Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daryslash

01-18-2013

FINALLY

OMG FINALLY

I was so damn tired of getting matched with players having only 200 wins when I have 1k.

I love you and Kiddington. (But especially Lyte)

Kentudu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Is the whole concept of "Normal Elo" gone now?

SkysMoon

01-18-2013

Earlier, 2 friends and I queue'd to play a game of normal 3's. My friend is not yet level 30 (don't accuse of us smurfiing since we are entirely pre-made!), and when the game began to load - we were against 3 players all of gold Elo or higher, as well as one being a player on the #1 rated 3v3's team. This seems like a possible problem with the matchmaking system - I don't see how we could have had such a spike in our match making search. Often we see teams that have relatively clueless players, or players that are also not level 30. What caused this to happen? I hope it was not a glitch or something in the system.

Jacintosh

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
It really come down to if the system can find people within your elo range and also within your # of win range. if after a time limit the system can't find a perfect match, it will have no choice but to increase the search range. That's why you are still getting some people with hundreds of wins over you.

Lyte and I want to know is this, the longer the queue time the better "match result" you will get, but it comes with a cost (of time). Is the current 30 seconds increase in queue time worth the benefit of matchmaking with additional consideration of # of wins?
I'd say it's worth it. Me and a buddy won our last 3 of 5 games we played. Though we did sit there for a while with 2-5 minutes queues. Not that big of a deal honestly as we were always discussing our past games good/bad plays. I'd say keep it!

Thanks for coming up with something inventive with the matchmaking! We see a lot of changes from you guys but its always nice to know (from seeing tests like this) that you are experimenting with things in all aspects of gameplay.

Oo SQvince oO

Master Recruiter

01-18-2013

I like these settings

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

01-18-2013
7 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkysMoon View Post
Earlier, 2 friends and I queue'd to play a game of normal 3's. My friend is not yet level 30 (don't accuse of us smurfiing since we are entirely pre-made!), and when the game began to load - we were against 3 players all of gold Elo or higher, as well as one being a player on the #1 rated 3v3's team. This seems like a possible problem with the matchmaking system - I don't see how we could have had such a spike in our match making search. Often we see teams that have relatively clueless players, or players that are also not level 30. What caused this to happen? I hope it was not a glitch or something in the system.
That's a different problem, mostly has to do with premades. I will discuss with Lyte when the time comes.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

01-18-2013
8 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuri Ono View Post
Dominion would love it if you disabled this anyway. The whole Normal Wins = Matchmaking on Dom is damaging to an already fragile mode.
The matchmaker will now take into account the Number of Wins a player has in every matchmade queue. Which means Dominion queue(s) will use # of wins from Dominion queue(s).

Luke Duke

01-18-2013

I like how the system works so far. gj Riot

Prenn

01-18-2013

I have 4000 wins normal, like 500 or so dominion through almost 3 years, and have only won about 40 ranked this season, and this is really my frist season of ranked.. Ill post my results tomorrow in this post since I feel like I might get some interesting data. I also mostly do solo queue.

BoneChimes

01-18-2013

I think that's a grand idea, but does this also take into account the players that play mainly Co-Op Intermediate bot games? Because those games count as normal games and I think are added to the total count.

The main problem I've been seeing in draft pick and especially when someone hits level 30 is that they hit level 30 from Co-Op Intermediate games rather than going up against other players.

Am I wrong in saying that those games are counted in the Normal Wins? I probably am, but this is just a concern of mine.