Aether Wing Kayle can be better

1234511 ... 16
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blorgorize

01-17-2013

Short version on page 14!

I love Kayle but...

I like playing Kayle, great counter to burst, fun to jungle and can do multiple roles to confuse draft pick opponents. Still won't pay $15 bucks for a $9 skin though; however, I'll pay 1350 for it no problems as it currently stands.

Simply to get a message across that Aether Wing is not as potent compared to recent legends Battlecast Prime Cho'gath, Ethernum Nocturne and Zombie Brand. Aether Wing Kayle is missing something that makes it "Legendary".

Legendary skins have that niche you cannot acquire from the current skins, something that makes you go "Cho My God!"

This feels like you were rushing a deadline, perhaps something to do with Thresh and the Lunar Revel? Your logic screen is even missing the music loop.

First blood, Pentakill and Lore quotes oh my...?

This was a missed opportunity for quotes that can heard by both teams while using abilities.

Interaction between other champions such as PF Ez and BC Cho over 9000 taunt. Also Noc and Graves smokescreen and the Leona/Zyra sunlight growth effect.

You could easily throw in Morgana kill quotes like:

"Science will always be superior to black magic!"

"If only you could see the Utopia I bring, sister..."

"Through faith and steel your wings can be restored too, you simply need to BOW!!!"

Even the desired first blood and pentakill global taunts can jump-start another way to get lore into the game.

First Blood: "It is time to put the lawless animals down..."

Pentakill: "Now, for the whole world to see! Faith and Steel's Eternal Triumph!!!"

I paid 1820 RP and all I got were these lousy abilities.

Save for the lightsaber E, her ability particles aren't that impressive compared to Legendary tier skins.

Compared to Cho'gath slamming his guns into the ground only to have a nearby area erupt into an explosion. His speaker systems breaking the eardrums of any nearby enemies, missiles galore. And my personal favorite "MAXIMUM CHO'GATH!"

Nocturne's Duskbringer fires out a far more acceptable energy projectile, his W has the cool blue afterglow when he succeeds in blocking a spell, his E's upgraded energy streaming as compared to the classic skin, and for the ultimate has his body spins like a giant wheel of death towards the sorry sob about to die.

Zombie Brand has new animations for all of his abilities, along with the sickly green fire effects befitting an undead. When he chases enemy champions his animation walk cycle reverts to a traditional zombie. He also ushered in unique respawn aniamtions with Haunted Maokai, they help sell that he is a zombie. Thresh is heralding these QoL buffs for classic skins and further demonstrates he is the eternal jailer of the damned as the Chain Warden.

Aether Wing Kayle's Q lacked the proper "oomph" when it could have a more potent sound effect when used and upon landing on the target. You could even grant Righteous Fury attacks additional particle effects while Reckoning is active on the target being hit. Both satisfying for the Kayle that is applying pressure and a big warning to players about to get a combo to the face.

Divine blessing cast on self should have her wings make blue afterburners. This was honestly where you guys goofed up. If you gave her a feeling of speed when she self-casted W this would have passed more smoothly since I have not noticed a new animation with increasing movement speed on the PBE. Not to mention Hecarim, Vladimir, Kennen and Rammus all have different animations for when they cast their movement speed boost abilities.

As before, I throughly enjoyed her E lightsaber particles but the animation itself is lacking. It feels like clockwork, she has no style when swinging her Blazesword. There are critical strike animations, two of them at that, but they are so similar to her basic attacks which is the same as her Righteous Fury. This is not acceptable for legendary quality.

When Intervention was activated I expected attacks made to the immune target to ricochet off the shield with golden sparks flying for cosmetic purposes. If harmless ricochets are too much to ask for, then simply make little golden clouds of dust appear in the direction of the blocked attacks. As I'm fighting with a Darius in top lane and he tries to dunk me I want to pop that shield with a loud "THUNK! " and massive sparks of golden energy flying off my shield.

Ability QoL Changes

Winning is always fun, but you're missing one of the most important parts on Aether Wing. The Anticipation, the Wind-up, the Rising Action or even the famous Ka...ma...ha...me...!!!! /// The end product isn't always the main dish, you need to give attention to the road that reaches the climax. /// We've seen goku use the kamehameha dozens of times but it never gets boring because of the adrenaline rush as he spends several moments charging it. /// Many Kayles will spend their time with Righteous Fury active auto attacking and using Divine Blessing to stay in/out range so it must be amazing enough that we will not get sick of it.

We need diverse and impressive feats for a legendary skin. Her current attacks resemble the classic skin far too much! Swaying back and forth in a horizontal pattern with awkward pause, like a grandfather clock. Current legendaries have some combination of animation, sound effects, voice overs, particle graphics that make them worth 1820 rp.

