How do you deal with players who are extremely good at the game, but complete jerks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TimofeyMozgov

01-17-2013

Grow thicker skin.

Kroda13

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47WOLF View Post
With respect, some would argue that this is not a wind down game that you play to relax after a long day. In fact there are people who perceive this as a greater problem than people who are verbally unpleasant but are nonetheless playing well.
I get home from work my brothers are usually waiting for me to log in we drink some beer and play about 4 games a night. Sometime we win sometimes we lose either way we have fun and some days make new friends that play with us. Most games people get honor from me aswell.

GON the Mage Guy

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by an army of dudes View Post
My friends and I played a normal game (we were 4) and we got queued with this Diamond player.
I haven't read the thread due to the fact that you began your LoL career at 4 years old. That's dedication.

Digitality

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47WOLF View Post
Under the assumption that you'd rather win than lose, winning is a benefit. The OP himself admitted that they would have lost without him, and the OP was at least intelligent enough to recognize a moral dilemma with reporting the individual.

The semantics of "benefiting" is irrelevant to the point I'm trying to make so long as victory is favored over defeat.
So the semantics are irrelevant as long as we're using your definition of what is beneficial. I see.

The game is competitive in it's nature. I agree with this. However the importance of victory at all costs is less prolific in normals than it is in ranked. As it should be.

Winning is favorable in a vacuum. Is winning at any cost, such as being belittled by a player who could apparently win the game more easily without you even being there, actually favorable? I would debate that.

TimofeyMozgov

01-17-2013

The pussification of America continues.

Digitality

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemonet View Post
Not everyone in this game wants to teach others how to play it. Not every single person is going to take you under their wing and try to explain a game that you're playing, therefore should know enough to not do horribly.

Real life applies just as much here as anywhere, not everyone is here to benefit you, people aren't here to make your time jolly, they're here to enjoy themselves.

Everyone here thinks that if they're doing bad some person had to teach them what they're doing wrong and be positive and friendly like they're best buds. They want to win, they know how to win, they don't want to waste their time dealing with people that don't listen, which is a good... what, 50% of the community?
I never said he had an obligation to teach anyone. He doesn't. Such an expectation is unrealistic. That doesn't mean he should be justified in being the complete opposite of that though.

Take what I say very literally because I try to choose my words with precise intent in relation to what I'm replying to. You're extrapolating based on an assumption of something I did not actually say.

What I am saying is that unless you place extreme value on a normal game win, nothing this guy did is actually beneficial to the OP.

Mediocre Top

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaboopie View Post
Report. I don't care how good a player is, and neither does Riot. IWillDominate got banned because he was a ******, but he's a pro level player. If you're being a jerk, you deserve both the reports, and the bans.
It would be funnier if the guy they got queue'd with was IWillDominate

omoidewaokkusen

01-17-2013

I like winning. In fact, I play to win, let me just get that out of the way? Do I get frustrated when I lose? Yes, a lot of the time, I do. Do I play like a pro? Not all the time, no. I lose as often as I win, and with every defeat I strive to become better, because that is how winners are made.

But herein lays the difference between guys like me and guys like that player. See, my mom and dad raised me to accept defeat and be humble in victory. They always told me 'sometimes you win, sometimes you lose'. To cry and throw a tantrum is a sign of immaturity, and a clear indicator that you never deserved to win in the first place. And know what? Sometimes you lose not because you were not good enough, but because the other team was simply better. Sometimes it's not that you strike out, it's that your opponent hit the ball out of the park. If that happens, you keep practicing and practicing until you become better than they are. League is exactly like that.

To be humble is one of the most difficult things to learn in life, because pride is so addicting and often we feel like we have earned the right to be proud. But pride is the source of shame, and shame can lead to anger. The player that OP complained about has too much pride. But that is not the worst part, no. That player has no respect for those that are not up to his skill level. He threatened to throw the game if he did not get his way. He berated his team mates for doing badly. He then, in an unsubtle matter, told his team mates to commit suicide because they 'sucked'. Look, we don't always win, alright? Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Did you lose because your team mates were not up to your skill level? Too bad. That is a risk that is always present when being assigned team mates by the system. It is not perfect, I know. But how we treat others is NEVER dependent on any system, but our own choice.

Playing badly in a game of League is never a reason to be trashed. No one deserves to be told to commit suicide, simple as that. That guy deserves a report. At the very least, I hope he gets a warning, and that the player is humbled into accepting the fact that, no matter how badly someone is doing in a game, no one deserves to get harassed. And as for OP, may this experience echo in his (or her) mind the next time he (or she) is playing with someone and that person is not doing so well. May it inspire him (or her) to treat people as he (or she) wishes to be treated.

Simple as that.

pokelda2

01-17-2013

report. being good doesnt justify being a massive dick to people

Anemonet

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitality View Post
I never said he had an obligation to teach anyone. He doesn't. Such an expectation is unrealistic. That doesn't mean he should be justified in being the complete opposite of that though.

Take what I say very literally because I try to choose my words with precise intent in relation to what I'm replying to. You're extrapolating based on an assumption of something I did not actually say.

What I am saying that unless you place extreme value on a normal game win, nothing this guy did is actually beneficial to the OP.
I guess I should word this differently, why should it be beneficial to him? Is the OP benefiting the rude player? He's as entitled to a benefit as much as the OP, and clearly the OP wasn't benefiting him by playing poorly.

There's a bit of "self-entitlement" in this community where everyone thinks other people should benefit them. Everyone's equal, and this is the internet, not every stranger is going to be nice and everyone needs thicker skin. People insulting other people over the internet in one game shouldn't be taken seriously.

Unless it's continuous bullying as in more than one game, people should forget about it, and move on.

There's an ignore feature for a reason. : /

If someone walking down the street that didn't know me called me a ******bag, I wouldn't go to the authorities, or even take it seriously, why should I? He doesn't know me.

If they take it seriously, they're giving him the power over them, the other person can't assert power over them. When people grow up they learn to shrug some things off, not a lot of people here know that yet, so we have to cater to a community that hasn't learned something we've learned already. We build our rules around a younger crowd that doesn't understand that not everything should be taken to heart.