Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tides of the Depths (Nautilus and Nami)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goau

01-17-2013

Trudging through the murky depths, the large, metal clad titan wondered through the darkness. He did not need to worry of drowning, the need for air long since gone when he awoke from his deep sleep. There was only one worry: How long until he reached land of some kind? What choice did he have? In the unending darkness of murk and water, where no light penetrated from the warm, life-giving sun, the only way to go was forward. Aside from the darkness and his weight, all he knew for certain was the heavy item clutched in his hand. He had examined it, by feel alone, and found that it had a chain connected it and was very heavy with a crescent shape to it. His first guess was that it was a giant hammer. Going with this knowledge, he used his weapon to smash aside any creature or object in his way. There was no light, no sound, and only the black of darkness.

Now and again, he encountered life. Whether he collided with it, stepped on it, was attacked by it, or was tripped by it, he did not know what it was, but knew it was alive. Curious, at first, he was determined to find out what it was. Using his weapon to mark his way, he dug its head into the ground, ensuring it would stand straight and not topple, and used the chain to keep from losing it. He was able to identify coral, metal, rock, and immobile or slow moving animals. Whenever something wrapped itself around him, he was able to identify it as a squid or an octopus, before it released him. More than anything, he was unwilling to lose his path, and so fought when something grabbed at him.

Whenever something rammed into him, a shark, perhaps, he would often topple, falling onto his back. Rising was not difficult, and the predator gave up as quickly as it had tried to attack him. More than once, he had been present the chance to grab his attackers, their tail fins bending to escape his loose grip, but he never tightened the hold. No. That would mean he could lose his way. The path he had dedicated himself to would be lost, leaving him lost once more and without the knowledge of which way was forward.

Hours past, the indication of time unknown to him, until he came to the first thing that had truly gained his curiosity. Sitting there, in the darkness, was a stone that glowed with a very dim light. As eerie as the light was, it was comforting, drawing him toward it. With his free hand, he reached for the stone, touching it. The dim glow did not change, but he felt something, not physically but a longing for this stone. He also felt a great fear of it, like his being here, in its presence, was a danger to him.

As soon as he did, something rammed into his side, forcing him to the side. He stopped himself with the aid of his weapon, the heavy metal pushing at the ground until he slowed to a stop. His head turned back to the dimly glowing stone, and then he saw a dark shape before it, illuminated by the light. It was like a giant water snake, only with arms. Its eyes were glowing a bright yellowish green, watching him intently.

Whatever this thing was, it did not look at all friendly.

He stepped forward, the thing's twin glowing eyes watching him. The closer he moved toward it, the closer it drew to the stone, as though protective of it. He paused when the thing blocked his view of the stone, the light vanishing under its body. He was left in the darkness once more, only there was the low sound of an echo, a sound muffled by the water.

WATER! Yes! He was underwater! But for how long? And why?

His head turned down for several moments. When it came back up, he was staring into the glowing yellowish green eyes of the thing that blocked him from the stone that gave off little light. He turned around, trying to regain his bearings.

In the darkness, he could not see his foot prints, or even where he had been pushed to the side, away from the stone. His only option was to go forward in a new direction. Silently and mentally, he cursed himself for being sidetracked and losing his way.

Himself… Who was he, anyway?

Walking once more, his mind began to work, trying to unravel the riddles of who he was, where he was, and why he was here. None of it made any sense, only that he wore a metal and rubber suit of some kind with a large weapon and chain. He did not even know if the suit and weapon went together. Somehow, he did not think they did.

He turned his head back to see the thing unravel itself from the stone, and then watched silently as it began swimming around the stone. It was protecting it, for whatever reason, and he had probably been lucky all that happened was his being pushed away. Next time would probably be far worse.

Once again, time became irrelevant, the black abyss he dwelt in making him lose all sense of direction and time. Well, not all direction, but he could only go so far forward. Instead of dwelling on the single negative, he began to stop now and again to watch the shadows of the aquatic wildlife. Though he did not know what he was watching, he could make out the shapes and sizes of the creatures.