Compare the Fate/Night version of Saber's Excalibur with the new Excalibur from Fate/Zero. This is what I wanted to see from the legendary, something that blew the classic model out of the water. An ability that spoke with the power Kayle used to conquer an entire planet!

The majority of her abilities are instantaneous, they need to pack a tremendous punch with the few seconds that they are active.

Holy Furor:

Champions under the effects of the debuff will have blue and golden sparkles around them for the duration of the effect. When the maximum 5 stacks are acquired the blue and golden sparkles will be far more noticeable.

Reckoning:

Improved Sounds: shockwave sound effect upon activation and a thunderous sound effect upon hitting the target regardless of Divine Blessing.
Without Divine Blessing active Kayle pivots her torso to her right side then flings the bolt at the target.
Divine Blessing active Kayle will do a full body thrust and hurl the bolt at the target.
Targets hit by Righteous Fury while Reckoning is active will either ignite into a bluish white inferno or have the ground around them burst into flames upon each hit.
With Righteous Fury Active Kayle holds her Blazesword up high and then slams it straight down with an energy projectile launched from the weapon speeding towards the target.

Divine Blessing:

Self-casted Kayle's wings go into overdrive like jet engines, leaving behind a longer particle trail as she soars during movement for the duration of the spell. It needs to feel explosive, we immediately must know that it was used it!
Friendly Champion cast will have the target bathed in a golden light for the duration of the movement speed buff, with dust as a residual particle effect. I agree with her current Divine Blessing animation by raising the sword to sanctify her allies, it is a great pause.

Notes on Page 10 for her passive movement speed particles I failed to notice due to high thresholds needed to reliable see them.

Righteous Fury:

Upon activation Kayle's sword particles are acceptable as they are on live. When she attacks she will swing her sword with both hands. Think of beating someone down you really dislike with a metal bat. It's also possible to have environmental effects, like burnt earth, when each swing connects especially if you are striking a target affected by the Reckoning debuff.
First animation swing start from diagonally top left to bottom right, then vice verse for the follow up attack that gets progressively more fluid based on attack speed. Imagine her drawing an Infinity symbol, or a sideways 8.
Critical strikes would have her spinning the sword over her head, in acknowledgement of her missing "halo". The animation can also get faster and faster based on attack speed.
The best substitution is to simply have Kayle go "Omnislash Mode" for the next several seconds, using 4-5 (6-7 might be too much) animation clips to choose from at random or sequenced. I wouldn't mind losing her two current critical strike animations for this because the criticals are so similar to her basic attack and will bottleneck Kayle into playing AD instead of AP or Support.
The Current animation simply has her performing crescent slashes horizontally with abrupt stops. Trained swordswomen have slight tilts in their axis to keep the momentum rolling. This is necessary on a champion that can get away with stacking attack speed.

Granting Kayle a golden blue plasma halo or a helmet unfolding for the duration is icing on the cake.

While both Divine Blessing and Righteous Fury are active Kayle will tilt to her left and soar with the blue afterburners holding her blade at her side in a thrust stance.

Intervention:

Activation is still the same as on live. However, when a target strikes the shield with basic attacks small clouds of golden dust appear near the point of impact with low static sound effects. When the shield blocks an ability golden sparks fly away from the point of impact as resounding rings are heard.

I feel gold for the shield is better as it's her innate angelic abilities, and something she did not have to rely on machinery to achieve. Hence the Blazesword and blue wing engines, these symbolize Kayle's dependence on an outside force as seen in her joke animation when blue sparks fly and she plummets to the ground. What's more there's a tone of despair in her taunt voice as she was desperate enough to have implants to keep her wings and not lower herself to Morgana's level. Blue would look cooler, but it defeats the purpose of lore and what I feel Riot was trying to achieve.

Ability Quotes:

Reckoning on Champion: "Kneel before Justice!!!" // "You will die for Order!" // "Heresy!!!"

Self-Cast W has the blue afterburners, just add an awesome sound effect to it.

Non-self Cast Divine Blessing: "Bathe in the maker's light!" // "Mended by faith...!!"

Righteous Fury activation: "Witness the powers bestowed upon me!" // "The unworthy shall be cleansed in holy fire!" // "Sacrilege!!!"

Intervention self-cast: "You cannot hope to slay Justice!" // "Mere worms before the Judicator!"

Intervention on friendly: "Divine Sanctuary, friend!" // "You won't succeed so long as I draw breath."

Intervention on friendly Morgana: "Justice demands a different fate, Morgana." // "Repent sister, I am forgiving!"

Worst case of blue balls...ever

Her recall animation is another disappointment. I was getting excited for the first 7 seconds then got the most painful case of blue balls on the last second due to the lackluster climax.

Where was the massive dust explosion from the built-up energy? The sound barrier breaking as she takes off at mach 7!? The scorched earth particles left behind for a few seconds as enemy champions finally catch up only to see she's gone!?!

