Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SilverSnowLilly

01-19-2013

Lol i can see the faces on everyone and they are saying : "ABOUTTTT TIMEEE GOD DAMN" hahaha

Revenith

01-19-2013

Honestly for Normal queue it never mattered as long as the other players were the same level (runes/masteries) =/ Ive played with players with only half or less wins then me or most of the enemy team who did extremely well...also ive played with people who had over 2k wins yet seemed like it was their first game...

idk seems pointless since wins dont = skill

OGZ Poptart Cat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
We will see about that. :P
Idk if I'm asking the right person but did this affect ranked?

Because if it did, It's creating a major issue. Number of games shouldn't affect ranked elo.
I was recently put with a team all below 1250 while the other team all above 1300 plus one 1400. I was the only one on my team who didn't get wrecked, because I was the only one playing agaisnt my skill level.

While my team was punished to face those 100-250 elo above them.

If it's not this affecting it what is causing this issue?

Solari Dreams

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr Poptart Cat View Post
Idk if I'm asking the right person but did this affect ranked?

Because if it did, It's creating a major issue. Number of games shouldn't affect ranked elo.
I was recently put with a team all below 1250 while the other team all above 1300 plus one 1400. I was the only one on my team who didn't get wrecked, because I was the only one playing agaisnt my skill level.

While my team was punished to face those 100-250 elo above them.

If it's not this affecting it what is causing this issue?
I've had this same issue a number of times today. Riot needs to look into this. I'd rather play against the same elo than the same number of wins if it means my team is going to get roflstomped. I looked through some of my games today on elobuff and the enemy team has averaged over 80 elo above my team twice.

bliu23

01-19-2013

I think you have to allow a larger difference between the number of wins. People who have 200+ wins are just about at the peak Elo until the drastically improve. They'll be stuck at the at that Elo +/- 100. These people properly indicate the skill level of that current Elo.

People who have less than 50 wins are more likely to keep climbing Elo. When you put a bunch of people who are "meant" to climb without people who are proper indicators of Elo. So let's say someone is at 1800 Elo. People who are 1750-1850 will accurately represent that skill level. They're benchmarks. When you have a game full of people with ~50 or fewer wins, you'll have people who may belong at 1600 Elo, 1800 Elo, 2000 Elo, or maybe 2200+ Elo, though they just don't have the number of games played. At the current time they are all at the same Elo, but it makes the games so much more random, and there's no way to tell/compare where someone really should be.

Note: I don't know how it works in sub 1500, but on my two accounts (1800 and 2000) both with fewer than 40 wins it's really inconsistent now.

Ryios

01-19-2013

I think it will be awesome, but will make smurfs worse

TheBald0ne

01-19-2013

I love this change, thanks!

DeafCatMoan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Now if only you could match people up by average role played... maybe that's too hard to do though.

PwnScones

01-19-2013

This is the best change Riot has made to the matchmaking. I've gone up 200 elo since this change because of no more noobs. Thank YOU it removes elo hell.

basketball95

01-19-2013

im not mad at all but if the Elo system is meant to rate players according to skill and players with higher Elo win more shouldnt they be at a higher Elo? I mean I think it shouldnt matter how many wins you have because skill should be what determines your rating IMO. If anyone has a rebuttle Id love to hear it.