Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Acolyte Lee Sin

01-19-2013

I'M STILL PLAYING AGAINST 1650+ ELO PPL. (im unranked)

Naphares

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-19-2013

Yeah, this isn't even working correctly. All it did is make us wait an extra 5 minutes to even get a game. Constantly getting matched with people with nearly 500 more wins than myself.

Bin

01-19-2013

@Lyte or anyone

Don't understand why this was put into ranked games...In mid to high range elo like 1700 to 2k there is a lot of smurfs passing through with under 50 wins. Just because I dont play a lot I do not want to be matched against good players and then get the 200-300 win players on my team, who are typically the worst players from this elo as they have played many games and still reside here.

Could you shed some light on this?

Malizio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Skill rating is still the highest priority when finding opponents, so 'smurfing' up would be extremely inefficient.
Me and 3 friends with relatively high wins with a close to average win/loss (50% plus or minus a few depending on who it is) waited 5+ minutes yesterday to get matched with someone who had 300 wins and was COMPLETELY terrible, didn't communicate, and essentially threw the game for us.

He went Rumble support and fed their adc by running under the tower. Only thing he said was in the post game lobby "sorry i reported"

Cakecicle

01-19-2013

I won a ranked with a ****in gragas support, seriously? roit pls change it back

WakeskaterX

01-19-2013

People here are derps. No offense, derps.

This is calculated and tabbed AFTER normal means. So a 100 win 1000 loss player would NOT play a 100 win 10 loss player because the latter has a much higher elo and would never be matched with them.

Now instead of a 10 win 10 loss player being matched with a 1000 win 1000 loss player, it will be more like 10 win 10 loss matched with 25 win 24 loss and a 1000 win 1000 loss player matched with an 850 win 845 loss player.

That's more like how it will work.

READ! They have red post buttons for a reason.

50West

01-19-2013

Personally, I have seen the competitive quality of my games go way down since the matchmaking changes. I only have about 270ish wins on SR but my W/L ratio and hidden ELO is rather good, so I typically play people much better than I am (1300+ ELO people) - which I really liked because they are difficult, competitive games and I learn much more and appreciate the challenge. With the recent changes I have been playing people around my wins and it is to the point where they don't even know what they are doing, such as not knowing what their champions abilities do, and the games are practically decided by 20 minutes. It's not a question of "will 1 person on my team not know what they're doing" but now "how many". It's extremely frustrating and makes games a lot less fun for me. As a result, I'm sure I've been reported more lately than I have before.

I want competitive games; not being reliant and hopeful that I got the team that knows what they're doing and we will snowball the game by the 20 minute mark. This new system is the reason why a W/L ratio is a better indication of skill than purely # of wins. # of wins doesn't tell you anything, in terms of competition and skill.

WhackedRak

01-19-2013

Question.. does that 1.5 minute maximum increase reset after a queue dodge? I found my matches that dropped due to someone dodging took a lot longer to find another match.

Also for sorting smurfs, are there any checks in place that could mark them as smurfs before their very first game?(Including the trolls that say they've never played a pc game in their life)

Other intersting figures would be what % of lvl 1 accounts get marked as smurfs, and how many lvl 1 accounts play one-two matchmade game(s) and never play again.(Turnover rate)

Takras

01-19-2013

I don't know whether I'll benefit from this new feature in ranked games or not, but as I'm mostly playing normal games I don't really like this. You can really feel the increased queue time. I was very happy with the way it used to be, you could queue up and get a game instantly.
I just wanted to give you guys some feedback.

Annie Hua

01-19-2013

Still big gaps in ELO and win numbers.