Armor and Magic Resist

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Soren Kaleth

01-17-2013

Anyone else seem to feel like buying either is a waste of money on Dom? I couldn't help but notice it feels completely worthless unless Im playing a tank with full defense tier. Even after S3 changes it really doesn't feel like the money is worth the benefits. Your thoughts?

FDru

01-17-2013

I've only been playing TT and PG since the start of S3, but resists are worthless there too. The real tanks just stack Health (too bad you can't do that as effectively in Dom). It's not just the fact that %pen is calculated first but the fact that so many champs have built in penetration that wasn't nerfed at all and absolutely should have been.

bierfaust

01-17-2013

Armor and Magic res are generally pointless to buy. The only real reason to get them is to gain access to the additional stats on the completed item, like mana/AS slow on FH, and the active and HP on BV.
At the moment the best stat to stack is hp. You are far better off buying 1 armor/MR item and then just stacking HP if you aren't an assassin or burst AP.

But of course there is bugger all hp items in DOM.
I can't speak for SR but in TT HP is king.

Soren Kaleth

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
I've only been playing TT and PG since the start of S3, but resists are worthless there too. The real tanks just stack Health (too bad you can't do that as effectively in Dom). It's not just the fact that %pen is calculated first but the fact that so many champs have built in penetration that wasn't nerfed at all and absolutely should have been.
I have to agree with this completely. Nidalee for instance is the poster child for problem. At one point in the game I had over 200 MR and it seriously did absolutely nothing. She still hit me for over 700 per spear MINIMUM. Even with champs without Magic Pen like Leblanc I honestly don't think I can get enough MR to make it so she can't insta combo me to death. It's disappointing really.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2013

Yes, resists are **** now for the most part. Especially stacking them significantly.

Health has always been the best way to increase effective HP early game, but as you went from 500 to 2k health, armor/MR became better.
But with 15% nerfed armor/MR, 6% buffed AD, huge buffed penetration, and 3% cheaper health, it was pretty apparent than rushing armor/MR was doomed.

VoidInsanity

01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
I am glad someone else noticed. Magic Resist is still good but armour is kind of worthless.

NavyGothic

01-21-2013

It's hard to justify buying armour at the moment. It's not worthless, but it's just not very cost effective.

For MR, I disagree. There's only Void Staff for items, and % magic pen is much rarer as a champion ability (the only two you're likely to see on Dom are Kayle 15% and Nidalee 40%). I never feel like my MR investments are wasted.

konfetarius

01-21-2013

By all means, don't buy MR. Really, your team will thank you.

NamKim

01-21-2013

I feel that people should still regularly buy resistance items. I just don't want enemies' spells to deal true damage or even be multiplied because I went to negative resistance.

Plus, they often come with pretty favorable stats. I often find myself buying MR for the sake of buying MR. But I buy armor for the sake of they have very good passives/actives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetarius View Post
By all means, don't buy MR. Really, your team will thank you.
But, but, Teemo Shrooms!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painkillar View Post
Just faced a Teemo with the new Lightbringer/Sweeper. May the Holy Olaf's light always shine upon thee for these great works thou has bestowed upon the Scar. Amen.
Nevermind

Panzerzs

01-21-2013

I buy resistance items only if they give something more than just mr or def
-FH (CD + aura to help team in general)
-sunfire cape maybe (hp for certain tanks)
-The farthest I'll go with mr is probably maw for melee type only because it has attack and an okay passive shield~
-None the less, in late game, teemo shrooms and nid spears will still do 400-600 which will apply more thanks to **** bft & 12 second free map awareness with 40% armor shreds (no point in buying more mr)
-I don't know about mr for ap casters, maybe spirit visage for healing increase since it gives good stats~

Conclusion: I would say prob as a damage dealer, 1 or 2 items MAX for defense and the rest, just go attack or ap
-Best way to avoid getting frustrated from taking "Tons of Damage" is to have good map awareness and prevent niddale/teemo from constantly trapping/shrooming your jungles
-CC prevents casters like zyra or syndra from attacking, CC wins game, trust.
-You'd be surprised as to what 1 stun dealer on a team can do for you!