For once, he was at peace. Nothing tried to attack him, nothing was in his way to step on, and sometimes he even found something interesting. More than once he was able to identify objects he stumbled upon; iron nets, sunken ships, rock formations (which did not stand for long), anchors, and, to his surprise, unexploded depth charges. He did not know for sure how he recognized these items, but he guessed he was some kind of seafaring man. A pirate or mercenary, perhaps? He went with this thought, swings his weapon in front of him a few times as though in combat with invisible foes.

Suddenly, he hit something, his weapon stopping against… whatever it was that he had fought. It was not a rock formation, or anything else he had found before, as this dark shape moved like he would have if he was suddenly hit.

He began to step back, cautiously, but then froze when a brilliant blue light shown. It hurt his eyes to look at it. "Stay back monster! I don't want to hurt you!" He heard from the strangely female voice. He had not been expecting something to talk to him, must less it be female.

His eyes adjusted to the light enough to withstand it, but it was still painful. He held his hand up, realizing the light was coming from a staff the female held. It was blinding, but as long as he kept his hand where it was, he could bear the light until he fully adjusted.

He tried to speak, but the words only flew out as bubbles. The both of them watched for a moment, then the female spoke. "You… Are you one of the abyssal creatures?" She asked, unsure now.

Since he could not answer, he looked at the female. She was half woman and half fish, her clothing (if it could be called that) looked to be made of scales and fins from fish, and her staff was very much of an unknown people to him. She was beautiful, in a half fish kind of way, but not his type at all.

He looked at his hands, seeing that they were metal with massive, iron fingers. He also noticed that his weapon was not a hammer, but a large anchor, the heavy chain hooked to it like it had been torn from the whole.

"Are you okay?" She asked. His attention imminently shifting back to her. "You've been staring for a while now." She added.

Again, he tried to speak, but the words came out in bubbles, only to float away.

The fish woman looked concern, curious even. She did not know what to do with this creature before her, or even if she could trust this strange being. It did not matter. She had a mission she had to complete.

Her expression turned serious. "I need to know: Have you seen a large stone, about as big as my head, which glows with a faint light? It is called an abyssal pearl." She said.

A large stone that glows… Did she mean the one protected by the thing he had seen before?

He turned around, looking back the way he had come. It was a long walk back where he had been before, how knows how many hours or days? He raised his hand up, pointing.

The half-fish woman swam to his side, her light staff no longer bothering him. "That way? You saw a stone like what I described that way?" She asked. He nodded his head. She smiled, her voice changing and expressing her delight. "Oh thank you! I've been searching for days." She exclaimed.

Her next action surprised him. She threw her arms around his head and hugged him. "My name of Nami, I just wanted to let you know in case… Anyway, thank you for your aid." She said.

Before she could swim away, he reached and grabbed her tail. Oddly enough, she did not appear angry, but confused. "Y- yes?" She asked.

He released her, then let go of his anchor. He began to make motions with his hands and body, warning her of the large things he had come across. "The monsters?" He nodded. "I know. I've had to fight several of them, but I must find that pearl." She said.

He shook his head, and then bent down, drawing in the mud. After a time, he finished, the picture that of a crudely drawn snake with big eyes in front of a stone. "There is a guardian?" He nodded. "I will face this guardian! If I best it, I can obtain the pearl." She said, then began to turn.

He caught her again. This time, she was angry. "Let go of me!" She demanded. She raised her staff to him, the water distorting. A second later, he felt himself pushed back, yet he kept ahold of the fish woman's, Nami she had called herself, tail.

He shook his head, pulling her back. With her behind him, he began to walk forward, taking the front. "You're going to help me?" He heard her say. Without looking back, he nodded. "Oh… Well, I am sorry for attacking you then." She said, apologizing.

With her light, it was much easier to watch for obstacles and wildlife. He also noticed the path he had left. Most of the way he had drug his anchor, unknowingly making a one foot deep and wide trench. He had made a path without trying. "This is wonderful! I've been searching for two and a half days now, trying to find the pearl. Thank you again for your aid Noble of the Abyss." She said.

