Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dreamspitter

Recruiter

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenth View Post
So when I play I usually have 3 friends, so there's 4 of us. & lately queue time's have been ~5 mins and we end up getting a person with half the wins we have and are not very good at the game at all. By not good I mean running into the enemy team to die over and over and not understanding what they're doing wrong.

Is this intentional? Were we paired with a not so good guy to try & carry him because we're a 4 premade & they expect us to do better?

Seems unfair to me, we should be paired with an equal player of our skill, not one that hardly knows how the game works & runs straight into the enemy players. >< I think this new system should be looked at just a little more.
ACTUALLY.......ironically he stands to learn faaaaaaaaaaar more from the 4 of you, than 4 other people like him.

Pakmandu

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In the latest game update, we rolled out a second beta test of a new matchmaking change that is live in all territories. This change will increase your average queue time by about 30 seconds, but we hope the benefits are worthwhile.

--

The matchmaker will now take into account the Number of Wins a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

This means that for the first few minutes, the matchmaker will attempt to find teammates and opponents that have a relatively similar Number of Wins as you in addition to trying to find teammates and opponents that also have a similar skill rating. However, this does not mean it's impossible to get matched into a game with a large difference in Number of Wins--it's just more rare.

We need your help! Please give us feedback on the changes.

PS - RiotKiddington was the dev that did most of the work.
im allways seted up whit the worst players in the league xD well not allways, but the 90% of the time, and when my team is good, the enemy is better... im sad

Dreamspitter

Recruiter

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakmandu View Post
im allways seted up whit the worst players in the league xD well not allways, but the 90% of the time, and when my team is good, the enemy is better... im sad

I'm gonna say to ya what I say to Ammumu.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-19-2013
24 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexCarlos View Post
Hey Lyte are you going to be looking at the number and quality of reports too?

The imbalance of experience i found often caused a lot of problems when lower experienced players frustrated those who had played a lot more and vice versa. As someone who's played most of my games ~1200 this is often the source of a lot of problems resulting in neg attitude, verbal abuse, feeding, afk, refusing to communicate etc.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if reports took a dip.
We'll be closely monitoring a huge number of metrics to make the call on whether the feature is beneficial or a net negative.

This includes queue times, 'fairness' of matches, and Reports/Honor/AFKs/Leavers.

ehlo

01-19-2013

Quote:
We'll be closely monitoring a huge number of metrics to make the call on whether the feature is beneficial or a net negative.

This includes queue times, 'fairness' of matches, and Reports/Honor/AFKs/Leavers.

How can you tell if reports are real, or fake
ie; premades in normal blind, threatening to report if you don't do everything they request during the match, which results in you getting reported anyway, losing AND having a negative experience with players bullying/trolling.
or, playing your role best you can, but team still feeds, trolls, lose, and rages and then in the end reports or threatens too, for they're own negative behavior, but there is more of them then there is me in a premade team I am not a part of.
It's like a 3 v 1 report style.

IS149080d6605e20d28653a

01-20-2013

Quote:
Currently, we simply search for team compositions that average a similar number of wins to face you.
I was so happy hearing about this feature and the fact you finaly realized 20 win 1200 el odude isnt same as 1500 wins 1200 elo.

But this "AVERAGE" just screwed things up.
This means that team the system considers teams of 1000wins+1win+1win+1win+1win
and team with 200 wins each memer as equal, which is not true. its excactly the situation its suposed to avoid.

You see, uneaven matchups arent created by 1 team being significantly weaker, but by 2 certain individual players that stands out in lever of experience from their teams, and are placed against eachother.The players where one is least experienced in game, that is playing lane against someone who is the most experienced.
Averages of teams might be equal but if someone with 1 win is laning against 500 wins oponent THAT is the disparity you'd want to avoid.

Would it not be better if you let each individual player manualy set how long he is willing to wait to get equaly experienced matchup?
For instance i'd be willing to wait even 5 minutes longer if that allowed me to avoid first timers and smurfs at 1200 elo. and there are also those who dont want to wait even 30 seconds longer and they dont care about wins amount.Why not let each player set this manualy?

Antholagnia

01-20-2013

this is good news. I was at a normal Elo that I belong at until December. I just kept losing almost every game, and now I can't win enough games to get back. People have been doing really weird stuff like intentionally engaging 3v5 fights. I'm getting frustrated. Maybe this change will help me to get back where I belong.

IS149080d6605e20d28653a

01-20-2013

Wow, i just had example why Average amount of win for team is completely not slving issue of matching players with different experience.

I had a game where i had 150 wins, one of my teamamtes had ~20 , 1 oposing player had 170 and all others had 1-5 wins.
Needless to say i got completely out of control, and i happened to had a pick that was stopping that 170 win dude completely.

You need to make sure that it matches players with equal experience, not net team experience.

Cynicatt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2013

Mmm. Thank you. For the past month or so I've been getting teamed up with people that are completely clueless as to how to play this game/are trolling etc, and I only see these people on my team, causing huge loss-streaks. It may sound a little arrogant, but I know I don't deserve to be matched with these people, and it's making the game miserable for me. Maybe this will help a little...

Koala Frenzy

01-20-2013

Still being instamatched with provisionals. Pretty sure this project is a placebo.