Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zetaphrem

01-29-2013

Are they going to revert back to the old system, I didn't have a lot of wins before because my only normal games where either from when I played by myself or the few times my friends (who are of lower skill level than me) didn't want to do co-op for once. Now I'm not a good player AT ALL but I know my skill level and if I had a better computer I'd do ranked so I'm currently sitting at 500 something normal wins and like an unquantifiable amount of co-op wins, then this change comes around and it doesn't matter how good I am 'cause since my normal games amount is so low I get paired up with people with like 200 or below wins, or people who aren't even 30 yet...That's never happen before up until this change....to make matters worse, I just went on like over a dozen game losing streak 'cause the people I was getting matched up with were not only bad but absurdly mean or ragy, or annoying, quiters, afkers, you name it I got it. How can I even hope to get match up with better people who have more wins...When I'm permanently stuck here 'cause I can't get anymore wins due to these ****ty matchmaking...please revert.

Hallows Evelynn

01-29-2013

Quote:
DCode:
@Lyte
@RiotKiddington

ETA on the reversal (not adjustments) of your (catastrophical) matchmaking changes?

Thank you. Feels like you've given up on this thread.

Ah, a memento from my matchmaking woes, wouldnt want to leave empty handed now; last time this happened (2 days ago), we managed to win this "impromptu aram", luckily I didnt have to push my luck this time around.

to be fair, that yi looked to be AP jungle yi

felipe781

01-29-2013

after the change, have been paired with 1 good team, the rest out the 15 or 20 matches, feeders, trolls, or people who flat out didnt know what they were doing.... it wasnt this bad before the changes

KarlWayneJenkins

01-29-2013

I'm not trying to be a dick here but your matchmaking algorithm is HORRIBLE. At my number of normal wins, I should find like minded summoners. I just had TWO games in a row where the jungler started at blue and not wolves (EVEN WHEN I OFFERED TO HELP). Guess what? They both fed horribly. This is ridiculous. Is there some matchmaking hell? I don't get it. It makes me want to act like a toxic *******. I try so hard to be positive but it just gets ruined by so many bad players in a row. A level 5 shaco TEN minutes in?!?
Also, I have some friends who are AWFUL. When I queue with them and we lose, don't penalize my solo matchmaking, PLEASE. It's not fair. It pushes me away from queuing with my bad friends and that is not healthy for the game.
Just had another game. I swear my teammates would have won the game 4v5. I'm not asking for too much. Also why can't I put in the role I want to play?

GekkoST

01-29-2013

Breakdown of the new match making system:

Calculate the performance rating of a team using elo so:

[((Total of opponents' ratings) + 400 * (Wins - Losses)) / Games]

so something like

[(((1169+1312+1200+1098+1200) / 5) + 400 * ( 3097 - 2954 )) / 6051 ] = 37.72 performance rating.

Now create an opposing team that has a similar performance rating....

But throw that useless information out and find a team with similar number of wins because having a similar number of wins must mean that the players are equally skilled and capable...

That is taking too long for the system so it gets skipped...

Just put anyone in a team. Here is your new team:

You, Feeder, Noob, Troll, Rager.

TO THE FIELDS OF JUSTICE!

kuzuri king

01-29-2013

i miss the old queues lol. :P

EUniqe

01-29-2013

this system is broken in some way.

Please read, not posting twice.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=34019235&posted=1#post34019235

EUniqe

01-29-2013

wow, just been reading through this read and FARKEN HEAPS of people are having identical problems to mine - being constantly matchmade with either idiots or beginners.

this seriously needs to be fixed riot. the machmade system is BROKEN

GekkoST

01-29-2013

@Lyte
@RiotKiddington
@Who ever developed the match making system

Riot's explanation of how match making works and what their goals are. (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/learn/gameplay/matchmaking)

Quote:
The basic priorities of the system are (in respective order):

1. Protecting new players from experienced players.
2. Maintaining fairness and creating competitive matches.
3. Finding a match at all – the longer the wait, the lower the priority given to #1 and #2 becomes.

1. Within this 110 page thread are many complaints from players who are reportedly getting matched with players who would be considered new due to their lack of experience playing the game determined by their low number of wins and or low level (below 30)

2. While there are some circumstances that are impossible to control here are also many reports of teams that were considered very lopsided. Teams with one very skilled player and four very unskilled players against a team of average skilled players and things of this nature. While the averages of both sides are 'fair' it is not so when it comes to the actual game.

3. This is apparently resulting in throwing summoners into very poorly matched games which result in a very poor game experience.

According to your own standards and the reports of the people who play your game, you, Riot, are falling short of your own goals.

Quote:
Step 1: Determine strength:

If a player is solo queued, the strength is determined by his personal Elo rating (i.e. ranked team rating for ranked team, normal games rating for normal games).

If a player is in a pre-made team, his rating is the average Elo of himself and his team members, along with an increase based on the number of people in the pre-made in order to ensure that you get tougher opponents, because being a pre-made team is a proven advantage.

If a player is solo queued then that Elo rating is based off of his multiple games with random players. Elo is a team rating system, this person is an individual. Shouldn't solo queue's be based on some individual rating?

Quote:
Step 2: Determine eligible opponents:

Initially, the system will only match players with similar Elo ratings. When enough time elapses however, it will broaden the range it considers acceptable in order to find a match and prevent players from waiting too long.

New players get some special protection and are usually matched against other new players.

Where does this new "by number of wins" part come in? I assume it is apart of the protection of new players? It isn't working right now, I personally have been matched with a player with 67 wins when I myself have over 400.

Quote:
Step 3: Find a match:

Eventually, the system will assemble a group of players with comparable Elos and it will put the players into a game. The system then tries to balance the teams so that they each have a 50% chance of winning.

I believe this is the portion of your code that is resulting in two teams with similar average Elo but Elo's ranging greatly in value. If the system determines that a player has been in queue for too long it just throws them in any game and then balances the teams by placing someone comparable in skill onto the other team. The math works out, both sides are "fair" the out come of the match should be close to a 50/50 chance but now you have players grouped up that should probably not be grouped up.

I am not saying Elo does not work. I am saying your match making system does not work. Something is off with the math and I don't know what it is or how to fix it. I love you, you have created a very enjoyable game but your match making system is your greatest downfall right now. My only suggestion on what I think should be done to improve the match making system is make it more based on individual player statistics and less about team Elo scores; at least for solo queues. Elo works great for ranked teams but not so well for teams comprised of individuals that are constantly thrown into new teams. IE solo queues.

Riot please.... Elo works for teams that play together multiple times but not for individuals placed into teams that only play together once and then are shuffled into a whole different team comprised of completely different people. Make solo queues based on something other than Elo!

-- A concerned summoner

RighteousFreed

01-29-2013

Lyte this matchimaking is the absolute worst thing imaginable
i dont know why but every team has been terrible today and yesterday pls do somehting look into this i cant lose this many by myself its not feasibly possible