He turned his head at such a statement and title. A noble of the abyss? He was no such thing, nor did he wish to known as such. Yet, in this water, his words were only bubbles to be carried away. He was able to sigh, at least, the movement of his shoulders having no effect on this woman's cheery nature. And yet, beneath that nature, he had seen her turn deadly serious. If not for whatever had happened to him, that blast of water would have sent him flying.

Hours past and he finally stopped. "What is it? What are these?" She asked. Without trying to answer, he reached out and lifted one of the unexploded depth charges. He would need one for the trial ahead. "You're taking that with you?" She asked. He nodded, but then continued walking.

As the minutes turned into hours, Nami kept talking to him. She spoke of her people, the Maria, and how the pearl she sought was needed to trade for a moonstone with a land dweller. He had never heard of anything she spoke of, the closest thing being that of ships her people called "heavy homes". Oddly enough, he found her company a welcome compared to his loneliness from before. If only he could speak, then he would be able to answer her questions.

However, it was not just that. Nami also spoke of her fears, the seriousness of her quest, and what her failure would mean. More than anything, he saw the look of sorrow in her eyes, and then her lower lip quiver. "I can't fail… I just can't… If I do, then my people, my friends, my family, all of the Maria, will be wiped out by the monsters here. I'm afraid." She said, her voice shaky and forced. It seemed that, with him there, she had found the courage to go on, but now that courage was quickly fading.

He stopped, Nami stopping with him, and relieved himself of both his anchor and the depth charge. "What are you-?" She began, but then he turned and reached toward her.

She froze in his arms, easing to speak with her eyes wide. Carefully, he put a hand on her head, soothing out her yellow and green hair with the flat of his hand.

Slowly, her arms rose, hugging her body to his metal form, before crying in true earnestly. With his other hand, he rubbed her back, a comforting touch. It did not stop her tears, however, but encouraged her let out all of her fears and frustrations.

After what seemed like hours, but were really minutes, Nami pushed herself away from him. She smiled as she wiped her eyes. "You truly are a Noble of the Abyss. Thank you for your kindness." She said.

This time, he did not mind the title. He retrieved his anchor and the charge, before starting out again. With her fears expelled, she was more serious now. With the aid of her light, even he was more confident of traveling through the darkness.

Finally, they came upon the stone, and its guardian. This time the thing did not look pleased to see him. "That's the abyssal pearl!" Nami called out.

The creature moved back to cover up the pearl, preventing the dim glow of the pearl to betray its location. Only Nami's staff and its glowing yellowish green eyes remained to give light to the darkness.

He stepped forward, swinging his anchor like it wear a sword. Nami tried to move forward, but he stopped her, pushing her back to his hand that held the charge. "We can take it!" She said. He shook his head, and then pointed with his anchor to the pearl before tapping her gently. "You want me to get the pearl?" He nodded. "What about that thing?" She asked.

In response, he turned away from her, turning his full attention back to the thing that protected the pearl. He began walking forward, placing the anchor to rest on his shoulder. "Wait!" She called back. He stopped, but did not turn; his eyes were focused on the monster. "In case we do not see each other again, I just wanted to let you know that you are a friend of the Marai. Just tell them Nami is a friend." She said.

He nodded, then crouched and began running toward the beast. He threw out his anchor, the chain sliding through his metal-gloved hand. The beast dodged, or so it thought. He pulled back the chain, the anchor coming back as well. The sharp end struck the beast in its head, pulling it forward with the anchor. In quick sessions, so as to not lose it, he let go and pulled again, regain his chain and bringing his anchor ever closer.

Seconds later, the pearl was revealed. A moment later, and the beast was completely pulled from its roost and charge. That did not last for long, as he gripped its head in his right hand, which formerly held his anchor, and now gripped its lower jaw. He turned his head, seeing Nami swimming toward the pearl.

