?
Yeah, it does seem like this new system would strongly favor smurfs.

50West

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragonMaster View Post
Why not use the win/loss ratio?
Exactly. To a point (# of games played), a ratio is going to be much more valuable than simply the # of wins I have. If I duo queue often and get carried to 200 wins it doesn't mean I'm good or have a chance against people that actually earned 200 wins.