Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

inQuest

01-20-2013

I've 1200 ELO, 800 wins. Since there was a change, I've had games with lower level players (<30) and players with less than 300 wins and 1100-800 ELO. Before the change, I've had games with people 1300-1200 ELO and 1500 - 500 wins.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-20-2013

Quote:
xXCrazyBarksXx:
I just played a game and I looked at everyone's wins because lately I realized that games haven't been so equal.
My team's average had 100 more wins then theirs and I had the most wins in the entire match, almost 100 more.
I got a picture below of all the wins each person had.
I wouldn't really call this fair for the other team.

and can anyone explain why the picture is darker then the game's?

How long were you in queue? The feature doesn't make it impossible to match against teams with big win differences, it just makes it rarer. If you sit in queue for over a minute, the matchmaker just starts widening every parameter.

Lyte

01-20-2013

Quote:
D3mon Guillot1ne:
I am sorry, but this system is not working, I keep getting people that are at least 100 or 200 elo lower than my current ones. Revert plse, more games does not show how much skill you have

The matchmaker still takes skill ratings into account, so what you are seeing might not have to do with the Number of Wins feature.

Stokyo

01-20-2013

I feel the old system was better. The quality of games since this hot fix has significantly dropped. Granted I usually play normals, but it just seems like such a mess now with one person not knowing what the hell he's doing. My normal elo was relatively high because I was being matched with Gold and platinum tier players constantly in normals and since the update its back to being matched with Silver or unranked players. The old system was fine. Maybe this system should just be implemented to pre-30 matchmaking and let the hidden ELO system sort things out. This system feels counter productive because win % is a much better indication of skill than number of wins

IS149080d6605e20d28653a

01-20-2013

Lyte, im on EU NE and amount of wins in my matchaps seem to be about as random as it used to be.
Even teams arent eaven not to mention individual players.

Riley9119

01-20-2013

Been losing so many games. Quality of players and such has gone down. Please revert

Lyte

01-20-2013

Quote:
Stokyo:
I feel the old system was better. The quality of games since this hot fix has significantly dropped. Granted I usually play normals, but it just seems like such a mess now with one person not knowing what the hell he's doing. My normal elo was relatively high because I was being matched with Gold and platinum tier players constantly in normals and since the update its back to being matched with Silver or unranked players. The old system was fine. Maybe this system should just be implemented to pre-30 matchmaking and let the hidden ELO system sort things out. This system feels counter productive because win % is a much better indication of skill than number of wins

I think a lot of players missed the part where skill rating is still used in the matchmaker and is prioritized.

Also, after any change to the matchmaker... a % of players are going to go on losing streaks. A % of players are going to go on winning streaks. We have to collect more aggregate data to be sure how matchmaking is affecting games for the average player.

Even if we did nothing to the matchmaker, some players would be saying it broke from the patch because they went on a 5-game losing streak--but with a massive playerbase and a system like matchmaking, some players are bound to see events like this just due to statistical probabilities.

Nicksiren

Recruiter

01-20-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
It does take into account only the number of wins in the specific queue you are playing in.

Thanks for the clarification Lyte. The wording of the original post is very misleading so I was under the impression the opposite was happening. However, is Twisted Treeline still being amalgamated with Summoner's Rift for "classic" wins, or are they separated?

Quote:
Lyte:
The matchmaker will now take into account the Number of Wins a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

Can be taken both ways.

tehdef

01-20-2013

I want LFG. I want to pick the Role I want to play, then be locked to champs that fill those roles, so I don't have to worry about some **** screwing with other players, etc. It would be an optional queue, ranked only, etc. That way when people login they don't go MID or TOP when they are 4th pick. I could care less about matching wins in random queues. Want role matching.

AGCrew Bloodwolf

01-20-2013

Hi Lyte.

What I have experienced in the few games I've played (along with another friend who has about the same # of wins like mine in normal (~2800ish) is that both in the enemy team as well as in mine there were very VERY naive or unexperienced players. Heck, I single handedly got fed top by the enemy jungle and top wanting to kill me and just roaming....

I used to get much more difficult normal matches before the patch... I havent played much these past few days but I'm a bit concerned about how MM is developing...

Lyte I also wanted to know if u were able to read my thread bout the Baron Nashor icon ^_^
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3005202