Their eyes locked for the briefest of moments. Bubbles emerged from his mouth then, his unheard last words.

He turned back to the beast. He released the depth charge from his hand, and then forced his fist down into the charge. In an instant, it detonated, a blast of sound and force tearing at the water.

It was agonizing. Pain flooded through his body, making his mind go blank from the shear force. He only just able to tell that the beast he had gripped was now nothing but chunks of meat floating in the water. As for him, he saw Nami getting smaller. She called back to him, but he could not make out the words. The world seemed to disappear into blinding agony.

He wondered… Was he dead? Could he be ascending to his place of judgement?

-

Looking over the calming shores. Nautilus, the Titan of the Depths, watched the waves come and go. He sat at a small beach overlooking the Bilgewater harbor, watching the ships come in, looking for the one that had been owned by his traitorous crew. His grip around the anchor tightened. The ship was nowhere to be seen.

"Noble of the Abyss..." He jumped. That voice! Could it be?

He turned in time to catch a glimpse of a blue and green skinned woman with bright, vibrant yellow hair. He looked down. She had a tail.

The female's head turned up, her eyes locking with his. She was crying, and this time there was no water to hide the tears. "I've found you again!" She said, crying tears of joy.

His anchor slipped out of his grip, then his hands came up, wrapping around her fragile body. Like before, he was wearing his suit of metal and rubber, but now he could do something he was unable to before.

"My name is Nautilus. I was once a sailor, an explorer of uncharted seas." He said, his voice coming out frighteningly, but not by his intention. Nami did not care, she hugged him anyway. "It is good to see you again... Nami of the Marai." He added.

She pushed herself up, looking into his bright, red eyes. She shook her head, a sad smile on her face. "I am now the Tidecaller of my people, all because of your help. My people now have a chance at life, and it's all thanks to you... Nautilus, Noble of the Abyss." She said. Before he could say anything, put her head on his shoulder, near his head. "I can never thank you enough." She said in between sobs.

Nautilus let out a sigh. "I was betrayed by my crew and left to die in the sea. Since then, I have become part of the abyss." She looked back up at him. "I am no noble, but a dead man cursed by the darkness of the sea. Now, I am only alive for revenge. The noble you knew died with that beast years ago." He said.

Nami shook her head, her smile turning happy and sincere. "No, you are not." She said. She then put her head down over his chest, listening. "I can hear it. You are not dead. I can hear your kind heart beating, even if it is faint." She whispered.

"Nami... I've missed you." He said.

"And I, you." She added. "I've become a Champion of the League of Legends to find the moonstone holder." She said.

Nautilus pulled her closer too him, careful to not harm her. "Really? Then I never need worry about leaving you again." He said.

She nodded, and then moved her arms up to his head. She kissed the black piece between his helmet, where his mouth was.

For the first time since he had awoken, and since the last time he had met this woman of the tides, Nautilus no longer felt any rage or angry. Even if he was trapped with this diving suit, his human body forever lost because of the betrayal of his crew, the Titan of the Depths felt like a man once more.

For the briefest of moments, he felt his heart beat with love for the creature before him.

Dregen

01-18-2013

Cool little short story, I liked it. Nami is one of my favorite supports.

Frost Archer

01-19-2013

Awwwww..... It's so sweet! But too much like a league version of the little mermaid. eh, still was one of the best oneshots I've seen.

One of the things I would change off the top of my head: when Nami apologizes for attacking, you should just say "sorry". We can infer she attacked him and we can infer what her apology is for.

Also, gramatical error in the second last paragraph, second sentence: "Betrayal of his crew"

The only thing that truly irks me is your ending. When you say she joins the league. But I've explained this millions of times (more like 10). I just dislike mention of the league. That part of it is just a game.

For example, we wouldn't say: Garen activated courage and ran in to fight chogath. Chogath used roar and silenced him. Garen then used cleanse to remove the cc and used decisive strike on chogath.

