Armor and Magic Resist

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eyemite

01-21-2013

Personally I feel like they could be slightly more effective than they currently are but generally buying ap and ad items with armor or mr built in is enough for most champs rather than buying a pure defensive item. They do help but there are just those champs that eat it up no matter how much you have.

MyDeadGrandma

01-21-2013

By all means, don't buy armor. Give me a reason to go straight crit and not bother with arpen, please. And Frozen fist/heart have such terrible stats and passives, you only ever buy them for the armor.

Oh, and MR? Yeh you don't want that either. Why make me spend money on mpen when I can build straight witchcap and deathfire?

CallMeTaste

01-21-2013

As with everything, find a balance. Itemize correctly for your team and against your opponent. Check if anyone is building auras like Bulwark/FH. See what their damage type and nature looks like. 3 people that will stack BC? Better get health+dmg. 2 assassins? Better get resist+health. etc.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
I feel that people should still regularly buy resistance items. I just don't want enemies' spells to deal true damage or even be multiplied because I went to negative resistance.
First of all, damage won't be multiplied ever. Penetration has a cap of 0 and cant push your resist to negative. Only REDUCERS can do this and the chances of it happening are practically nil and would require some serious stacking of very specific things.

Secondly, you still have a good deal of base armor/MR, enough to avoid true damage for a while. Most champs get 80 armor for free (+15 from flat yellows), and 50MR (plus 25 from blues).

Third, theres no reason to avoid armor/MR entirely. There are 2 good situations for armor/MR.
a) Especially as you approach endgame...where taking a resist item is a good idea as your max Health gets pretty high. The more health you have, the more EHP you can gain thru armor/MR. So consider this if the game drags on.
b) if the enemy deals mostly 1 type of damage. In this case the armor/MR cost is effectively halved allowing you to pile on more of the appropriate one. STILL, you need HEALTH to have something to multiply these gains by.
If you have ever seen an All AD or all AP team and tried to stack Negatrons or Chain vests and upgrade them later... you know it doesnt really work as well as you'd expect.

Even small amounts of armor give pretty significant bonuses from a percentage point of view. Say you have 150 armor. Thats basically natural armor plus 1 chainmail item.
Expect 8% pen plus 10% pen(map), plus last whisper (35%).
That drops you to about 80 armor. Then you have BC pen of 10, runes of 12, 6 sunder = down to 50 armor.
50/150 = 33% reduction in damage taken.

The problem is that dominion games are short and full builds are rare. As such, health items are now the best way to increase tankiness for much of the game. This is why I say that 'armor/MR sux'. Not because it always sucks, but in general for most of the game it kind of does.

Orphane

01-22-2013

It's mostly like someone said earlier, that Riot swapped the penetration order and then flat out ignored the armor reduction/penetration built into many champs' kits (Wukong, Darius, Xin Zhao, Jayce, Urgot, and others) that was meant to help them deal with the old armor formula, but when combined with the new order just completely overdoes it.

Fabs457

01-22-2013

still wish there were better health items built out of giants belts vs. rubys so going heavy stacked health route (initially pouring gold into belts) seems a bit more attractive to properly itemize for. not sure about for others but for me i almost always see at least 2 people having bc as well as some kind of armor shred on the enemy team

konfetarius

01-22-2013

Quote:
The problem is that dominion games are short and full builds are rare. As such, health items are now the best way to increase tankiness for much of the game. This is why I say that 'armor/MR sux'. Not because it always sucks, but in general for most of the game it kind of does.
No, lol.

Flat penetration nerfed, aura removed, Last Whisper made more expensive. You have a sizable window before your opponent gets Brutalizer/Whisper when armor is extremely effective. Furthermore, until your opponent gets Black Cleaver, you aren't particularly worse off compared to pre-swap patch in terms of effectiveness of your armor (it's just that the OPness that is Warden Mail got neutered and OPness that is FH was made notably more expensive).

Not to mention Cleaver is getting nerfed next patch again. Getting into the habit of not getting armor is a bad idea.