Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-19-2013

Quote:
Eclipse:
Even more of a reason to smurf?

They can try, but there's other things in place just to combat smurfs.

turulHAARP

01-19-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
The matchmaking system still prioritizes skill ratings. It's not just using Number of Wins.

Well it doesn't seem so.

Lyte

01-19-2013

Quote:
Groxxy:
Please program some slack once you get past a certain large amount of wins, because I'm close to the 2000 win mark and my ques have gone from 10 seconds to up to 5 minutes consecutively

Maybe something where you have brackets of wins that grouped together that grow once you get past a marker. Like 1000

There were some queue issues after the patch, which is probably why you saw 5 minute queues.

The feature should only increase queue times by a maximum of 1.5 minutes, and an average of 20-30s for most players.

turulHAARP

01-19-2013

Are there any logs that you guys can analyze regarding the matchmaking?

CommandShockwave

01-19-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
There were some queue issues after the patch, which is probably why you saw 5 minute queues.

The feature should only increase queue times by a maximum of 1.5 minutes, and an average of 20-30s for most players.

So that average queue time increase includes players with 2000+ wins, correct?

Actually, out of curiosity, are there any params in place for outliers of like 3500+ wins to combat excessive times for higher numbers? Like, does the matchmaker recognize the meaning behind the numbers, or just that the numbers need to match... if that makes any sense lol.

Lyte

01-19-2013

Quote:
Melds:
If i'm not mistaken they had been testing it on the NA servers quietly, so he's probably right.

Nope, we only tested it for a few days before the Winter break. It's unlikely the testing affected that player's experiences. This is only the 2nd time we've turned the feature on.

CommandShockwave

01-19-2013

Quote:
KImre:
Are there any logs that you guys can analyze regarding the matchmaking?

A visual representation of 1/1000th of the logs Riot has.

Guardman

01-19-2013

Quote:
Lyte:

That is still too much time. For one as I said before I have not noticed that me and the other players are any more even leveled then before. For two it just compounds the problem of people matchmaking dodging as it now can take four minutes or more just being in queue if you get a matchmaking dodge, which is just unreasonable amount of time to be in queue (not to mention champion select). Hell I once got my queue counter up to nine minutes as people queue dodge four times. Now this is a separate problem I admit, but this change makes queue dodging (which is a common problem) a lot worse.

Now I don't mean to sound so virulent, but I find this change extremely annoying for pretty much no benefit that I can tell.

Again I please ask you to get rid of counting number of wins after a win threshold so people with a lot of wins aren't punished by this change.

CommandShockwave

01-19-2013

Quote:
Reifke Vlasir:
That is still too much time. For one as I said before I have not noticed that me and the other players are any more even leveled then before. For two it just compounds the problem of people matchmaking dodging as it now can take four minutes or more just being in queue if you get a matchmaking dodge, which is just unreasonable amount of time to be in queue (not to mention champion select). Hell I once got my queue counter up to nine minutes as people queue dodge four times. Now this is a separate problem I admit, but this change makes queue dodging (which is a common problem) a lot worse.

Now I don't mean to sound so virulent, but I find this change extremely annoying for pretty much no benefit that I can tell.

Again I please ask you to get rid of counting number of wins after a win threshold so people with a lot of wins aren't punished by this change.

Like he said, there were some issues with the queue system after the patch. Meaning it was a bug, and you shouldn't be seeing it again.

Best Urgot NY

01-19-2013

With this new feature going live, playing with NEW lvl 30s ( < 150 normal wins) and even those below 30 became fairly common. Before this, I've been consistently playing with those with 1500+ wins, so I would like to think my normal skill rating is up there.