When to tier 2 boots?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tabrnak

Recruiter

01-17-2013

I'll start by saying im still fairly new, and maybe theres a glaring obvious answer im not seeing but anyway. I'm watching a bunch of streams to try to see how I can try to improve and i'm utterly confused about when to upgrade boots and not. From what I see adc's should always get zerker's asap but other then that is there any guidelines? Thanks!

Summoning Izzy

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabrnak View Post
I'll start by saying im still fairly new, and maybe theres a glaring obvious answer im not seeing but anyway. I'm watching a bunch of streams to try to see how I can try to improve and i'm utterly confused about when to upgrade boots and not. From what I see adc's should always get zerker's asap but other then that is there any guidelines? Thanks!
depends on when you need them, if you're doing awfully well, you probably dont need them unless you want the extra boost or would prefer getting tier 2 boots over another item. depending on what champ you're playing you may need your boots faster than others, i'ver gone 40 min games with ww jugle and not have to buy tier 2 boots, and we won...so it really depend when you see fit of needing them.

Shadow Light M37

01-17-2013

When you feel you need them.

Or after you get your first major item.

ZapatillaLoca

01-17-2013

i always forget.. :-(

Rillain

01-17-2013

It should be different timing for every game. Building situational is a really nice habit to have. Basically you just need to spend all of your gold when you shop, and if tier 2 boots fit in the math, then get them. Only time I think you should really get your tier 2 boots fast most of the time is in mid lane.

Rikkhan

01-17-2013

As others had said it depends on the situation for example, I play riven on top, so:

- If I know I gonna lane against a very agressive AD champ I'll go: cloth + 5 pots >> dorans + ninja tabi >> rest of the build.

-if its a easy lane I'll go: boots + 3 pots >> brutalizer >> BF sword >> BT >>merc treads >> rest of the build

Drakojan

01-17-2013

Depends. Are you against a skill-shot oriented champion like Ezreal or Brand? If yes, then buy the T2 boots to dodge easier. Are you against someone like Annie? You can hold off. Like Rillain said, building situationally is a very good habit to have. But, I'm gonna disagree with this.
"Basically you just need to spend all of your gold when you shop"
If you have 1000 gold, and you're one of those people that doesn't see the worth in Doran's Items, I would say hold off and buy your Large Rod/BF Sword, rather than upgrading into anything else. That's just my opinion though.

Rillain

01-19-2013

If you b without buying anything to save for bf sword or rod early game, you will lose the lane

Boagster

01-19-2013

I would much rather buy a Pickaxe / Blasting Wand (assuming you are just looking for AD / AP and not something with more utility) and a ward than go back to lane without upgrading my power.

That said, you are pretty right on getting Berserker's Greaves on an ADC as early as feasible, but there are times where other items may be more worth it. If you go back with 1600 gold, grab that B.F. Sword, unless AS is that important to your champ (Twitch, for example). Otherwise, buying situationally, as previously suggested, is a must-have skill.

For example, if I am playing Support as Taric, I will usually buy Ninja Tabi as soon as possible after my Sightstone, to punish their ADC even more for choosing to attack me. But, if the enemy Support is Lux or Lulu, I'll usually grab the Null Mantle to upgrade into Mercury Treads, but actually hold off on upgrading into the Treads until later. If our lane is absolutely stomping then I will wait on deciding on boot upgrades altogether and rush my Aegis, regardless of lane opponents.

Wiltsee

01-19-2013

tier 2 boots on AD and AP carries are a must the moment you can buy them. These boots are usually Sorc. and Berserker's, and they show an immediate damage boost when you purchase them early.

as for other champions, like they said, it depends. top laners usually prefer a core item before the second boots. supports often don't need boots until much later on, like in the mid-game. and junglers should try to get it quickly for the added movement and improved ganking.