Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Typhnox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

I like this change Lyte, I always thought number of wins was an important neglected factor.

Thank you for sharing the info about what you guys are doing, I appreciate it, and i'm always interested to see what you're doing, you guys do amazing experiments.

Skaarrjj

01-19-2013

Why is it done by number of wins, shouldn't it be done by number of games played if you're looking for experienced players? You get better by losing more games than winning. Losing games actually is better for you to become more experienced than winning does.

Nimthiel

01-19-2013

(I have a question for Lyte at the bottom of my post)

At first while reading through this I was scared and nervous, especially since I reluctantly just started normals myself and I was scared that I would be wrongly matched with people with higher skill than I (my best friend is forcing me, he wants me to gain experience playing real people as opposed to bots), but after reading the point you brought up about people who leveled up in co-op, I'm so incredibly happy and slightly more relaxed. I play co-op vs AI because I am terrified of the community and I am over critical of my lack of skill and experience. I spend most of my time spectating my best friend's games, so I am well educated for my level, I just become a nervous wreck and cannot apply any of my knowledge to normal games outside of bot games (I have an anxiety disorder on top of this performance anxiety, and the last time I played normal games aside from the past two nights was months ago). However, when I do play normals, my best friend goes on his smurf account to accompany me since I'm terrified and having him around makes me feel more safe, especially if someone rages on me, and he helps me work through anxious moments where I go blank so that I can play the best I can. I'm sure I'll get better with this in time, it's just hard right now.

Though I've noticed that my games have been a bit tougher these past two nights, I have been matched with smurfs. There was one specific match where 3 out of the 5 players on the opposite team admitted to being smurfs, while my team only had one (my best friend). I played decently against the smurf Eve even though I had no idea how to handle her, but it became incredibly difficult and we lost that match due to the rest of the players feeding (not really their fault though, after all they're not smurfs and are inexperienced like myself). I feel this is the case with the other games I've played as well, especially with my best friend recognizing and picking up on old playstyles and builds used ages ago. Sorry for ranting, normals are a huge deal for me since I never play them. I often feel like I can't speak of my experiences since I'm seen as less of a player for playing bot matches, even though I have as much passion for league as someone who plays normals all the time.

My question to Lyte is, just how do you pick up on smurf accounts? If there is more to matchmaking than number of wins, how does the system recognize smurfs and skill level? You said that there are things in place just to combat smurfs. I am extremely interested in what these things are and how a computer could possibly figure it out, I find it fascinating. I understand that being matched with a smurf is fair due to having one with me at all times, though I feel it's unfair when more than half the team are smurfs... But what I'm trying to say is that I have no problem with the new system. If anything I love it, it will allow me to grow as a player now! I'm just extremely curious for my own knowledge as it fascinates me.

Dex7ter

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Skill rating is still the highest priority when finding opponents, so 'smurfing' up would be extremely inefficient.

Tell my Lyte when i points some of the problems playing with new players u said that u dont see problem and now u change the system, why ??
I show few times on forum na and eu east ( still baned on eu perm ban) some games with bad mm games.
This system have 1 isue, when u start as new players u always will playing with new players, now if u got dc, afk, ragequit in the game how many games u have to play to get better players and get out of hell elo ???
Next thing when we get some vote in champion select to avoid trolls i think problem with 30 min que get out of control when u have to doge and get 30 min free time thx some trolls when they refuse to communicate.

Another thing i would like to get tolls witch system after game start will check if all players are connect if not pause game and w8 lets say 5 min if dont doge game.

Last things it will be good if i can avoid duo players in my games when i start play a solo game i wanted play solo not with duo, a lot of them are just bad and play like 1500- unranked or something like that if u want duo np but play with players who have the same skill rating as u this things make more problems to raise elo when u got duo players.

Décéptìøn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Pack View Post
can you make the queue faster?
Well Post Pack, I think faster queue times will cause more problems or tend to make the problems we are trying to weave out more worse. The point that Lyte is trying to give us here is better matchmaking queues and just afew more minutes to wait. This isa neat idea providing it will solve some issues as we all hope.

However, I do wish they would just give the players the options within the option menu or on the press of the START button, give the players a choice for better matchmaking or shorter queue times which will obviously lead to being unbalance, this will give the players a chance to make their own marks there.

Maverick Renegade

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post

Lyte and I want to know is this, the longer the queue time the better "match result" you will get, but it comes with a cost (of time). Is the current 30 seconds increase in queue time worth the benefit of matchmaking with additional consideration of # of wins?
If it truly does lead to better games*, then 30 seconds is a trade I am more than happy to make - in fact, I'm excited. We spend a lot of time in a game compared to time in queue, and I'd rather that game time be quality time. If you can develop even more ways of increasing the quality of games, then I'd be willing to accept even a 2 minute increase in queue times for a significant improvement.

*I'm defining "better games" in the context of matchmaking as: a more even experience where the results seem less random because you aren't as likely to get someone on either team with grossly higher or lower skill than the others - when that happens, it takes a lot of the agency out of players hands and makes it seem like they win or lose regardless of their performance because their teammates. This problem also builds a more hostile environment.

Ryceman

01-19-2013

My matches have been increasing worse ever since this went live. The amount of trolls and just flat out bad people has significantly increased the past 2 days. Think I'm going to stop playing ranked until this gets disabled so I can compare.

Gizmo Era

01-19-2013

Am I the only one who doesn't feel like they're being matched properly? Look at my match history... I'm being destroyed...

I literally went from winning maybe 55-70% of the time to losing 80+%

I'm playing the same champions, the same styles, everything and yet I enter a match and people are screaming how I'm trolling and I need to uninstall because I'm not playing support with support masteries(Lux with AP for example) or that I need to uninstall because I didn't buy 3 wards to start the lane. In draft normal queue if I pick anything other than maybe support, I'm getting countered easily half the time, even as AD. I play normal because I don't want the game to be heavily competitive and yet that's what I'm matching with in normals.

The other team is completely pub stomping my team because I can't compete with the people I'm queuing with, it's ruining my the fun for me and the other 4 people I'm with because I can't carry my weight. The game isn't fun anymore, I don't want to have to lose 60-100 matches to get knocked down to people "my level" again =/

As a side note, I have noticed I seem to be queuing with a lot of silver/gold ranked players, when my ranked rating was super terrible. Why am I getting ranked this way for normals? I play normal to play normal, not so I can play un-ranked ranked matches.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
There will initially be a bit of flux as the matchmaker sorts out Number of Wins among players for the first time; however, you should see better matches especially if you transition between queues a lot.
Why do I have to transition between queues to see better matches? I play Normal Draft 90% of the time... That's what I prefer...

Either way, I give this about a week to get sorted out before I stop playing this game. I'm tired of being destroyed and being unable to learn anything from the matches I'm losing. I'm tired of the player rage at my lack of their skill. I'm tired of this system =/

TT Dreadnaught

01-19-2013

Yeah but Just because a player has a large number of wins doesn't mean they are skilled. lol

ImagoDeo

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharina View Post
Great. Now a player with 100 wins and 10 losses will be matched with a player who has 100 wins and 1000 losses. Makes perfect sense.
None of the latter exist, and precious few of the former.