*better way to express that: With a mighty battle cry, Garen charged to meet the beast. It gave a great roar, one that chilled him to the bone. He couldn't move. He couldn't think. He could only feel the fear that was creeping into his body. Shaking himself, he strengthened his resolve and resumed his charge. He jumped, flipping his massive frame in the air and smashed his sword down onto the beast's shoulder.

When we start writing a fan fiction, we step out of the Game world, into the world of imagination. Saying abilities is not going to put something in the reader's head.

Although you have not gotten THAT ridiculous, keep in mind that the lores all lead back to the league of legends as an excuse to have that champion there. In reality, there shouldn't be a League of Legends in Valoran.

Goau

01-19-2013

I like to think of the League of Legends and the Institution of War as two separate pleases, but led by the same people.

The League of Legends is the section that keeps track of and aids the champions, as I often refer to them as "League Champions". Since it is the League that does this, they have records of the champions. I'd image Nautilus would spend most of his time near Bilgewater, searching for records since the Institution will not help him. As for the Institution, they are obviously the section that deals with the more diplomatic and world-related issues.

Basically, to me, the League is a library of information for the champions, locations and reasons for even joining, and the Institution functions as the political beacon they may extend their influence. Hence, if Nami joined the League, she joined it to receive aid for her own agenda without effecting the rest of the world. Others, such as the Demacia and Noxus champions, would have joined the Institution for their respected homes. (ones like Riven and Fiora would be exceptions to this, of course.)

Dregen

01-19-2013

Quote:
FrostArcher024:
Awwwww..... It's so sweet! But too much like a league version of the little mermaid. eh, still was one of the best oneshots I've seen.

One of the things I would change off the top of my head: when Nami apologizes for attacking, you should just say "sorry". We can infer she attacked him and we can infer what her apology is for.

Also, gramatical error in the second last paragraph, second sentence: "Betrayal of his crew"

The only thing that truly irks me is your ending. When you say she joins the league. But I've explained this millions of times (more like 10). I just dislike mention of the league. That part of it is just a game.

For example, we wouldn't say: Garen activated courage and ran in to fight chogath. Chogath used roar and silenced him. Garen then used cleanse to remove the cc and used decisive strike on chogath.

*better way to express that: With a mighty battle cry, Garen charged to meet the beast. It gave a great roar, one that chilled him to the bone. He couldn't move. He couldn't think. He could only feel the fear that was creeping into his body. Shaking himself, he strengthened his resolve and resumed his charge. He jumped, flipping his massive frame in the air and smashed his sword down onto the beast's shoulder.

When we start writing a fan fiction, we step out of the Game world, into the world of imagination. Saying abilities is not going to put something in the reader's head.

Although you have not gotten THAT ridiculous, keep in mind that the lores all lead back to the league of legends as an excuse to have that champion there. In reality, there shouldn't be a League of Legends in Valoran.

That last part is kind of interesting. The league of legends shouldn't exist in Valoran? Why do you say that?

I DO kind of wish it didn't exist TBH though. It kinda gets old to read some awesome bio that appears to be well written, and then at the end they tack on some random reason the champ joins the league.

It's kind of like, "There was an ancient demon who ravaged the northern lands. *insert cool lore here* etc etc...." then at the end they tack on something like, "After killing all the children in the village and sacrificing their guts to lord Baal, the demon suddenly smelled cookies and decided to follow the scent, stumbled into the LoL cafeteria and saw it served awesome cookies, so he decided to stay and fight for the league so he could get free cookies forever, the end".

Vendorz

01-20-2013

Oh curses, I find a great story with one of my favorite characters, Nautilis, and its a one shot! If anyone knows a good story about Nautilis please tell.

Goau

01-20-2013

Quote:
Vendorz:
Oh curses, I find a great story with one of my favorite characters, Nautilis, and its a one shot! If anyone knows a good story about Nautilis please tell.

I may make more chapters, like what happens to the two before and after their second meeting, but I've other things to do and projects to finish.

Eyowyn

01-20-2013

Delightful

Frost Archer

01-20-2013

Quote:
Dregen:
That last part is kind of interesting. The league of legends shouldn't exist in Valoran? Why do you say that?

