Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Funkel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2013

lyte,

I haven't seen this question yet, but lets say i'm 1250 elo and all my team mates are within 50 elo of me and all within 50 wins of me. This is probably very rare that everything is so perfectly even...

Now what about the other team? does the matchmaker take my win amount into consideration when forming the other team or still just elo.

Hepolite

01-20-2013

@ Riot,

Revert the changes back to old way. I'm getting the worst people known to man in my games now. It's not even funny how bad these people are. I've got a 50/50 win/loss rato. W: 132 L: 132 It was hard enough to keep an even or positive score before this change with all the intentional feeders and afkers. Now, I'm just straight up getting unskilled, unintelligent players ON TOP of the intentional feeders and afkers. I've been getting in games where supports never ward, the support is the sole tank on the team, people do not counter pick the other team - they counter pick themselves.

I just had to dodge a game because with over 260+ games played, I got paired with a teammate that was not only new to ranked, but new to the game. Seriously, how do I get paired with a player that does not have more than 30 ranked games played and doesn't even have 1 single full rune page?

Your match making design is flawed beyond belief. Not only that, but my rate of adding people to my ignore list has jumped 10-fold. These people... it's mute or read rage spam, and smack talking in ALL CHAT all game.

I want the old system back. I rather take my chances the old way, it was a better quality of player in all aspects.

EDIT: I want to know, since I have a flat even win/loss ratio how am I being matched? Am i being matched with people closer to my wins, or my solely my losses? It definitely doesn't feel like a combination of the two, and it certainly feels more like I'm being matched on losses. I have never had so many teams with so many foul, unskilled, toxic people in my entire time playing League.

Bonefuser

01-20-2013

Why are we changing the old method anyway? Ranked you have elo or this new ladder system. Normals you had wins/skill lvl? Heard it was a hidden elo for normals(anyone confirm) So why are we doing this whole new system for what is mostly considered practice matches anyway?

But yes, add me to the negative list on this change. Till it changes back pretty sure I'm just gonna play borderlands 2 or Xcom or something.

ehlo

01-20-2013

I could go on and on quoting the sudden issue; an influx of clueless and generally bad players, obviously this 'skill' can not be determined with the method riot is trying to implement, and the old system was much closer to perfect than this current one ever will be.
It is not just readjusting players into they're correct match ups as you'd probably want;
Because if it were, all the people who do not know what to do, would be matched with other people who also do not know what to do, and they can have they're fun time never learning how to play the game, rather than ruining many peoples game experience who actually know what to do, or are learning/willing to.
ie; Tell mid player enemy are taking mid turret, mid player tells me to stop being a baby, mid turret goes down, inhib, nexus, we lose...

Um... what?

How many of these types of problems will you not comment on?
Just look at only some of these posts players have been making, like the ones below, and you will get the drift.
This is not by any means close to quoting all the people who had this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishova View Post
getting matched with full ******* now , this matchmaking sux
Quote:
Originally Posted by karate dad69 View Post
I've had for the most part a terrible, terrible time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOfTiger View Post
gonna be the 3rd day in a row i have get trolls in EVERY team, they leave, they intentionally feed, before was normal once a day but now IN EVERY GAME. Give me back my time plz havent been funny play with this kind of ppl....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin OneHorn View Post
I understand that this may just be me, and other summoners may be LOVING the new changes but hear me out.

It's not just the losing, i don't mind that. its the quality of player that i'm being lumped with now. I have a low win number because i am a casual player. I am not a BAD player and i am not a TOXIC player. however I am now being lumped with both of the aforementioned after the matchmaking changes have taken place.

If I am in the minority here, and riot can not do anything to help me then I just wont solo q anymore. because I dont think my brain can handle the perpetual disintegration that comes with having to deal with the other summoners in my "win bracket"

I guess the other reason that this heavily affects me is because i mainly solo q. and unlike a lot of people i have never had tremendous issues with it. I do now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley9119 View Post
Been losing so many games. Quality of players and such has gone down. Please revert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akali Chuuu View Post
Quality of players dropped significantly. Supports don't ward, more trolls,leavers etc. The games won taken into account is working? Have people with 100 wins on my team while the enemy team have 2+ 1000+ wins? Working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkhatz View Post
Since the update, I've had trollgame, after troll game, after trolll game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightEntite View Post
I cannot tell whether or not this change has anything to do with it

but for like, the last 3 days i've been on the most ridiculous losing spree. Game after game that starts with someone on the team calling someone else a noob within 3 minutes, or raging the whole match.

sounds normal, maybe just a bad day. But im just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takato67 View Post
I've had terrible luck in getting matched with teammates who have the capacity to play this game correctly =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garzek View Post
Just going to point this out: the players on my team have been CONSIDERABLY worse since this update went live. I am getting MANY MORE players that have little to no experience at level 30 in ranked on my teams.

