What's wrong with queueing up for roles for solo ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Croryuzen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2013

Just wondering what would happen if there was a system where before entering the queue for ranked matches, we could select roles we would like to play rather than just yell at each other during champion select.

The roles would be the staples of the game: adc, support, jungle, mid, and top (mid and top being terms used for lack of a more descriptive term as the players could decide in champion select chat where exactly to put the lanes).

Maybe we could also classify the roles you pick farther with such things as DPS, Tanky, etc (with of course not all classifications being applicable to every role) and allow players to pick and choose what kind of team they want, based on what roles and classification people pick.

Of course a, "I don't care" option would still be available in all stages of the system for people who just want to get into a game as quickly as possible or don't have a specific niche they want to fill.

I also believe an in champion select, anonymous, vote kick option would be necessary to boot the people who did not pick according to what the rest of the group perceives as "an appropriate pick." It would also be useful to boot players who afk or are not paying attention during champion select. Anyone booted through the vote kick option would be able to queue up again with no repercussions.

This allows people to get the role(s) they queued up for and want, specialize, and make queuing up for solo/duo ranked much more organized.

Here's an example of how it would work:

I click solo/duo ranked and a window pops up prompting me either to "Choose my role," or "Go immediately into the queue"

I choose the option "Choose my role" and a new window pops up with many options. I want to play support and a top. I click the checkmark for these roles and hit "next." A confirmation window appears and I click "continue."

The same window pops up asking me to choose my role or go immediately into queue. I click go into queue.

I am now moved into queue for the roles of support and top. Queue ends and I get into champion select as top, with all the other roles being established allowing for champion select chat to be used as a space to talk about champion pick, set up runes/masteries for what i queued up for, and talk to the team without yelling at each other about pick order and roles.

Thoughts?

Deus Est Mori

02-26-2013

Interesting concept, I don't believe it could make anything worse. Granted people will always troll, it would help all of these "I CALLED MID FIRST" arguments, and hopefully reduce the amount of instalocks for roles that were already claimed.

GummyBearWookiee

02-26-2013

You can't....simply because there are way too many combinations with that kind of system for one. You'd have to a setup that not only checks for things like the combination of "support and top lane" but also cross check that with any and all other players and roles.

You could be the only player viable to have the combination....and therefore stuck in a queue for all eternity. That's the problem with people buying into meta etc. The only thing you could do...is draw out what role you want by ADC, Support, Jungle, Mid, Top. However that also forces meta as well.

The fact of the matter is...all the complaining about picking and roles is easily fixed if people stopped being immature and juvenile about it all and talked things through logically and without rage and silly behavior.

xstrifex

02-26-2013

It establishes that the current meta of 1-1-2-J is the only one. And Riot doesn't want to do that (even if their balancing actions suggest otherwise).

And how do you enforce it? Support is one of the least popular roles to fill and so would likely have a short queue time. What happens if I queue as Support but pick a top or ADC champ? Do you lock me to a small selection of "support" designated champions? What if I prefer to play support with an oddball champion like Teemo or Ziggs or Yorick but those are locked out because they're not typical support champs?

Croryuzen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2013

Honestly for me the most frustrating part about playing ranked is the arguments that happen during champion select and cause people to rage before anything has even happened.

Plus the old system is still in place for people who would prefer it that way, or think this system is just another way for Riot to "control the meta."

ByePas

02-26-2013

What would stop me from queuing as a support and calling mid lane anyway?

ICStars77

02-26-2013

the only reason I wouldn't like this is because I like going top however I don't play a ton of champs top so if they pick like shen for example I know rumble is a strong counter but I don't play rumble. However if someone on my team wanted to go rumble top to counter shen then I gladly would go somewhere else. I feel like picking one specific role would get rid of a lot of counterpicking in champ select and room for variation of team comps as what top fits the team also is important(or support or mid or jungle or what have you).

Croryuzen

02-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByePas View Post
What would stop me from queuing as a support and calling mid lane anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstrifex View Post
It establishes that the current meta of 1-1-2-J is the only one. And Riot doesn't want to do that (even if their balancing actions suggest otherwise).

And how do you enforce it? Support is one of the least popular roles to fill and so would likely have a short queue time. What happens if I queue as Support but pick a top or ADC champ? Do you lock me to a small selection of "support" designated champions? What if I prefer to play support with an oddball champion like Teemo or Ziggs or Yorick but those are locked out because they're not typical support champs?
What if the anonymous vote kick system actually had repercussions for the booted player rather than none, would that help at all?

2pudge1cup

02-26-2013

because players want the standard lane matchups to become less standard, not more.

mrdude5410

02-26-2013

3 reasons why
1. No one would ever queue up for support before mid Gold, so matchmaking would take forever
2. You can't actually claim you're a good league player if you can only play one role. Sure, diamond players have a main role they're best at, but they can play all roles well enough to at least keep up
3. It would endorse a specific meta, something Riot has said multiple times it is unwilling to do

tl;dr: THIS IDEA HAS BEEN SUGGESTED AND SHOT DOWN SO MANY TIMES ALREADY JUST ****ING PAY ATTENTION FOR ONCE.