I DO kind of wish it didn't exist TBH though. It kinda gets old to read some awesome bio that appears to be well written, and then at the end they tack on some random reason the champ joins the league.

It's kind of like, "There was an ancient demon who ravaged the northern lands. *insert cool lore here* etc etc...." then at the end they tack on something like, "After killing all the children in the village and sacrificing their guts to lord Baal, the demon suddenly smelled cookies and decided to follow the scent, stumbled into the LoL cafeteria and saw it served awesome cookies, so he decided to stay and fight for the league so he could get free cookies forever, the end".

Ha ha! that really made my day.

You answered that yourself. The lore and the game should be completely separate. The only way they are connected is by that last sentence.

But if you think about it: If the league was so powerful, why didn't it take over valoran? they could easily do it (keep in mind, Kayle, the strongest of her immortal race, bowed down to them to prevent them from destroying her...

Also, wtf is the point of having people kill each other and come to life? that is in the game, nowhere else. It should not be in the lore. (what are they gunna do? place bets?)

So you really gotta ask yourself, what does the league really do? Summoners don't really do anything but control their champions. You would think that people would use great nexus crystals, capable of destroying a race of immortal angels, for something better than killing each other and reincarnating them over, and over, and over again....

kittytoast

01-20-2013

Well the wiki describes the League as such:

Quote:

...Valoran’s key magicians – including many powerful summoners – came to the conclusion that conflicts needed to be resolved in a controllable and systematic way. They formed an organization called the League of Legends, whose purpose was to oversee the orderly resolution of political conflict in Valoran. Housed in the Institute of War, the League would be given the authority by Valoran’s political entities to govern the outcomes of the organized conflict they would administer.

...The League resolved that all major political conflict would be settled through the use of specially prepared arenas strategically located throughout Valoran. Summoners representing a particular political allegiance would each call forth a champion; the champions, leading mindless minions generated by novice summoners manipulating a nexus, would fight to achieve the objective of the arena they were in.

.... Even still, all political entities abide by the governance of the League of Legends. No wise regent would be foolish enough to rail against a vast cabal of immensely powerful magicians, summoners, and champions.

Now if one takes it a step further, in order to make it realistic in the confines of Valoran, certain aspects of the game can be explained, and others should not exist. It wouldn't be completely improbable that champions could come back to life. Summoners are supposedly very powerful magicians, and powers could likely be enhanced by the proximity of the nexus. Now, if this were the case, then only the most powerful summoners could summon champions, and of course there could be no "duplicate" champions in the same match. Maybe they don't actually die per se, but are injured severely, summoned back to base, healed, then sent back out. Injuries taken when enemies are stronger (i.e. late game) take longer to "heal" thus longer to return to battle. There's so many different ways you could spin it.

An idea that my boyfriend put forth is that nobody actually dies in the matches; matches are more like a scrimmage or an enactment. Champions fight, summoners make decisions, and when one makes a bad decision that would result in your death, they take a penalty and sit out (the respawn time, essentially). It's a little out there, but still takes into account the "dying" aspect of the game.

Of course, you could just say Champions fight in these matches and never die, but removing the penalty aspect doesn't really make it a fight.

League matches are used to resolve disputes, which in the real world, don't occur all that often. I think that in reality League matches would only occur a few times a month, once a week at most (like a sporting event). Even so, after a match, the Council makes a ruling over the political outcome as a result of the match.

So the League is a real entity within Valoran. Are matches a dumb way to resolve disputes? Certainly. But hey, it's all in how ya spin it. I do agree that the lore team could come up with some better reasons as to why some Champions agree to fight in the League, especially the neutral Champs. Some of those are just dumb. Or non-existent (like Udyr).

ANYWAY NO ONE ASKED FOR MY TWO CENTS XD. This story was hella cute! No one ever writes about Nautilus! I can feel it in my bones, I'm going to end up shipping Naut/Nami now XD *runs away to do hw*