Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheOnlyDevice

01-19-2013

Hope this works out

Post Pack

01-19-2013

can you make the queue faster?

Phil McGroin

01-19-2013

Since this change, I haven't noticed much slower queues, indeed about 30 seconds extra on normal blinds which me and my friends normally play.

But I have noticed the majority of those games I've lost. Whether this was just a run of bad play from me, co-incidence that I was matched with a lot of players better than me, or a result of the new matchmaking system itself, I'm not sure. But, me and a lot of my friends have noticed that we've lost a lot more over the last 2 days.

ehlo

01-19-2013

When I was playing, the two players at mid, left mid, and when I said, there is no one at mid and the tower is being killed, I was accused of being a baby and then told to follow them, keep in mind this is only 2 minuets into the game.
And as I was jungling at the time, and my own team started farming the jungle, not even with me, like, after they got cs in they're lane, left mid, lost tower, farmed my jungle and told me not to be a baby.
i'm pretty sure the match lasted about 8 minuets, quickest match i've ever had, everyone stayed at top and and bot and fed, while I had to take over mid from jungling 3 v 1 taking our towers.

I don't understand how simply changing matchmaking the way you did, would suddenly make me join games with complete morons, like, what did riot actually do to screw this up.
These people have probably all been carried they're whole lol "career" but do not actually know how to play.

As a fairly new player, and already honor/friendly/teamwork ribbons, why do people not do what I did and actually take time to read about the game, meta, and/or learn learn learn to know what you are doing and how to do it.
People don't even know counters and how to support pick with they're team.

And riot doesn't seem to want to reply about the matchmaking with toxic players.

Yayo

01-19-2013

it's kinda wierd, but since this change, me and my friends have only really taken part in stompy games. either we'll walk all over the enemy team, or they'll do the same to us. haven't had a properly balance, back and forth game in a whileee.

not sure if that's related?

DH264

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In the latest game update, we rolled out a second beta test of a new matchmaking change that is live in all territories. This change will increase your average queue time by about 30 seconds, but we hope the benefits are worthwhile.

--

The matchmaker will now take into account the Number of Wins a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

This means that for the first few minutes, the matchmaker will attempt to find teammates and opponents that have a relatively similar Number of Wins as you in addition to trying to find teammates and opponents that also have a similar skill rating. However, this does not mean it's impossible to get matched into a game with a large difference in Number of Wins--it's just more rare.

We need your help! Please give us feedback on the changes.

PS - RiotKiddington was the dev that did most of the work.
If this went live on NA i will love you forever

turulHAARP

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGroin View Post
Since this change, I haven't noticed much slower queues, indeed about 30 seconds extra on normal blinds which me and my friends normally play.

But I have noticed the majority of those games I've lost. Whether this was just a run of bad play from me, co-incidence that I was matched with a lot of players better than me, or a result of the new matchmaking system itself, I'm not sure. But, me and a lot of my friends have noticed that we've lost a lot more over the last 2 days.
This i lost almost all of my games in the last 2 days.I looked up my teammates' number of wins and they were ALL below mine 1k+ consistently(around 500-800).Should i mention they were mostly PREMADES?Either duo,triple man premades.It was already frustrating to play games where the match was decided by which team had the better premade but now it's even worse.

Unrestricted PK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2013

Good stuff.

Dreamspitter

Recruiter

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Kníght View Post
well I Keep getting matched with 100 200 wins players, it's ANNOYING they dont know how to play, and if I complain about it then, "it's just normal chill", and the best part is that the enemy team gets every player with even and more wins than me, is like the system says F***K u thats why!.

I dont play to lose, neither to play with unskilled players, match them with their similars dont match them with me, i'm not pro but i cant carry them all if they cant do anything for the team.... it's been 2 weeks since this annoying matchmaking.

2 weeks?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-they just announced the change not yet 24 hours ago duuuuuuuuude.....

EDIT: even if it was stealth done 3 days ago, doesnt explain your woes man.

Melds

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Yes, the main reason we are testing this feature is because of data suggesting that Number of Wins makes a meaningful difference especially when it's players with lower number of wins. For example, a player with 10 wins versus a player with 100 wins is a meaningful difference; however, a player with 1000 wins versus a player with 5000 wins isn't that different.

Here's what just happened to me. My team had two with around 250 wins and one with 500 one with 360ish wins and finally one with a bit over 100 wins.

The other team had only people with 300+ wins. One with 500 wins.

I don't think that the guy with 100 wins should be matched with everyone else thats 300+ just to make the team average work. I think some sort of cap and/or floor is needed because just going by team average isn't really correct.

You could have a team average of 2500 wins, and the opposite team gets 4 people with 625 wins and one person with 1 win for example. The team average is still the same but I don't think i's balanced.