Kayle landing on the summoner platform with a small dust cloud is also a substitute. Panda Annie makes great use of this unique cause and effect recall starting at 1:03.

So many ideas could have been used.

It's not too late to improve...!

I know the Lunar Revel skins are around the corner but Aether Wing Kayle deserves better for the price tag it was given. It seems like it's a slightly better 975 skin, and I'm more than willing to shell out 1350 points, but not a whooping 1820 rp in the year 2013. I also feel terrible for not pushing this harder when I saw it on the PBE. I do not mind if you use my ideas as your own Riot, in fact please take them as your own and I'll wash my hands of this. I just do not want to be chased out of matches by players laughing at me for paying an extra $7 for a non-legendary quality skin when recent skins are better.

I am indifferent about Kayle having a helmet, but if I had to give an opinion on it I will. She wore a helmet to hide her face during the horrors of war, whether that was from out of fear or she did not want people to see her bloodthirsty face is unknown. However, she won the just battle. No longer was there a overlaying reason to hide her face. Kayle's planet is united under one rule, although an iron fist regime at best. Now she could still have one materialize/unfold when Righteous Fury is active as she still needs to keep appearances to the general public, of course. There could also be a page expanded on from Neon Strike Vi and have one of Kayle's emotes cause a helmet to expand into head gear for her.

This skin feels forced, were you rushing it out before Thresh? I can even notice it on the logic screen with the music not looping after the first playthrough. It will be alright if you patiently build it up like Battlecast Prime Cho'gath, measure twice and cut once. No words need to be said, just a finished legendary skin appearing 3-4 months later.

Pool those thoughts together and give Riot more ideas.

Tl;Dr:

Battlecast Prime Cho'gath, Eternum Nocturne and Zombie Brand are all leagues above Aether Wing Kayle and they are her predecessors. You really should read the entire thing so you can understand this is not a bad skin, in fact a great one, it just has alot of competition.

Red Bait. Better Nerf Irelia. Morello. Grumpy Monkey. Griftrix. RiotPenguin. ricklessabandon. IronStylus. Leona. Bikini.

DogInRealLife

01-17-2013

Best summary on why I won't be buying this skin.

Extremely underwhelming, even with a new VO.

1350 RP or fix it Riot

Blorgorize

01-17-2013

Bump for Justice

Your Persona

01-17-2013

If Aether Wing was updated to include all of this awesome stuff, I might reconsider not getting it.

I mean I still think her auto attack animation is dumb, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

SlumlordThanatos

01-17-2013

Just a couple things that I think are within Riot's power to fix:

1. Add some leg armor.

2. Fix her splash art.

And now, for a personal anecdote. When Nami came out, I was undecided as to whether or not to purchase the package for her. The skin looked decent, but do I really want it? When I saw the splash art, I decided, and I bought the bundle. Still love it.

Riot, for the love of all that is holy, stop underestimating how freaking important splash arts are for selling new skins. It's not only important, it is vital. You cannot afford to skimp on it.

Butthurt Beluga

01-17-2013

You're all greedy.
I'd like you to compare Gentlemen Cho'gath, to Aether Wing Kayle. (This out out of context, mind you.)
Yes, I agree that some things could have been tweaked to make her feel a bit more legendary - I understand, and, personally, I agree.

However, the quality of skins has been improved so much in so little time that I think the people of this community are going to be ravenous, insatiable, even.
They want more and more, but if Riot increases the price, every one refuses to buy the skin.

Hell, when any 1350 champion skin is released, half of GD sounds like they're about to storm the Riot offices and burn, rape, and pillage for great justice.

You also have to keep in mind that skins don't get any cheaper to make for Riot. You may think you know all that goes in to building a skin, however, you do not.

For example: compare and contrast Cho'gath's two legendaries.
I don't even need to iterate on this, because it's so obvious.
They're both legendary price, but one is of much better quality than the other.
Yet the price remains the same.

TL;DR: Skin quality has increased so much people are now expecting more and more from every new released skin.

TheYellingMute

01-17-2013

VO is probably one of the most half assed one they have done

StarBubbles

01-17-2013

She's def. not legendary material. I want her to be worth the legendary status. Riot, if you're going in this direction of creating a legendary for Kayle, GO ALL THE WAY.

DarkriderSejuani

01-17-2013

It can be, but in all honesty it probably won't be. The skin's already been ruined to most people so no matter what is done to fix the skin there will still only be a few buyers, and so Riot won't waste any time on that when Ryze or Teemo can do with more skins.

It seriously looks like Riot just gave up on the skin. Crappy quotes, very few animations ( 2 attack animations? No crit animation?) and there wasn't even a sneak peek for it. Hours after release it got some crappy 'skin preview' but that's about it. 975 RP quality.

TerminatusOmega

01-17-2013

1350 skin, nothing new besides just some visual looks..

1234511 ... 16