Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ehlo

01-19-2013

Why would someone even downvote me for telling the truth?
Especially when it's the EXACT and/or very very close experiences as the person posting below my previous post;
"I don't mind losing when you throw or get outplayed, but this new system is making the games so pointlessly unenjoyable I'd rather spend my time, and money, elsewhere."
and they received 3 upvotes.
Obviously what I am saying is an issue
Bad players have been carried by teams for too long, and now 1-2 decent players per team, as the rest of the team is usually 90% of the time toxic behavior, feeding and simply unfriendly now.
Resulting in dragging anyone even half decent down, regardless of your level of play you can't come back from the amount of 'I dont even know what to call it' that I have suddenly been seeing...
Halp.
Honestly I'd just like to not be ignored and actually helped with a major issue.

SirLanik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
This is the kind of feature that may not actually improve the matchmaker for other games, but in League of Legends where players can build out their collection of runes and champions... it just might work.
Thank you so much for this. When I had ~90 wins when I hit level 30, I was playing against people with 2700 wins.

Now in many cases I might give them a run for their money, but honestly that many more games? They just know more match ups.

Willow777

01-19-2013

This explains a few things, good job.

CrazedPorcupine

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaksaux View Post
Why would someone even downvote me for telling the truth?
Especially when it's the EXACT and/or very very close experiences as the person posting below my previous post;
"I don't mind losing when you throw or get outplayed, but this new system is making the games so pointlessly unenjoyable I'd rather spend my time, and money, elsewhere."
and they received 3 upvotes.
Obviously what I am saying is an issue
Bad players have been carried by teams for too long, and now 1-2 decent players per team, as the rest of the team is usually 90% of the time toxic behavior, feeding and simply unfriendly now.
Resulting in dragging anyone even half decent down, regardless of your level of play you can't come back from the amount of 'I dont even know what to call it' that I have suddenly been seeing...
Halp.
Honestly I'd just like to not be ignored and actually helped with a major issue.
This is what's happening to me as well, I won with brand, but the enemy Yi and Fizz were just absolute horrible people.

Tazzz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillmaster19 View Post
These 15-20 minute Dominion queues are no fun

It might work in more popular queues like summoners rift, but it needs to be dynamically adjusted based on queue popularity at the time, so that there aren't super long queues at off times, or in unpopular queues like dominion draft.

I don't mind waiting slightly longer for a SR game to get a much more evenly matched game, but when the queues get excessive it really isn't worth it IMO.

also, this seems a bit risky to put into ranked. If you're in a way seperating new ranked players and experienced ones, depending on how strict the win based matchmaking is it may be frustrating. New players will have easier matchups, and possibly even fly up hundreds of elo since they are against other new ones. Then when they have a lot of wins and match up with more experienced players, they will drop and do poorly because they got a high rating due to easy opponents.
This might potentially mess up the accuracy of elo rating, as it would be much easier to reach say 1500 on a new smurf, than on an account with 200+ ranked wins.

Quoting response for convinience, good to hear.

As a programmer I have to say it wouldn't be too difficult to adjust how strict the win based matchmaking is based on the current popularity of the queue automatically. Every 30 minutes or so check how many players at each win level queued, then based on those results adjust how close the system attempts to matchmake them. If it's at a super low level(like dominion draft), just disable it completely.
dominion sucks

In Brightest Day

01-19-2013

Is there any plan to make ranked elo factor into normal games matchmaking?

It's getting a bit tiresome for me and my friends to go up against a team of plats just because they haven't touched normals for the longest time so their normal elo decayed down quite a bit, lol.

Raptoreyes

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
There will initially be a bit of flux as the matchmaker sorts out Number of Wins among players for the first time; however, you should see better matches especially if you transition between queues a lot.
I like your idea Lyte BUT lets try to beef up the match making in a more targeted way. It should be number of wins per champion instead of number of total wins. For instance I have over 1000 total wins and perhaps 300 wins are with Morgana and only 2 wins are with Teemo. I should be placed on my Teemo as a NEW player and placed on Morgana as a veterian. The number of wins showing after the game should be for my Teemo or my Morgana it should not show my total wins as that number is sort of irrelivant to my skill with any paticular champion.

TLDR Matching by number of wins should be based on number of wins with the champion you CHOOSE to play not on total number of wins which is a much less acturate predictor of skill since you can only play one champ at a time. (duo or more boxers with macros excluded)

Dreamspitter

Recruiter

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimofeyMozgov View Post
Took long enough. It's annoying being at 1300-1400 ELO and then queuing with players with 100 normal wins without a single full tier 3 rune page. Riot should raise the requirements to play in ranked. 500 normal wins minimum and at least 5 full rune pages and at least 30 champs.
That's ridiculous.

Dreamspitter

Recruiter

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crs toastWaffle View Post
Absurd. ive seen people play at high silver level [~1450] after ~300 normal wins, and 5 rune pages? get out of here. i have 14 but i was 1500 when i only had 3
This.

Quote:
I saw someone fight off an armed robber one time and survived. LET'S GET RID OF COPS!
It just gets crazier and zanier.

Quote:
Play normals. Get IP. Buy rune pages.

For the love of Demacia, dont do that.

Buying pages for IP is the biggest waste of IP there is.

Ashenth

01-19-2013

So when I play I usually have 3 friends, so there's 4 of us. & lately queue time's have been ~5 mins and we end up getting a person with half the wins we have and are not very good at the game at all. By not good I mean running into the enemy team to die over and over and not understanding what they're doing wrong.

Is this intentional? Were we paired with a not so good guy to try & carry him because we're a 4 premade & they expect us to do better?

Seems unfair to me, we should be paired with an equal player of our skill, not one that hardly knows how the game works & runs straight into the enemy players. >< I think this new system should be looked at just a little more.