Lore Rewrites :/

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zaenos

10-17-2012

So, as we all know, there have been a number of lore rewrites lately.

Soraka
Warwick
Jayce
Karthus
Katarina
Shyvana
Fiora
probably more.

But I can't say I like any of them, except Katarina's and Jayce's (though in his case, the community was clamoring for a rewrite even before his release).
Warwick's in particular bothers me. Sure there was a bit of a difference between his past and current self, but that was okay. Lore that deviates form the expected makes for more developed characters, and a more developed world. And this is where I see a lot of what's bothering me. Champions are becoming more and more stereotypical, with Karthus' new lore being the latest great offender. I'm sure this isn't intentional, kitae mentioned a number of goals behind the rewrites, but it seems like in trying to give them more detailed origin stories, originality has become collateral damage.

I just don't understand why. As far as I know, save Jayce, there has been no call for these champions to have rewrites - they're just happening. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and can be a good thing; I'm just concerned about the execution, because thus far a couple champions seem to have taken some blows to their imaginativeness.

I take a lot of comfort in kitae's statement that these rewrites aren't necessarily contradictory to the old lore. And at least as long as Singed's lore remains intact, much of the old Warwick will survive, by proxy.

Kitae's thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=27663027

Allea

10-17-2012

Sadly Maokai and Singed will be one of the next ones to follow up, since now it doesn't really make sense for either of them...I just hope it's doesn't turn out too bad. I still don't understand why the lore reworks are needed either...was there something wrong with them? I thought they were fine for the most part...I remember Teemo also had a lore rewrite too but it was fine..that being said, I think Shyvana's rewrite is kinda better...for some reason I can't remember Fiora's old lore though.

KiteMeGood

10-17-2012

And there is now no motivation to join the league, that is the best part, the ultimate motivation to join the league.

Zaenos

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allea View Post
Sadly Maokai and Singed will be one of the next ones to follow up, since now it doesn't really make sense for either of them...I just hope it's doesn't turn out too bad. I still don't understand why the lore reworks are needed either...was there something wrong with them? I thought they were fine for the most part...I remember Teemo also had a lore rewrite too but it was fine..that being said, I think Shyvana's rewrite is kinda better...for some reason I can't remember Fiora's old lore though.
Yeah, I just read that Singed is next here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...02248#29402248

"Too much similarity". So there were two mad chemists, a master and an apprentice, and then one becomes a monster and entirely different, while the other rises to his master's place. ...That doesn't scream 'too similar' to me. That says character development. :-/ When I first read Warwick's lore, I gained interest in the character, due to his chemist background. It made him different. Now he seems like just another hunter werewolf. I'd actually say Warwick's current identity is closer to Rengar's than his old one was to Singed's.

Pjammies

10-18-2012

I have this bad feeling they are going to go through and pretty much remove Noxian vs Demacia lore. Instead it will be just a bunch of mercenaries that will have a nice little one paragraph explaining how they feel. I always thought they would expand on the Noxian vs Demacia thing. But with the end of the journal of justice I guess that is the end of the Noxian vs Demacia lore?

Hopefully they don't over change singed and make his lore completely opposite of his chemist origin. I like it, it is awesome and fine the way it is. The fact they made WW vs Soraka so dull and lame is kinda dull and lame. I like the old WW vs Soraka it was interesting and had character written all over this new stuff just seems washed up. The old lore had character to it this new stuff just seems silly compared to other champions.

I also miss the journal of justice. It would be cool if riot could find a writer to come in and write a book or two.

xxSylphxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Just to note - Jayce's law was to be changed because it basically took a dump on viktor's lore and character. Imagine if riot released a new character, and in doing so ruined the lore of an older character. Oh wait, that just happened.

Sylph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSylphxx View Post
Just to note - Jayce's law was to be changed because it basically took a dump on viktor's lore and character. Imagine if riot released a new character, and in doing so ruined the lore of an older character. Oh wait, that just happened.
Interesting choice with your summoner name...

Tortferngatr

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
Interesting choice with your summoner name...
Can you use your prismatic powers to communicate with kitae and tell him/her about all the annoyances we have?

Swordwraith

10-22-2012

I dislike how so many of the rewrites/new Lore backgrounds leave out WHY the champions join the League. That is critical.

NecroticBinder

10-22-2012

The problem seems to be one that is on multiple levels. The first, and easiest to address is how hostile we are being directly to Riot and Rioters. A lot of people value the characters and their lore, so when they see their lore being taken apart and brutalized (Soraka's new lore, Jayce's old lore for example) they are going to be a bit feisty, combine this with the lack of quality in new champions people are not happy. What the community needs to do is take this frustration and turn it into better written arguments for their opinions. Of course, there is always a point when we must say that Riot isn't listening but you have to do it in a good way. I'll admit that my own writing style can be abrasive, that is a personal flaw but I highly doubt that most of the lore community doesn't know how to write arguments that are a bit friendlier.

The next part of the problem is that even when we behave, Riot doesn't seem to be listening. There was a lot of outrage at Jayce's lore because it made Viktor so archetypal and just ruined his lore. This trend has continued, while some things are not outright contradictions when you look further on the personalities of the characters are getting changed, which means the entire character is getting changed. (Karthus's new lore/personality for example) Riot continues to follow down a path that the lore community at least has shown a lot of dislike of, they are also forcing older characters down this path.

Third, the uniqueness of the characters in the world is forcing a lack of originality. This statement on the surface doesn't seem to make much sense but when you look at it, you'll see things like Singed and Warwick's lore, they were not unique because they both filled the roles of chemists but the interactions between them and Soraka, at least in my opinion was original, it was interesting and furthered the world and characters.

Fourth, because of all of this the tensions between the community and Rioters is going to grow worse as time goes on because communications between both sides are fairly limited. From the community, it's the aggression from being well, spoiled. From Rioters, it's the selective answers they give in addition to what just seems like not trying to work with the community. When Babaganoosh worked on the lore, it didn't require an AMA to get a question answered. Things that weren't directly related to the champions were fleshed out, a reasonable, REAL world was provided.

I've put forth problems, so I'll try to put forth solutions.

For the first problem, we need to calm down. Arguments need to point out the difference between old lore and new lore, what made those good and where they could have been improved. Stomping our feet and saying "We don't like this!" isn't going to fix anything. Saying that Soraka's old lore was problematic because it made her seem air headed, so expanding on why she stooped down so low would be better.

As for Riot not listening. They should try to become more visible, threads that ask questions, REAL questions should be answered. It may be just me, but I don't care about a hypothetical situation between two champions that isn't likely to occur. I want to know what has happened, I want to know what is happening, the characters should feel like real people rather then larger then life stereotypes. Questions that aren't related to champions, or even to the league should be ENCOURAGED. We should at least have a way to find out more about the world.

Characters shouldn't have to each fill a niche little role within the world. I understand gameplay-wise that having a champion's looks, and abilities stand out and fill their own roles is needed. For the lore aspect, this isn't as necessary. It expands the characters, we have 100+ champions with a lot more in sight. This means that letting characters and what they do overlap isn't that bad, using them to flesh out the world is kind of useful but of recent even that hasn't been done. One outlet does not make a proper world, the more ways you have of showing how the world works the better but simply trying to say how it works using one method doesn't work.

As for the final point, well if you fix the first three then the last one shouldn't be a problem. It might, but that is beyond the scope of my own vision.