Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

01-18-2013
6 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naphares View Post
So far, all I've noticed is like 1-2 minute longer queue times, every time. Still getting lots of players with several hundred wins over me. Will have to play more and see if this is really working.
It really come down to if the system can find people within your elo range and also within your # of win range. if after a time limit the system can't find a perfect match, it will have no choice but to increase the search range. That's why you are still getting some people with hundreds of wins over you.

Lyte and I want to know is this, the longer the queue time the better "match result" you will get, but it comes with a cost (of time). Is the current 30 seconds increase in queue time worth the benefit of matchmaking with additional consideration of # of wins?

All Wheel Drive

01-18-2013

It actually works, I haven't had terrible baddies in 2 days, sure skill level shows, or sometimes a person just having a bad game, but there is no utter baddies yet, that's good news.

IT WORKS.

CrazedPorcupine

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
It really come down to if the system can find people within your elo range and also within your # of win range. if after a time limit the system can't find a perfect match, it will have no choice but to increase the search range. That's why you are still getting some people with hundreds of wins over you.

Lyte and I want to know is this, the longer the queue time the better "match result" you will get, but it comes with a cost (of time). Is the current 30 seconds increase in queue time worth the benefit of matchmaking with additional consideration of # of wins?
No no it isn't.

If you wanted to actually get people with the same skill level, you'd not take total wins, you take the Win:loss ratio and use THAT. out of the 5-6 games I've played, i've won only one, and wins are usually just Roflstomp pwnage not that hard work close game that we had before... I'm seriously done with League until this change gets reversed or fixed. I hate being angry after every single game I play.

Vsin

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post

Cut it down to 20s or something. 30s is basically double the queue time.

EV Gredrix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Is this also effecting Arranged ques? 5v5 and such

Elsaliss

01-18-2013

Reserved for comment after playing some games.

OMGthischampOP

01-18-2013

Does this mean I will finally have SHORT queue times?
Super excited to get off work to try.
As it is right now, my normal queue time is 10-20 minutes, which is why I usually default to playing against AI (which is usually an instant queue).

Tactive

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedPorcupine View Post
No no it isn't.

If you wanted to actually get people with the same skill level, you'd not take total wins, you take the Win:loss ratio and use THAT. out of the 5-6 games I've played, i've won only one, and wins are usually just Roflstomp pwnage not that hard work close game that we had before... I'm seriously done with League until this change gets reversed or fixed. I hate being angry after every single game I play.
That's what the Elo system does, it's not exactly win to loss ratio but it rates you based on your wins and losses, they're now combining that system with this new one to find player near your Elo who have also played the same number of games.

Imagina if W:L was used exclusively, the player who has won 15 games and lost 10 would be matched against played who have won 1.5K and lost 1k... That would be much much worse than the current system.

LHkite

01-18-2013

I would like to know, if you have 10 wins in Ranked, but 2000 in normals, for example, will it take in to account your normal wins in matchmaking, or just ranked?

Fenstick

01-18-2013

Does the system take your skill range first, and then search for players in queue with similar wins based on your skill level, or does the system look for other players queue'd with similar wins as you first and then check for skill range?

It may seem redundant, but if it's skill range first, the games will be more even, I believe. Smurfs will likely only have a few wins but potentially a higher skill level, especially if they did well in their placements.

Ofc, if it treats both as mutually inclusive, then my fears are unwarranted.