Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gizmo Era

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50West View Post
Personally, I have seen the competitive quality of my games go way down since the matchmaking changes. I only have about 270ish wins on SR but my W/L ratio and hidden ELO is rather good, so I typically play people much better than I am (1300+ ELO people) - which I really liked because they are difficult, competitive games and I learn much more and appreciate the challenge. With the recent changes I have been playing people around my wins and it is to the point where they don't even know what they are doing, such as not knowing what their champions abilities do, and the games are practically decided by 20 minutes. It's not a question of "will 1 person on my team not know what they're doing" but now "how many". It's extremely frustrating and makes games a lot less fun for me. As a result, I'm sure I've been reported more lately than I have before.

I want competitive games; not being reliant and hopeful that I got the team that knows what they're doing and we will snowball the game by the 20 minute mark. This new system is the reason why a W/L ratio is a better indication of skill than purely # of wins. # of wins doesn't tell you anything, in terms of competition and skill.
This. This so hard.

CooLTanG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

01-19-2013

I'd rather see more accurate matching tbh. I doubt this will change anything, I even recall admins saying "we don't want elo to be matched perfectly, we want games won that are supposed to be won give less elo, and games won that are supposed to be a loss give more elo".

That's a terrible concept in all respects. I'd rather wait on the proper elo matchup. I mean that way could work for higher elos so they can get games, but midrange 1300-2k shouldn't.

Dzanio

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In the latest game update, we rolled out a second beta test of a new matchmaking change that is live in all territories. This change will increase your average queue time by about 30 seconds, but we hope the benefits are worthwhile.

--

The matchmaker will now take into account the Number of Wins a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

This means that for the first few minutes, the matchmaker will attempt to find teammates and opponents that have a relatively similar Number of Wins as you in addition to trying to find teammates and opponents that also have a similar skill rating. However, this does not mean it's impossible to get matched into a game with a large difference in Number of Wins--it's just more rare.

We need your help! Please give us feedback on the changes.

PS - RiotKiddington was the dev that did most of the work.
Awesome, a step in the right direction; I look forward to seeing this progress.

DessicatedWiener

01-19-2013

I don't believe rune pages should be a parameter considering that I have 16 rune pages, but I only use about 5 or 6 of them, so to put me against stronger players simply because i have 10 more rune pages than them doesn't seem very logical

Gizmo Era

01-19-2013

Still banging my head against a wall.

Every match I play is one team destroys the other team that usually self-destructs. I'm talking 40 to 7 matches or 52 to 20

FIX

viprock2002

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Thank you very much for this change..... Right before this patch I lost 150 elo in around 2 days ; got matched with really bad players who fed their asses off and then just surrendered and yea they did that because they had like 10-20 wins only; and after this patch I gained 150 elo because the players I got matched with seemed to have more sense of the game and understood how to win the game and its objectives.

Thank you very much. I have been asking for this exact change to matchmaking for a while.

1knight4pain

01-19-2013

Bring back The old tree line please not for me but for all 3vs3 players

zarbiz

01-19-2013

Does the system take into account ranked wins from last season?

1davidj

01-19-2013

actually, smurfs will be matched with smurfs more wont they? elo quickly rises for smurfs but wins dont, so they play each other.

Hoisengerd

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDerp Solo View Post
I'd probably have gone the other direction - and matched losses
that's what your elo is
do people even think before they talk??