Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FAQdat

01-18-2013

Is that change live now? Additionally is this change only for na, or for other servers as well.

ehlo

01-18-2013

Match making broke.
I can't even start a match without wanting to leave straight away, not because the enemy team is too good. but because our own team is too bad.
In all ways.
Full of trolls and fail solo heros who try to tell you what to do whilst feeding/ksing.
I have never run into this probably as much until now.
Maybe once, a day, if that, now, this is torture.

What do.

103percent

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Currently, we simply search for team compositions that average a similar number of wins to face you.
Does this not still lead to skewed teams at times (or maybe I'm misunderstanding)?

What I mean is this: Say one team has this for wins:

1000, 500, 750, 500, 1000 and along comes team 2 with
1250, 100, 600, 500, 1400

Both teams are are nearly equal in number of wins; but one team is clearly at the disadvantage having a teammate with only 100 wins. Wouldn't it be better to also perhaps look at the extreme bottom (and maybe top) wins of each team to see if they are somewhat equal? Plus there are some people that just don't have the mechanics, knowledge, whatever to play at an average or above average level and yet they can still accumulate a large amount of wins and unfavorably weigh the MM against their team.

Plus. the ratings should take individual skill much more into account (as it's nonexistant now where your ratings are only based on win/loss). Some players are fundamentally good and know how to play and what to do; consistently getting good CS, a decent K/D (aka not feeding), proper item builds, etc but still have a poor elo because they aren't yet good enough to carry a team. Conversely, players that AREN'T good at any of those things can still easily get carried by 4 other good/average players (netting them wins and a higher elo). Plus there is still the issue where all players are looked at and considered for all matches so there is still the chances of getting a truly terrible player placed on your team to make the match more "even" by MM (which is why i'm happy to hear the new ranked system will use a tier system locking off the lower rating players from ever having a chance of being matched with higher rating players; thus I'm finally starting to play ranked matches to get away from the trolls).

Zealeth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
This should not be related to matchmaking changes of this change. It was the server instability after patch that caused the issue you experienced. Sorry for your inconvenience.
While the queue times have gone down since the first days after the patch (no more 20 minute queues), they're still far above what the used to be. A long queue time used to be 2 minutes, and now my average is near double that. Whether or not this was from this specific change I have no idea, however it's long enough that it's becoming a problem when there are time constraints (example being last night when I had 1 hr 15 min to play a game and ended up having to log off after 7 minutes of waiting plus champion select time).

Momo Noop

01-18-2013

It's nice to see that the matchmaking system's getting tweaks, but I still don't understand a part:

In a couple games I've played, the teams were like this:
5 players with 50-250 won games
against
5 players with 3 of them being at 700-750 and one of them being at 1200, the 5th one is around 400

How does this happen? Is the logic just taking players with a close amount of win, and makes as if they were premade, and then throw them into the system as a team, which ends up stomping players with 200 wins?

Kirra X

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

I'd like to say that since the patch I've played roughly 30 games across three accounts, one with 1200 wins, one with 170 and one with 140.
One account is unranked this season with no ranked played but was ranked last season, one was ranked last season and this season and the last one has zero games played in ranked at all.

I've definitely noticed a longer queue time up to maybe 2 minutes searching but it really isn't that big of a deal to browse the web an extra minute or so.

I'd have to say already the games have felt a lot closer in skill than normally. A lot less complete domination by one team and also I have to say that my teammates have seem to be playing better as well, could just be coincidence though.

Thanks for putting the effort in to balance match making as you can, I for one seem to have noticed a difference already.

PositiveRealist

01-18-2013

Awesome! We spoke in emails about this 10 months ago or so. Glad you managed to implement the idea after all (at the time you weren't too keen on it).

edit: Not sure why downvote. I have the email discussion to prove it. I had this exact idea and talked to Lyte about it.

Arizel

01-18-2013

Since Your changes have been implemented I have been given the bottom of the barrel of players displaying the ability to do team work, speak intelligently, and be friendly. as a result, most of my games have gone as follows.

We seem to have a positive outlook in the pre game lobby, we play decently until early game begins. One lane begins to not do so well Followed by one or two people beginning to verbally assault said person. The game slowly descends into a crockpot of failure, rage, and insults, while I try to expose the faults of these people so they can learn something from their mistakes and from their behavior. -60 elo later, I am now stuck in the 1400s.

EDIT:

I woudl like to point out, that more often than not, the enemy team begins the game with a stronger team comp as well as people in the pre game lobby on my own team makes selfish decisions.

Warm Gun

01-18-2013

New Idea that will drastically Improve player experience by both making players more relate-able and well informed.

Updates to a players summoner profile that will Feature a new section, viewable by other players DURING champion selection. This will improve the solo Queue experience, as well as make the game more fun for all summoners.

This new section will allow summoners to personalize their profiles, by choosing which roles they would like to play (from a pre set list of roles), and which champions they feel the best about playing (from a pre set list of champions).

Additionally, it will include a direct link to the summoners lolking profile.

This new section of the profile will also allow for players to leave comments discussing how they feel about the current state of the game. This will not only keep the forums from being a trashcan of player rage by allowing players to vent on their profile, but allow for players to recognize the personality of fellow summoners and increase the likeliness that they will get along.

Also, fellow summoners who have played a game with another summoner in the last 24 hours, can post on that summoners profile. Leaving messages letting other people know things like: "great ap mid player", or "warning, does not respond well to criticism." These posts can be hidden, or visible, depending on what Riot decides.

Finally, there will be a more casual area that allows players to post memes, link youtube videos, give a limited amount of LOLreplay files available for summoners to download, inform others of smurf accounts (upon conformation from the other account), and gives links to a summoners recent post's in the forums.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3017601

WhackedRak

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladar7 View Post
Basically this change encourages people to make smurfs. Smurfs and new player will be matched together.
We will see about that. :P
One game's all it takes

A new player's hopes and dreams

They're crushed forever.

(A Haiku on how I lost my GF, sister, and cousins all as potential LoL mates. May the souls of their alternate dimensional selves rest in peace)