How do I know if I can replace my processor.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

R Truth

01-17-2013

Hello all,

I got my PC custom built a few years ago and the video card, ram, etc are all fine but I want to start streaming without lag and I have very fast (50 mb/s) internet but my game and stream still lags when I try and stream. I figured it was my bad processor (AMD Phenom Dual Core 3.2GHz). What processors can I upgrade to that will be good for streaming?

Thanks all!

R Truth

01-17-2013

Edit: I have a Radeon HD 6800 Video card and 12GB of Ram

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2013

An Intel i5 series would be a solid choice.

Keshaldra

01-17-2013

I'm not sure you can find a reasonable upgrade within that socket, which means upgrading your motherboard as well. Just a heads up.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-17-2013

What motherboard do you have? You need to identify that in order to know what route you can take.

Lumione

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2013

All the processors i can find with the given information appear to be socket AM3. you might look at AM3+ if your motherboard is futureproofed and can accept them.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumione View Post
All the processors i can find with the given information appear to be socket AM3. you might look at AM3+ if your motherboard is futureproofed and can accept them.
He would be AM3 if he had a Phenom II processor, but he stated Phenom, which would be an AM2 typically.

Lumione

01-17-2013

good catch, I googled phenom II out of habit. So yes, ignore my previous post and tell us what mobo you have.

Some, like the Asus M3A32 MVP deluxe, were built with AM2+ in mind but a bios upgrade can make them work with AM3 CPUs.

coheedrocks72

01-18-2013

Just look up your motherboard and im sure you can find a forum that will tell you what you can upgrade too