Ranked Game Help For A Noob.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Femox

01-18-2013

What requirements should a player have before attempting to join their first few games?'
What do people in ranked games and teams look out for in a player?
and What can a player do to help their team achieve the best possible outcome? 'Victory!'

FrazzledMelon

01-18-2013

Most experienced players will tell you that you should be able to play at least 3 champions in every position reasonably well, and know enough about the game to be able to counterpick appropriately given whatever role you take.

The reality is that almost no one who starts ranked games is anywhere near that, and we spend a lot of time in this forum listening to how much ranked sucks these days because of all the clueless noobs.

Hope that helps you make a decision. xD

adc

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzledMelon View Post
Most experienced players will tell you that you should be able to play at least 3 champions in every position reasonably well, and know enough about the game to be able to counterpick appropriately given whatever role you take.

The reality is that almost no one who starts ranked games is anywhere near that, and we spend a lot of time in this forum listening to how much ranked sucks these days because of all the clueless noobs.

Hope that helps you make a decision. xD
Yeah, this about sums it up.

Make sure your CS is good (200 at 20 minutes in a game where you farm the entire time).
Make sure your warding is good (Always try to keep your lane warded, unless you're AD).
Make sure you have good map awareness.
Make sure you can play every lane with at least 3-4 champions, and can do so competently.

If you get those skills down, you'll win a LOT of games just on that basis.

Femox

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
Yeah, this about sums it up.

Make sure your CS is good (200 at 20 minutes in a game where you farm the entire time).
Make sure your warding is good (Always try to keep your lane warded, unless you're AD).
Make sure you have good map awareness.
Make sure you can play every lane with at least 3-4 champions, and can do so competently.

If you get those skills down, you'll win a LOT of games just on that basis.
I think I can handle it, I have played a few ranked games already.. a lot of people don't have the map awareness they should which is a major hindrance in a lot of the ranked matches. This has helped me a lot, and it will also help me to become someone that can help others.

Thankyou <3 xx

King Kappa

01-18-2013

Have one champ you're a monster with, then 1 other champ for each role. Also, be sure to own both soraka and nunu so you can have some diversity when you're forced into support.

jester82

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Play Draft mode! Its pretty much like rank but it doesnt touch your ELO. Most game I play are more standard, its a good stepping stone to rank play and player skill pool is generally better.

Daniel11111123

01-24-2013

Go pantheon and just carry everyone.

etharian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2013

some good goals are 80 cs at 10 minutes. after that teams start to group up and your cs can suffer quite a bit, so its not always a good idea to have a cs goal for later in the game.

understanding the mechanics of every champ in the game, or at least the ones that see play. doesnt mean you have to know them in and out, just know what their moves do. this will help you with knowing what your team is capable of and the enemy team

its good to have at least 2 champs you can play in every role so its harder to get counterpicked/stuck in a role you can't play

be willing to play any role thats available, and be at least decent at the role. ive not found anything more helpful to my team than just letting them know they can grab whatever role they feel best with and ill be able to pick up whats left without hurting my team

it also helps if your high on the pick list (1st or 2nd) to pick a role thats harder to counter ex. jungle/support/adc- these roles arent countered as hard as top and mid. some people may disagree with the adc pick first but since its a duo lane if the other champion tries to counterpick bottom the support should still have a pick left to try and counter their pick, or at least even out the advantage a little bit

buy wards-even as an adc (within reason of course). there is no person on the team that should never buy wards. vision=gold. it either grants a kill or prevents a kill. makes it easier to contest objectives like dragon and baron

NEVER BE DOING NOTHING-possibly the most important rule in league. always be doing something. buying, farming, pushing towers, getting buffs, killing jungle creep, ganking other lanes, contesting/getting dragon/baron, warding/counterwarding. basically if you're wandering around with no clue what to do-you're doing something terribly wrong and need to watch a replay maybe to see what else you could be doing

split pushing is super effective. especially in low elo-alot of people cant react properly, or execute a split push properly-make sure your team KNOWS that you are split pushing. don't want them to get caught in a 5v4-they'll just blame you. also, you have to know how to split push. this means ward your route and have an escape plan ready. shaco, shen, and tf are an example of excellent split pushers. they have the ability to push down minion waves quickly, and a safe escape mechanism (shen utli, tf ulti, shaco deceive+JitB)

when in champ select try to pick a champion than benefits your teams composition, this will come with practice only. once you understand other champions better you will know what they excel best at. for example shen is great at split pushin, vlad ulti is great for aoe comps, maokai ulti is great against aoe teams, cait is great at poking from a distance, ect. also remember to keep an eye out for the following things-does your team have a tank/initiator (you will need at least 1 beefy person to soak up the burst damage)? does your team have any cc?(a team with little to know cc is likely to lose against a team that has reliable/effective cc).

suggestions may be a bit scattered (currently at work and keep getting interrupted to actually do my job) but hopefully these little tips will help!-oh and one last one, always be friendly. makes the angry people even more upset (trololololol) and the people that are actually trying try harder and not feel so bad about it, after all-its still just a game

chris2423

01-24-2013

have 2 champs per position that u are comfortable with at a minimum. on top of that, most players have a "main" where they try to call top or mid or adc or whatever every game. by doing this, you can excel at a single position and really help your team win when u get it, but also be decent when u arent your main so that u dont feed and keep your team in a position to win.

in all honesty though, there is no difference between ranked and unranked, except your elo is visible, and even that is about to change. its just a game, dont take it to seriously.

MicKretz

01-24-2013

i think all a player needs is GOOD understanding of game mechanics + good understanding of the roles + basic info with the champs they wish to play

I only say that ^^^ cuz thats all i have and i'm doing ok for starting rank