I've gone on two losing streaks back-to-back (both streaks broken by 1 win) since the matchmaking changes went live, yet my stats are better than ever. It's literally just a function of my teammates all teh sudden not knowing how to ****ing stand in a ****ing team fight and how to hit a mother****ing ADC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf00 View Post
So far this new system has been awful. Just had a game where Kat called top and after going into game duos mid and yells at our jungler for not going top. I don't mind losing when you throw or get outplayed, but this new system is making the games so pointlessly unenjoyable I'd rather spend my time, and money, elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexCarlos View Post
The imbalance of experience i found often caused a lot of problems when lower experienced players frustrated those who had played a lot more and vice versa. As someone who's played most of my games ~1200 this is often the source of a lot of problems resulting in neg attitude, verbal abuse, feeding, afk, refusing to communicate etc.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if reports took a dip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50West View Post
Personally, I have seen the competitive quality of my games go way down since the matchmaking changes. I only have about 270ish wins on SR but my W/L ratio and hidden ELO is rather good, so I typically play people much better than I am (1300+ ELO people) - which I really liked because they are difficult, competitive games and I learn much more and appreciate the challenge. With the recent changes I have been playing people around my wins and it is to the point where they don't even know what they are doing, such as not knowing what their champions abilities do, and the games are practically decided by 20 minutes. It's not a question of "will 1 person on my team not know what they're doing" but now "how many". It's extremely frustrating and makes games a lot less fun for me. As a result, I'm sure I've been reported more lately than I have before.

I want competitive games; not being reliant and hopeful that I got the team that knows what they're doing and we will snowball the game by the 20 minute mark. This new system is the reason why a W/L ratio is a better indication of skill than purely # of wins. # of wins doesn't tell you anything, in terms of competition and skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepolite View Post
@ Riot,

Revert the changes back to old way. I'm getting the worst people known to man in my games now. It's not even funny how bad these people are. I've got a 50/50 win/loss rato. W: 132 L: 132 It was hard enough to keep an even or positive score before this change with all the intentional feeders and afkers. Now, I'm just straight up getting unskilled, unintelligent players ON TOP of the intentional feeders and afkers. I've been getting in games where supports never ward, the support is the sole tank on the team, people do not counter pick the other team - they counter pick themselves.

I just had to dodge a game because with over 260+ games played, I got paired with a teammate that was not only new to ranked, but new to the game. Seriously, how do I get paired with a player that does not have more than 30 ranked games played and doesn't even have 1 single full rune page?

Your match making design is flawed beyond belief. Not only that, but my rate of adding people to my ignore list has jumped 10-fold. These people... it's mute or read rage spam, and smack talking in ALL CHAT all game.

I want the old system back. I rather take my chances the old way, it was a better quality of player in all aspects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaksaux View Post
Its not like I hadn't been on a short losing streak before, but the whole environment and types of people I am playing with have changed, not just a "score"/skill level.
Even if I were on a losing streak previously,
I still had fun, and talked to the team, and enjoyed my time, and they knew what to do to TRY to win.

It is not the same.
EDIT:Maybe I am being match to people in my "score/skill level" but they do not actually know or use any information or strategy that is going to help them progress at all, and yet I do.
How can we really be the same "Skill" level if they do not know of anything of what me or any half decent player in the team (once and awhile) is talking about?

And ignoring the problem isn't the best thing to do.
Kthx

Fluffy Dumplings

01-20-2013

Well. I've had the worse 2-3 days of my league life. I'm being matched up with horrible teams. My win to lose ratio on my match history is now opposite. I was usually ~7wins and 3 loses. Now i'm around 7 loses and 3 wins. Bad luck? Maybe. But then I look at my lol replay and see how many wins/loses everybody has. On average (okay, more like on every single game I checked) my team has had waaaaaaaaaay~ less wins above their loses then the enemy team. I know that the win to lose ratio is not your elo. But there's no way that 100-200 wins more bares no meaning to somebodies elo. I've also seen people with ~150 wins and 150 loses on my team. The next closest on the enemy team is ~300 wins and ~250 loses. So not only does he have double the games played of a new player, he also won more often.

