Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-19-2013
22 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valahiru View Post
Lyte,

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate how Riot as a whole shares information with the players.

I've been playing for about 3 years (on and off) and I have slightly over 250 wins in SR. Lately (before the patch) I've been getting stomped over and over again--to the point that I'm reluctant to queue anything other than co-op. Will this change help even out the matches I'm put in and make the game easier to enjoy?

Thanks for your work.
There will initially be a bit of flux as the matchmaker sorts out Number of Wins among players for the first time; however, you should see better matches especially if you transition between queues a lot.

Guardman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Yes, average queue time increases includes players with lots of wins. The maximum increases we should see are about 1.5 minutes.

We did have some queue issues since the latest patch, so some of the queue times you are seeing might be related to that. If you keep seeing long queues, please feel free to post a screenshot and I'll take a look at what's going on.

Let me know who you are queued with, and perhaps post a screenshot of the queue timer.
I seriously think 1.5 minutes is too long. Any queue longer then 45 seconds makes me antsy. Do you have any plans to lower queue times as I thought the queue times before of 20-25 seconds on average was long, but acceptable.

Slashiroth

01-19-2013

I hate this change because you have made smurfs happy

High skilled smurfs are going to BREEZE through divisions in the new league system because the inexperienced genuine 100 win players are going to be matched against them

Meanwhile, the games at 1000+ wins are going to be MUCH harder and take more effort to move up divisions

Why shouldn't I just make a smurf and take an easy ride through my divisions? Instead of playing other 1000+ win players and having a harder time.

Valahiru

01-19-2013

Quote:
There will initially be a bit of flux as the matchmaker sorts out Number of Wins among players for the first time; however, you should see better matches especially if you transition between queues a lot.
Thanks for the quick and helpful response! I'm excited about this change. Thanks for working on this and telling us about it.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-19-2013
23 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashiroth View Post
I hate this change because you have made smurfs happy

High skilled smurfs are going to BREEZE through divisions in the new league system because the inexperienced genuine 100 win players are going to be matched against them

Meanwhile, the games at 1000+ wins are going to be MUCH harder and take more effort to move up divisions

Why shouldn't I just make a smurf and take an easy ride through my divisions? Instead of playing other 1000+ win players and having a harder time.
Skill rating is still the highest priority when finding opponents, so 'smurfing' up would be extremely inefficient.

iDerp Solo

01-19-2013

I'd probably have gone the other direction - and matched losses - but this might work.

My reasoning is that the biggest problem with the game is the snowballing of negativity that happens in the game, generally beginning in pregame. Players start blaming each other and then have to 1-up on the blame game until the entire chat goes south.

Players don't care about who does well during a loss, they only want to know whom to blame. If everyone goes into the game knowing that they have all lost about the same number of games - then it's easier to know that the blame is shared.

In the end, it should probably be the same people matched - since ELO is a function of wins and losses - but it's about a perception of who you are matched with: you are all equally good at losing.

Saccharina

01-19-2013

Great. Now a player with 100 wins and 10 losses will be matched with a player who has 100 wins and 1000 losses. Makes perfect sense.

Snido

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDerp Solo View Post
I'd probably have gone the other direction - and matched losses - but this might work.

My reasoning is that the biggest problem with the game is the snowballing of negativity that happens in the game, generally beginning in pregame. Players start blaming each other and then have to 1-up on the blame game until the entire chat goes south.

Players don't care about who does well during a loss, they only want to know whom to blame. If everyone goes into the game knowing that they have all lost about the same number of games - then it's easier to know that the blame is shared.

In the end, it should probably be the same people matched - since ELO is a function of wins and losses - but it's about a perception of who you are matched with: you are all equally good at losing.
It's easy to know who to blame: It's always the jungler's fault.

Psybeerian

01-19-2013

Isn't matching people up with similar skill good enough? What's the point of trying to find people with similar amount of wins? Seems like an unnecessary waste of time chasing an arbitrary goal. Someone with 800W/100L and 800W/800L will have hugely different skill levels. (It can't just be for stopping the daily whine threads?)

Super Explosion

01-19-2013

Quote:
Skill rating is still the highest priority when finding opponents, so 'smurfing' up would be extremely inefficient.
Howso?

He does make a bit of a point-- according to the structuring of this system, its premise is that "there is a relevant difference in skill between players at 100 wins and players at 1000, in all considered skill ratings (elo)".

If that is actually the case, a smurf would be consistently matched with players at a lower apparent skill than the player himself may possess.

It may be useful to watch how this plays out in Ranked, and whether using such a system there is materially beneficial.