Have also had a increase in troll picks. Like ziggs pantheon bottom. Lee sin support whom proceeds to roam instead. (lv 6 while everybody else is lv 12). Who ofc then blames it on me for being a bad jungler.

I honestly would rather wait 30 minutes for a match then play with the people i've been getting. Don't get me wrong, I didn't get a good team all the time before, but the difference is huge. I've seen a vayne knock back so many people lately that it's pathetic. That's something i haven't seen happen multiple times in a game in so very long.
tldr;
Queue is broken, not enjoyable to play anymore, quitting league until this is fixed or until the new ranked comes out where I will proceed to play without this queue system. It's really that bad for me atm.

CrazedPorcupine

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I think a lot of players missed the part where skill rating is still used in the matchmaker and is prioritized.

Also, after any change to the matchmaker... a % of players are going to go on losing streaks. A % of players are going to go on winning streaks. We have to collect more aggregate data to be sure how matchmaking is affecting games for the average player.

Even if we did nothing to the matchmaker, some players would be saying it broke from the patch because they went on a 5-game losing streak--but with a massive playerbase and a system like matchmaking, some players are bound to see events like this just due to statistical probabilities.
Here's the thing Lyte, I experienced the same thing and its not the skill of the players that is making me angry, its the fact that I'm getting stuck with trolls and utter ******* who do nothing but swear and complain and refuse to cooperate. It's aggrivating and is making games far less enjoyable. Before this patch I got games where everyone was very good, I got constantly matched up with gold and silver players, (Now its only the occaisional silver or bronze) and everyone was for the most part polite and kind and very fun to play with. Out of EVERY game I've played since the change, I've only had 2 games where I was actually happy at the end. Every other game whether win or lose was just aggrivating and not fun AT ALL. I was always angry and it just kept getting worse and worse.

The Other thing lyte about adding ALL wins together means that I'm effectively getting matched with WORSE players since I don't have very many RANKED wins. (only 5 out of 10 games TOTAL). Whereas before, I was getting matched up with people of equal skill level who had maybe 500+ ranked wins. Now I'm lucky if I get matched up with people of even remotely close skill levels.

Bergtau

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2013

I think there should be an upper limit for games played in this formulation. Like, the difference between somebody who has 1000 wins and somebody who has 2000 wins is far less significant than the difference between somebody who has 100 wins and somebody who has 200 wins.

Void2258

01-20-2013

I've been having a much much much worse time since this went online. I keep carrying my lane by MASSIVE margins (4/0 + to 0/4+ with higher CS) only to have EVERY OTHER LANE IN THE GAME FEED MASSIVELY. I'm not talking "losing" the lane either. I am talking about 0/9+ laners. I come out of laning way ahead of my lane opponent, usually with only 0 or 1 death and 20-40CS lead, and it doesn't matter, because I can't do anything against 3-4 other people who are fed, combined with the horrible teamplay. I finish almost every game negative, all of those deaths from the horrible uneven teamfights involving the massively fed players.

I am seeing horrible behavior. ADC initiating, tower diving galore, 1v5 initiates, APC vs tank intentional assaults, chasing, people throwing almost dead character out of fights or pulling full health bruisers or stunners into the middle of teams. I am also seeing massive trolling (leavers, "Ha ha **** it it doesn't matter race you to the enemy nexus", "**** you guys you all suck I just farm from now on" (from the guy with the highest deaths)).

Out of the 15+ games I have played this weekend, I have had 4 where this didn't happen. That is a MUCH worse ratio than before this system was implemented.

Droogslayer

01-20-2013

So, say I have 1,000 wins and 10,000 losses. Does this mean I will get paired with someone that has 1,000 wins and 0 losses?

CommandShockwave

01-20-2013

Lyte, I have noticed in my last 3 ranked games, none of my teammates/enemies have had over 200 normal wins. Well, I have 1200 something, but I've just started doing ranked this season so I've now totaled 8 matches, which is deemed an "accurate" match.

This is essentially someone who's been playing for 2.5+ years, being matched with those playing for maybe 3+ months.

It doesn't really feel fair at all. Thanks for the elo though :P